walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fiarach

Fiarach

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Fiarach

Date walked: 23/01/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 450m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the snow level down to around 350m it was time for another wee winter Graham for me. The drive up had most of the Munros covered up from around 2500ft, but I was still hopeful of getting some pretty fab views, and I wasn't to be disappointed, even from the car park I was getting a wee taster 8)
DSC_0019.JPG
Ben Lui not quite showing itself behind Beinn Dubhchraig
DSC_0019.JPG
Ben Lui not quite showing itself behind Beinn Dubhchraig
DSC_0028.JPG
Shy Ben More & Stob Binnein

Left via the Eastern end of the carpark through the gate and followed the track to another gate then over the bridge at over the River where the view was simply stunning with a white Beinn Chuirn looking down over the River, then on towards the bridge over the railway line.
DSC_0033.JPG
Not bad for a 2 min walk from the car park!!
DSC_0043.JPG
Beinn Challum
DSC_0051.JPG
Bridge over railway
DSC_0054.JPG
Beinn Dubhchraig and track where I headed upwards

I took a left just after the bridge and follwed a faint quad track that became a feint path, that then disappeared altogether.
Soon the cloud started rolling in on the fairly brisk breeze giving some sleet on the lower slopes, and the bonus of a slight rainbow which the camera just about picked up, but this passed as quickly as it appeared. At around the 300m mark there were a few small outcrops to avoid, no trouble here, just some fairly steep ground, this then brings you out at a leveller section with peat hags now being the obstacle!!
DSC_0057.JPG
Rainbow
DSC_0062.JPG
Small outcrops

Now into the snow and knowing the steepest section was over with so I could relax and enjoy my surroundings more now 8) As Ben Lui was being shy, it was the Corbett Beinn Chuirn that kept drawing my eye. Hopefully this will be the Corbett to see me into double figures in the near future :D
DSC_0075.JPG
Beinn Chuirn
DSC_0076.JPG
Peat hags & icicles
DSC_0079.JPG
North to Beinn Odhar & Beinn Dorain
DSC_0085.JPG
Tyndrum hills

Once you get to just past the 550m mark, its an easy walk following a fence to the summit, passing Lochan Fiarach, which was looking lovely in the centre of its wintry surroundings 8) The summit itself is on a small rock spur, which was a bit of a surprise, but I had fun playing about on its South side as I waited in hope that Ben Lui would clear, but once the wind broght in some hefty hail, I decided it was time to retreat. The views of the rest of my surroundings more than compensated for Lui hiding 8)
DSC_0089.JPG
Lochan Fiarach
DSC_0092.JPG
Fencline to summit
DSC_0094.JPG
Dubchraig from summit
DSC_0099.JPG
View North
DSC_0103.JPG
Towards Crianlarich Munros
DSC_0109.JPG
Summit
DSC_0126.JPG
Summit spur from South - Playtime!!

Followed the same route down for a fairly swift descent, as always, halfway down and the showers passed, not to worry, still another great wee half day in the snaw 8)
Attachments
DSC_0023.JPG
Beinn Chuirn
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Fiarach

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Fantastic report Lomondwalkers! Loved it! Fiarach is a cracking wee hill, especially the area from the lochan on up to the summit spur, a great viewpoint for some bigger beasts. Reading this brought back almost every step I took on the same ascent route as yourself a couple of years back. Great memories. Thanks. Really good to see it with some white on it too. :D :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Cheers Graeme! I had read yours and kinleys report while looking for a localish quick Graham that I haven't done, so your report came in very handy, especially at the summit as there was no cairn at all. Was there one when you did it? Perhaps the mental winds had blown it down??? Hoping to get my 1st wildcamp after winter. Even with the Munros playing hide-and-seek it was still a great wee hill for views 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Great, smashing, super Dave!!! :D

Ah yes the lovely Fiarach, which I was rather hoping was Dubhcraig :lol: :lol: :lol:

Photos are top-notch as ever. I assume you remembered your 'good' camera and your boots this time :? :?

Did you see anything on the way up that would be good for Friday?
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:56 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Cheers Graeme! I had read yours and kinleys report while looking for a localish quick Graham that I haven't done, so your report came in very handy, especially at the summit as there was no cairn at all. Was there one when you did it? Perhaps the mental winds had blown it down???

Don't remember a cairn as such - a rather insignificant pile of small rocks maybe on top of the rocky spur, but that was probably it.
Graeme D

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Don't remember a cairn as such - a rather insignificant pile of small rocks maybe on top of the rocky spur, but that was probably it.[/quote]

I'll second that, thats all that was there when i did it last year. Polly can you confirm or what hill were you up again? :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:06 pm

Looks a lovely wee hill. Nice one.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Don't remember a cairn as such - a rather insignificant pile of small rocks maybe on top of the rocky spur, but that was probably it.

I'll second that, thats all that was there when i did it last year. Polly can you confirm or what hill were you up again? :D[/quote]

She's aiming to be the first person to unintentinally complete the Grahams due to navigational malfunction! :lol:
Graeme D

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:32 pm

Ahemmmm it was Fiarach on the Monday and Dubhcraig on the Wednesday!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I did head in the right direction, just didn't go far enough (oh er!!!) :oops: :oops: :oops:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:06 pm

Loved the report Dave and, wowee, look at those photos you got, on your mobile no doubt :lol: :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby smiffysmc » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:56 pm

Looks a fantastic walk. Great report. The pictures are stunning.

Cheers.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:07 am

That is a fine wee wander LW one I would have loved to do myself, some incredible views to be had all the way too, shame about the hefty hail but worth it I reckon :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby lomondwalkers » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:22 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Great, smashing, super Dave!!! :D

Ah yes the lovely Fiarach, which I was rather hoping was Dubhcraig :lol: :lol: :lol:

Photos are top-notch as ever. I assume you remembered your 'good' camera and your boots this time :? :?

Did you see anything on the way up that would be good for Friday?

Cheers Polly, remembered everything.....shock horror :lol: Heres hoping I do the same tomorrow!!!

Cheers Graeme & Johnny, nowt left of stone pile now then, bawbag musta blown them off :shock: :lol:

kevsbald wrote:Looks a lovely wee hill. Nice one.

Fab wee hill for views!
SusieThePensioner wrote:Loved the report Dave and, wowee, look at those photos you got, on your mobile no doubt :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Susie. I wish my phone took foties like that, would save a fair bit of weight on my back!! :lol:

smiffysmc wrote:Looks a fantastic walk. Great report. The pictures are stunning.

Cheers.

Thanks Smiffy, a great wee half day, probably not even that if you dont play about on the summit like a daft wean :lol:

ChrisW wrote:That is a fine wee wander LW one I would have loved to do myself, some incredible views to be had all the way too, shame about the hefty hail but worth it I reckon :D

Well worth the sore face Chris, the views from start to finish were suberb 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland