walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Checking Out 170 & The Weight Loss Challenge

Checking Out 170 & The Weight Loss Challenge

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Bhreac

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac

Date walked: 28/01/2012

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 29.4 km

Ascent: 1166m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another big hoof this weekend to continue the training... I won't include the walk up to Derry Lodge as it's covered in other reports, and I just got on with it; 45 minutes with my iPod on!

After Derry Lodge the route takes a right before crossing the river, and continues along a nice track through the woods with the mountains ahead of you appearing and disappearing from view...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 001.JPG
Just past Derry Lodge looking toward the hills...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 002.JPG
The Path beyond Derry Lodge...

A very small cairn marks the spot where it's time to leave the path and head for the hill... Not a great path it has to be said and I'm thankful the ground is all frozen over - I'm not sure I'd fancy this in the summer...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 003.JPG
A Small Cairn marks the spot where you take to the slopes of Beinn Bhreac

The ascent isn't steep at all though, so it's just a case of plod on up - the view to the hills looks good with the Caledonian Pines so I pause for a quick shot...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 004.JPG
Caledonian Pines in the Valley

And not long after that I'm above the snow line :)

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 005.JPG
Getting above the snow line...

And I didn't particularly hang about on the ascent so a short while later and I'm on the lowly summit of Beinn Bhreac; is this the lowest of the Cairngorms? It must be close... Easy hill, especially given the start point...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 006.JPG
The summit of Beinn Bhreac

I stick around at the summit for 20 minutes or so; it's been a long week at work, and I'm just enjoying the scenery...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 007.JPG
Scenery... Blue sky appearing...

I pop over to the lower top before heading on to Beinn a'Chaorainn; again the ground is fairly horrid and I'm thankful it's mostly frozen over; certainly not a hill for the summer... I make a bee line for the western ridge rather than the Walk Highlands Route which takes the Eastern Flank, but omits the subsidiary top of Beinn Bhreac.

I begin to wonder whether I can hoof it over to Ben Avon and do all four; but I talk myself out of it fairly quickly; I'm thinking not a good idea!!

Looking back the cloud is high but thin and it all gets a bit atmospheric... I like... And my fresh tracks :)

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 008.JPG
A Bit of Atmosphere looking back into the sun.... And my fresh tracks...

Other than that I just get on with it; it's not a big ascent; just a couple of hundred metres or so and it's over in no time...

At the summit there isn't a whisper of wind - how often can you say that in the Cairngorms... I loaf about for a full hour as the sun makes an appearance making the scene even more stunning. A casual spot of lunch; (chicken & fruit); wandering aimlessly around the summit; upload a couple of pictures to Facebook to annoy those is the city ;)

So that marks 170 of these Munro things for me - the highest darts checkout - it's all a numbers game...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 009.JPG
The Summit of Beinn a'Chaorainn

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 010.JPG
More Atmosphere looking back toward Beinn Bhreac

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 011.JPG
Summit Views...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 012.JPG
Summit Views...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 013.JPG
Summit Views...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 014.JPG
Summit Views...

Eventually it's time to leave; it's a decent 15km hoof back and I've a two hour drive after that so time to get moving...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 015.JPG
Starting the descent...

The iPod is new; I preferred the dog; but hey; it was nice having music along the way although difficult to make conversation with people, not that there was much need I only saw four people today; all day :)

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 016.JPG
Me... iPod on... A day to just lose yourself...

The views on the descent were gorgeous; and the descent easy enough, certainly nothing technical or steep...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 017.JPG
The colours of the rainbow (top left)... But no rain!!

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 018.JPG
The last bit of the descent...

The walk down the Glen is long but pleasant with gorgeous scenery; though the best of it is behind you... So I stopped for photos a couple of times...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 019.JPG
Looking Back...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 020.JPG
Looking Back Again... I do like those Caledonian Pines!

I liked this little bit through the trees, didn't last more than 10 metres but it felt like a cathederal :)

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn 021.JPG
I liked this little bit...

And all that leaves to cover off is the weight loss challenge; need to shed some weight for the Mullardoch Round so I've organised a full on competition at work in the name of charity; winner being the person who loses the largest % weight as measured against the baseline start weight.

Three weeks in and I'm in the lead shedding a total of 9.5 lbs - that's a few less bags of sugar to be hauling up the hill... We'll see where we get to come May - but need to be in better shape to give Monty another whipping ;)

weight loss challenge.PNG
The Weight Loss Challenge - Three Weeks In...

So ignoring the fact it was a nice day and I stayed at the summits for an hour and twenty minutes - a decent lick of speed for the walk with the 29.4 km coming in well under 6 hours of moving time...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn Stats.jpg
The Stats...

2012 - 01 - 28 - Beinn a'Chaorainn Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Checking Out 170 & The Weight Loss Challenge

Postby craigee » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:22 pm

So the iPod makes company than I ? :(

I'm hurt to the core....

As you know I ventured out alone yesterday conquering the lowly heights of Ben Chonzie - Not a bad wee stroll, considering I was navigating all by myself for once - your expert guidance not required - or was it? It's about time I made my first posting on this wonderful forum board of Walk Highlands - so watch this space.

Well Done on reaching 170 partner and for the weight loss (Bulimic, I heard!) :D
Slanj
Scraggles
craigee
Mountain Walker

Munros:211   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:01 pm

Nice report Andrew. Looks like you had better weather than me. :D Good time :D Mind you not so sure loosing weight and having to stop on each summit for an hour to get your breath back is the way forward :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
monty

Postby nathan79 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Fantastic days weather for some Cairngorm fun. I finishing up a couple of days in Aviemore but too it easy with a stroll up to Green Lochan and around the Rothiemurchus forest.

Better not be too bad in the summer, that's when i'm planning on re-visiting that area.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby starrynights » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:44 pm

What an incredible report.
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Excellent report and some great pictures. I love approaching the Cairngorms from this direction. Makes for a good day out on the hills. I clealry chose the wrong day to re-visit this area though, as I was on Derry Cairngorm just the following day and the cloud stayed low all day. Got some views (eventually) when the cloud broke in the afternoon, but most of the summits seemed shrouded in cloud ....... and then the snow came and made the drive home over the Devil's Elbow an 'experience' :shock:

I was looking across at these two when I was walking and wondering what sort of a day they'd make. From your report and pictures it looks like a good one :D Well, as long as the sun was shining :lol: You've definitely put these two on the radar for me.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:19 am

Slow down man....your catching me up :shock:

Great report again.

I wonder what dodgy sounds are on your ipod!!
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby François » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:07 pm

Really nice pictures!!! I hiked near Braemar 2 weeks ago, this area is really stunning!
François

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland