walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Wee walk up the Nebit

A Wee walk up the Nebit

Postby quoman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Route description: Alva Glen

Date walked: 25/01/2012

Time taken: 1.19 hours

Distance: 4.98 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

the law.JPG
The Law

Sitting in the house bored decided to get my wee ruksac packed and head for the Ochills the weather dosent look to good looking out the livingroom window only 25 mins from the hills.

Left the house 11.30am got to the Alva Glen carpark at 12.05 a bit slow because of the traffic lights ats glenbervie golf club.My route was going to be up the Nebit onto Ben Ever then over to Ben Cleuch and back down the silver burn track anyway that never happened got to the top of the Nebit looked across the river forth and seen the dark clouds coming across so decided to head straight to the silver burn track and follow the path back to the car :( :(
DSC01777.JPG
waterfall at the start
big torry.JPG
Big Torry
bengengie hill.JPG
Bengengie Hill
rough knowles.JPG
Rough Knowles
DSC01782.JPG
pano of the forthvalley
the law.JPG
The Law
ben ever ben cleuch.JPG
Ben Ever and Ben Cleuch
DSC01790.JPG
the path up to ben ever
DSC01792.JPG
wood hill on the left
DSC01795.JPG
DSC01799.JPG
the stats
just a wee nice walk :) :)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: A Wee walk up the Nebit

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Good photos, I really like the waterfall :) It is a good wee walk up there and I found it quite tough. Our first attempt was a fail as we followed a circular route that started from the glen and crossed the burn.. we never found the summit of the nebit that day lol. I think the last time we took the same route as you on a windy day and it was quite tough, I always almost slide on those stones on the path coming down!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:11 am

A lovely little wander Quoman, I take it you dodged the rain successfully then?
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby guyincognito » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:35 am

A nice day on a nice hill. It's just good to be out isn't it and this shows that it isn't all just about Munros or epic walks.
guyincognito
Walker

Postby quoman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 am

Sarah86 wrote:Good photos, I really like the waterfall :) It is a good wee walk up there and I found it quite tough. Our first attempt was a fail as we followed a circular route that started from the glen and crossed the burn.. we never found the summit of the nebit that day lol. I think the last time we took the same route as you on a windy day and it was quite tough, I always almost slide on those stones on the path coming down!

Hi Sarah
It sure is a wee lung buster from the start of the walk till the top of the Nebit
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby stuart mclovin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:41 pm

Great area for walking, tend to get up the Glen with the kids, but when i'm out myself it has to be up the Law, onto Ben Cleuch and then on to Calf Craig, Rough Knowes and down Wood hill.

The Laws hard going on a day with nice weather - a killer in the rain or snow!
stuart mclovin
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby quoman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:42 pm

stuart mclovin wrote:Great area for walking, tend to get up the Glen with the kids, but when i'm out myself it has to be up the Law, onto Ben Cleuch and then on to Calf Craig, Rough Knowes and down Wood hill.

The Laws hard going on a day with nice weather - a killer in the rain or snow!

Yeh ave done that route as well up the law sure is a energy sapper and a good workout into the bargain.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby alfie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:49 pm

alrite quoman,ye can walk forever up ochils eh!just all links up well to give ye all kinds of guid walks!ma fave is up kingseat fae tilly glen on to andrew gannell then the cleuch and back down the law to car!brilliant! :D :D
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Great wee report.

Really strange not to see any snow on the hills :shock: :shock:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby morag1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:03 am

I echo what Polly said, seems strange to see a hill with no snow at this time of year

A nice walk though :thumbup:
morag1

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:47 am

pollyh33 wrote:Great wee report.

Really strange not to see any snow on the hills :shock: :shock:

polly the snow can be there in the morning and away by the afternoon :( i can see the hills fi my work so after a earlyshift i can get away up them
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:51 am

alfie wrote:alrite quoman,ye can walk forever up ochils eh!just all links up well to give ye all kinds of guid walks!ma fave is up kingseat fae tilly glen on to andrew gannell then the cleuch and back down the law to car!brilliant! :D :D

I they sure do link up well there's just pick a path and go as far as you want, that law is a killer eh :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:54 am

morag1 wrote:I echo what Polly said, seems strange to see a hill with no snow at this time of year

A nice walk though :thumbup:

Yeh Morag
As i said to polly the snow can come and go in the same day.But done the same route last year and couldn't even get up to the start of the nebit the snow was that deep :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland