walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hurricane Challum

Hurricane Challum

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 21/01/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Note to self: If MWIS says 80mph winds take heed!!

Myself and gman27 decided to tackle Ben Challum on Saturday morning as a warm up for Beinn Bhuidhe on the Sunday. We were parked up in the layby past Crianlarich by 8:15 and on our way over the river and up towards the farm. After crossing the West highland way and 2 burial grounds you pass over the railway at a level crossing. The sign read "authorised users only" at the crossing so I assume that was us. After crossing the railway line a diagonal line is taken North East until the fence is reached. You can then follow the fence as it weaves in and out with the odd turn all the way to the South Summit.

From early on we were feeling the effects of the wind and at times it was hard to keep balance with it. What was it going to be like at the summit we thought, well it didnt take long for us to find out! When the South summit cairn came into view (barely through the cloud and mist!) the wind (think hurricane) was in full effect. Seriously hard to stand up. We fought our way across, past the cain and into the dip before the ridge to the true sumit. This at least offered us some protection from the wind and gave us a chance of getting the crampons on as the snow was getting pretty thick in places. We battled our way onwards and before long we were on the plateu leading to the north summit cairn. The safety goggles I had "borrowed" from the work for the 2 of us were coming into their own now and protecting our eyes from the snow that was being whipped up (even if we did look like a couple of numptys :D) Thankfully the cairn is huge so we managed to get some wind protection behind it and a chance to take a quick photo.

We decided it was too windy at the top to eat even with the protection of the cairn so we descended back onto the dip between the two summits and ate our sandwiches. Going back down was alot easier than it had been going up and it wasnt long before we had descended enough that the wind was now a gentle breeze. We both found this a nice wee hill even though the weather was a bit extreme at times.

Sorry but no pics apart from summit shots taken on my phone as my camera got waterdamaged on Beinn Bhuidhe 2 weeks ago.

2012-01-21 10.36.17.jpg
Me

2012-01-21 10.37.11.jpg
Gregor (gman27)
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Re: Hurricane Challum

Postby Gman27 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Nice report again Edd
remember.......
if it aint blowin it aint munro'in!!
bring on next weeks doubler!!
Gman27
Munro compleatist

Munros:206   Corbetts:24
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:17

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:20 pm

Haha brilliant! Roll on ben dorain!
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:28 pm

haha..... i was on Beinn a Dothaid on Saturday and could barely stand with the wind t was fierce and i crawled to the cárn in style :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby quoman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:07 am

Nice one xpfloyd
Aye the winds on saturday was mental iwas up glenshee got blown all over the place lost ma hat to :( :(
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Fudgie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Despite the horrendous wind, you still got better views up there than I did a few weeks ago. I still think you're off your head going out in that weather :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Great effort on a day like that xpfloyd....but what the hell made you go up there with 80 mph wind forecast :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby xpfloyd » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great effort on a day like that xpfloyd....but what the hell made you go up there with 80 mph wind forecast :shock:

I was asking myself the same question at the top lol
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:48 pm

I'd say the winds I experienced for a short time that day on and near the top of Monamenach were the fiercest I've faced yet, so fair play on seeing this one out. :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby smiffysmc » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:09 am

You guys certainly get about. See this took you 4 hours, I better allow 6. Ha!!
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland