walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WHW: a gentle introduction

WHW: a gentle introduction

Postby Chrisabelle » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:24 pm

Date walked: 28/01/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A visit by kfrweaving and an opportunity to introduce her to the wonderful West Higland Way we plan to walk in September. A gentle introduction; Milngavie to Mugdock Park and return. I forgot my camera so no photos but did take 2 with my phone at the visitor centre of birds eating my carrot cake crumbs.
421916_10150562022302500_637302499_8802184_1397736802_n.jpg

429493_10150562023607500_637302499_8802186_959294007_n.jpg

We started at the obelisk in Milngavie on an unexpectedly fine but cold day. We followed the WHW until the path divides opposite Milngavie Golf Course and goes uphill to the park. Some of the path was muddy but thankfully most of it was frozen. The boardwalk was quite slippy in places but no accidents occurred, even Charlie the dog stayed out of the mud. (How come he was filthy when we got home! :lol: )
We had a look around Mugdock Castle and marvelled at how Craigend Castle must have looked in its day. On to the visitor centre and were disappointed to find outside tables and seats covered with frozen snow. We had to empty our small rucsacks and sit on them although we were offered trays to sit on! Couldn't go inside; Charlie not allowed. Never mind we enjoyed our hot drinks, toasties and cake (as did our feathered friends).
We returned around Mugdoch Loch; they're asking people to stay off Drumclog moor as the environment is "at risk" due to the very wet weather and high visitor numbers destroying the paths and the areas around them. Besides you can see the dreaded Dumgoyne hill from there :( . Back then to Milngavie via Allander water kfrweaving taking some photos of interesting tree, moss and fungi formations as inspirations for her weaving projects.
A good walk and an introduction of kfrweaving to the type of path she can expect in September. We started planning the big walk when we got back to mine, I can't belive how excited I am at the prospect! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chrisabelle
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland