walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3rd Munro,1st Winter Walk.Beinn Bhuidhe

3rd Munro,1st Winter Walk.Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 22/01/2012

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 948m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Off call for the weekend,so decided to head out and about. We decided on heading to Beinn Bhuidhe after reading xpfloyd's report from two weeks ago. It's quite local to us,but had thought on keeping it till there were more daylight hours in spring..........but temptation took over.

Parked up in car park for 7am,got the gear on and headed off into the darkness,good chance to test out the new head torch :D Then i remembered my walking poles were still resting against the car !!! So a wee run/jog/walk back to the car to fetch them !!! Take two..........we were on our way.

Not much to see in the darkness,a bit of deer lamping en route. Good we walk in,by the time we got to the gate where you turn off for the hill the daylight was upon us.

Thought the gate and up the side of the burn we went. Lookin to Ben Lui and Ben Oss ?

Enjoyed picking our way up the path next to the burn, passing through the wee scramble section added a wee change to the walk. Once through this the weather took a change,a sleet/snow shower had started as we headed towards the waterfall.

Looking back.

As we climbed,the presence of snow was becoming more and more. Filling/covering the path at various sections. Deep in places.

9.5kms(ish) we were down to using the GPS and the visibilty was poor. Then were faced with this.......

No sign of any paths up here,so we wound our way up,not before having a second look at the GPS again to make sure we really had to go up that !! :lol:

Getting close to top of first section. At this time we were questioning our sanity.....it was confirmed....we were mad !

Almost at Cairn where track splits for Beinn Bhuidhe. There was a nice slope/ridge of snow to negotiate to get to the Cairn. We stuck to the grass area and kept to the left when climbing to the Cairn on track,not having a clue where the original path really was.

Stopped for a wee minute here to see if the weather/clag would lift,but no chance. So we headed off on the last section for the summit. The face was taking a pouding from the snow being blown off the hill so time for a costume change. Didn't know Martin knew sign language,supposedly this sign is the international for ' i really like wind and snow and could do with climbing two munro's today'.

Snow still soft underfoot,we continued to follow the path where we could see it. Some sections pretty close to the edge,the weather made them look worse than what they probably were.
A glimps of hope..............for 1 second.

We came across an icy section but found a higher path on fresh/soft snow. Avoiding the snow covered gully. This took us to the final climb.

The snow was deep but still soft leading to the summit. Just up over the final steep section i looked back to see where Martin was............he was not alone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turned out it was xpfloyd and gman27 plus another two out to conquer the Munro after their last visit. Recon they made up 45 minutes on our head start! Show offs. We all made our way to the summit,we were glad of the company :lol:

After the congratulations of conqering the Summit a wee bite to eat then head back off the hill. We had planned to do the return down the other side of burn,but the weather put us off and decied to head back the way we came in.

xpfloyd and the others,headed down in front of us ( after passing us again) and we stumbled our way back to the road. Why did we never take the bikes!!!! :lol: A long walk back after being on the hill........never so pleased to see the Toyota back at the carpark :lol:

A great walk and glad we done it. Good idea to start nice and early in the dark,rather than home in the dark!!
Felt a bit of a mamoth trek for us to be honest,maybe ambitious for our 3rd Munro,but still enjoyable and still had a laugh. Even managed home with 2 knees still in tact,even better !! Shame about the rest of my aching body :lol:

Good to meet some fellow WH'ers.

Cheers.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: 3rd Munro,1st Winter Walk.Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby pigeon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:09 pm

Well done smiffy ,looked like a toughie there ,got this on the radar for the next few weeks so a handy report :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:10 pm

Excellent report Smiffy,
Great set of photos and mixed bag of weather. Long walk out isnt it :D (I cycled this one)
monty

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:11 pm

haha yer hardy a bhalaich ,good report :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:14 pm

Bit of an epic that for your 3rd Munro - well done.

Love the 2 finger munro photo.

You'll start to find that you cant go on any hill without bumping into some fellow WH members, and its always a friendly experience.

Thanks for posting.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby quoman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Nice one smiffy.
Good report and some nice pic's it is a bit of a hike in/out. the WH gang is everywhere :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:48 pm

Oh a smashing report Smiffy!

Glad you enjoyed the scrambly bit up the side of the burn, that was my fave bit of the whole trip :thumbup:

Congratulations on your 3rd munro :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby PeteR » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Nice report and pictures, despite the weather. This is one I still have to do - a single red blob in a sea of blue :lol: Your report provides an interesting perspective on this hill for me. Thanks for posting :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:32 pm

Great stuff Smiffy, nice to see someone enjoying the conditions, not sure your reading of international sign language is accurate though :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Loved the report Smiffy! Some good atmospheric pics too. One of my favourite hills so far
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Gman27 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Nice Report Smiffy love the photo's,this was a great day out in my book and was nice to finaly meet some fellow WH'ers too.Shame we never got any views at the top eh,glad your knees are intact wish i could say the same for mine I seem to have picked up a wee ankle strain for my troubles :(
Gman27
Munro compleatist

Munros:206   Corbetts:24
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:17

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:09 am

Well done on what i imagine was a hard day out.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:00 am

Nice report mate and good to meet you. You were the first walkhighlander I've met on the hills! Was a good day out although up on the ridge was like a different planet with the crags and the mist, scary looking stuff!
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby smiffysmc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Cheers for the comments. Can't wait for the next outing. Maybe something less strenuous. Ha.
Would definitely recommend the use of a bike to save the legs and a bit if time.
Turns out the international sign language Martin used on the hill, he also uses at work!!! Hmmmmm.
He also said he was sellin all his walking stuff on eBay as well :D
Will need to see if someone will adopt us for a day to help out with some winter skills to give a bit more confidence in bad conditions.

Cheers.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   

Postby fipriestley » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Excellent! Good detailed report and lots of very recent pics. Just what I needed - heading out there this weekend :)

Well done on your first winter walk!
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland