walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A case of bad timing on Sgiath Chuil and Meall Glas

A case of bad timing on Sgiath Chuil and Meall Glas

by Redrock » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:31 am

Route description: Sgiath Chùil and Meall Glas from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 09/01/2012

Time taken: 9.7 hours

Distance: 18.6 km

Ascent: 1282m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A case of bad timing on Sgiath Chuil and Meall Glas

Postby monty » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:55 pm

good walk redrock. Its amasing how much snow can slow you down. I do multiple munro routes in the summer knowing that single munro routes are the logical choice in the winter with snow around. Good effort on a long day. :D
monty

Postby monty » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:57 pm

Duplicate entry (slow broadband)
monty

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:13 am

Oh these are a couple of stinkers at the best times!!! I had perfect conditions and found them a slog, so I can only feel a teeny bit of your pain!!

Maybe would be an idea to swerve Mrs Redrock away from this excellent report!!!

Glad you're okay!

P x
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Redrock » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks PeteR, Yes, these are two tough little blighters! In summer because of all the bogs and in winter - well, for the usual reasons! :D Look for the dry season (if we ever have one) when you come to do these! :lol: Meanwhile I will try to tame that devil on my shoulder that eggs me to do more that is wise! :lol:

Hi Collaciotach, sorry you didn't make these two! It might have been me that was the slow walking companion - going by the times! :lol: It's worth coming back to Sgiath Chuil as the views over Glen Dochart - to Ben More and Stob Binnein and beyond - are worth it. Cheers! 8)

Hi Monty, I think I will have to throttle back to single Munros in the winter - or drag myself out of bed for an even earlier start in the dark days! I don't find that easy! :?

Definitely boggy hills, Polly! Mrs Redrock's okay with this - I kept her updated by text. She might even have encouraged me to do these two in winter to avoid me sinking in a bog! :lol: But I certainly sank in a good few snow drifts! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby CharlesT » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Very interesting read. I have just got back to the deep South (England that is - it's freezing) after a week spent mostly around the Fannichs. Found the conditions very wet and boggy low down with streams in spate and very variable snow conditions higher up - sometimes solid enough to walk on, but often with just a crunchy surface which gave way frequently. Found both slowed me down by about 50% along with negotiating stream crossings. Reckon you are right to add 50% to summer times and I would add a further hour to that to allow for dark walk outs, which I found always took me longer even with a good head torch.

Managed to bag six new Munros in four days walking so quite pleased with the trip all in all, but had hoped for better snow and frozen ground. Near gale conditions early in the week was also a factor.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Redrock » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Not bad, CharlesT - six Munros in four days - especially with the windy weather earlier in the week! :D I was out on Friday and the the ice is firming up at most levels - but not that thik yet as I nearly went through the ice on a small lochan at 800 metres! (the ice cracked - but I got off it before I went through!). There's much better progress with crampons on crossing firm snow fields. But I still need to leave extra time! And you are right - the walk off in the dark needs a lot of care - and that means more time again! But it's all worth it when you get a sunny winter's day! :D
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:00 pm

A fantastic report RR. A really enjoyable read. I think I would have been shouting for my "mammy!" if I had been in the same predicament! I love the views more in the wintery conditions but I'm not the most confident walker in the snow . Think I will save these for a balmy July weekend :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Redrock » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks 2dalmations, they're not bad hills done one at a time - even in winter! It's getting from one to the other that makes for the challenge! :D
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby Bod » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi Redrock, a great read this one and a tale of a very interesting day out in the hills. You have been mentioning these two for a long now, so I am glad you've been there now. Some food for thought for me, thank you.
Meant to comment last week when I first read it, and I have enjoyed reading it through again today :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:50 pm

Great entertaining report Redrock! It is amazing how long a straightforward route can take in winter - took me almost 8 hours to do Meal na Letter and Monamenach on Saturday, battling both snow and wind!

Like the pictures, especially the one of Beinn nan Imirean. Looks almost like it's on fire! :shock: :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Redrock » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks Greame, I've certainly discovered that winter timings are a much more complicated thing that those in summer. Sometimes (probably not that often) in good conditions (with the right kind of snow :? - and not too much wind) you can make great time in winter as the snow provides clear routes through the landscape - but other times (most of the time! :lol: ) there is quite a bit of battling to be done! I'm glad you like the look of Beinn nan Imirean - I thought it looked a bit volcanic! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Nice one Redrock, some epic that :D

PeteR wrote:as I found out myself from glen dochart. I often have the devil and the angel on each shoulder encouraging me to go that little bit further, push myself that little bit harder or do the sensible thing and be a tad more cautious or realistic

Dont we all????? :lol:

Redrock wrote:luckyguy68 wrote:
a bit of an epic. Remind me to have been walking for about 5 years before i go out with you. That was a lot of time to be on your feet

You need some Monty training :lol: :lol:

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Redrock » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:22 pm

Bod wrote:Hi Redrock, a great read this one and a tale of a very interesting day out in the hills. You have been mentioning these two for a long now, so I am glad you've been there now. Some food for thought for me, thank you.
Meant to comment last week when I first read it, and I have enjoyed reading it through again today :D

Thanks Bod, I've had a feeling that these would be tough ones all along - and lo and behold they were! :lol: But having said that I thoroughly enjoyed the day out. As you know, I like long days on then hills (which is just as well, really :lol:). The descent by head-torch was interesting - but still an enjoyable challenge. Route finding was a bit harder on the ridge because I couldn't see far enough to pick a clear route - there was a wee bit retracing of my steps at times - but it worked well overall. Great fun! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby Redrock » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:25 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Nice one Redrock, some epic that :D

I might need Monty training too, I think! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Postby dgesl » Sun May 11, 2014 9:30 am

Ben More ffrom Meall Glas.jpg
Ive no idea how you managed that route in the dark ! I really struggled on a sunny Friday past ! I think it was the most difficult hill ive done ! The route is a complete bog ! My legs are still sore on sunday morning ! Don't know how many times I was upto my knees in bog !
dgesl
Mountaineer

Munros:164   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland