walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Return to Stuchd an Lochain

Return to Stuchd an Lochain

Postby SMRussell » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:10 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 28/01/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 16.9 km

Ascent: 1311m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Times
SaL 3 hours 20 minutes
MB 2 hours 15 minutes

Some of you may have read my walk report of our ill-fated attempt to bag these two back in December last year (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17306) when bad luck with the car and strong winds left us heading home, tails between our legs.

With the weather for Saturday looking good we thought we’d return and conquer these two before the snow left and we’d be faced with many a bog monster.

The plan was much like our last attempt – get the more arduous SaL out of the way first. We set out late in the day arriving at the parking place near the damn at around 10.50. As we kitted-up we could see the outline of two fellow walkers on the side of SaL and another pair of walkers just began their ascent of MB about 5mins before we were about to head up SaL. We began our ascent of at 11.10.

The ascent, with the absence of deep snow was much quicker than our previous attempt. We made it to the 800mtrs point in just shy of an hour and took a short photo and food break. The views to the Ben Lawers traverse were great – made all the better knowing we had the whole set in the bag. We then had to consider the ascent of the steep section to the 888mtrs point. We had caught up with the walkers we had seen beginning their ascent as we kitted up and noticed they were putting on their crampons. We considered the conditions and promptly did the same – well Roy put on his crampons and I donned my microspikes. As we did so the fellow walkers went over the top and continued towards the summit. This short ascent was quite a challenge for my spikes and I had to revert to a bit of an ice climbing approach whacking my ice axe into the snow and pulling myself up with it. Once up I had a little wonder as to how the hell the spikes would manage to descend that stretch but then thought ‘I’ll deal with that later’.

The summit of SaL soon came into view and looked stunning with a large cornice around the Coire an Lochain. We continued to march along noticing some cloud appearing and feeling the wind picking up. We were soon on the heels of the other walkers and up on the summit. Thankfully the cloud kept away and we were able to take in the views. But being aware of out late start we didn’t hang about and were soon hot-footing it back down the hill – well actually I indulged in a bit of bum sliding … Roy wasn’t too impressed with my disregard for safety…

The march back was uneventful except for my descent down the steep section from earlier. Two other walkers and their dog were having a seat not far from where we had taken our photo and food break earlier – ‘Oh great, an audience’ I thought! I considered my route, Roy disagreed with my choice and headed his own way. I was carefully descending when suddenly my spikes lost grip and I was flying down on my back – instinct made my attempt to plunge the spike of the axe into the ground and then my rational mind kicked in – I spun myself around and whacked the pick into the icy snow as hard as I could and thus came to a halt. The walkers below were looking on in horror! Weirdly I felt fine and just thought ‘well that was a bit of a jolly!’ and pulled myself back up and carried on with the couple below shouting for me to keep to the right. A little later it came to me that my little jolly could easily have ended very badly if I hadn’t been able to stop. I headed over to the couple and their dog to thank them for their concern and received a very loving welcome from their gorgeous black lab.

The rest of the descent was a straight forward trudge. Once back at the car we realised that the number of light hours had depleted and the bagging of MB would have to be brisk. As we ascended we passed the couple who had been heading up MB as we were kitting up. As I looked around I began to regret our late start as it was clear the views were just going to get better and better but we didn’t have the time to take it all in.

We bumped into two very friendly walkers at the cairn at 917 mtrs so stopped for a chin wag before continuing over the plateau to the summit cairn. The cloud had really come in over the plateau but thankfully cleared enough for some summit shots. Obligatory summit photos taken and it was a knee breakingly swift descent back to the car to ensure we made it back with some daylight.

Two great hills these and pleased to have returned and triumphed – and stopped myself from flying down the side of a mountain! Photos (not full quality) and videos (can be watched in HD) below!

1.jpg

2.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JdbKV9FG98&feature=youtu.be&hd=1[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV8PJqpfw_Y&feature=youtu.be&hd=1[/youtube]
3.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrjLrNyygiw&feature=youtu.be&hd=1[/youtube]
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

12-1.jpg

14.jpg

15 cloud.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg
Last edited by SMRussell on Wed May 09, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Return to Stuchd an Lochain

Postby monty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Nice report Smrussell.
Some excellent photos. I was up s&l not so long ago and had fun glisading down the icy slope. Good fun when it works :lol:
Good effort bagging m&b also.
monty

Postby SMRussell » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Cheers Monty - despite the danger my unintentional slid was as fun as the bumslide down from the summit :lol: Although a little more care shall be taken in the future. I was a little concerned we might have to get the head torches out during our descent from MB but we were up and down in fine time - but it is fair to say we deserved the hoegaarden and the few drams consumed when we got back :D
SMRussell

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:29 pm

A great report, loved it, and some fantastic photos, glad you succeeded this time :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby SMRussell » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:56 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:A great report, loved it, and some fantastic photos, glad you succeeded this time :thumbup:

Cheers Susie! We were glad also. Our knees have been resting up today mind - in fact we are about to tuck into the 3rd course of tonight's dinner tucked up in bed watching 'Deadwood' - I say this with NO shame! :lol:
SMRussell

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:29 am

Great stuff SMR, looks cold as hell though :lol: glad you got back there successfully but the description of that slide suggests it could easily have been a different tale :shock: good to hear you maintained your head and did it right, great report :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby quoman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:18 am

Well done on completing the two this time cracking pic's.

Those microspike's are fine but you need the crampons.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:30 am

Photo 8 is stonking!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:20 pm

The photo of the dam with the hill reflecting i the water is a belter. That was a good effort to do those two hills in such a short space of time.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby SMRussell » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:08 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff SMR, looks cold as hell though :lol: glad you got back there successfully but the description of that slide suggests it could easily have been a different tale :shock: good to hear you maintained your head and did it right, great report :D

Actually, aside from the summits, it wasnae that cold! Yes, that slide might have been the end of me or at least the breaking of my pride and a few bones! I'm glad I'd read up on winter skills earlier in the year and got in a good few practice arrests early in the snow season. Actually my first 'for real' ice axe arrest was during our first attempt at this hill - perhaps it had it in for me :shock:

quoman wrote:Well done on completing the two this time cracking pic's.
Those microspike's are fine but you need the crampons.

Cheers quo. I must confess I've been pondering how to scrape some funds together for some C1s, but I'd also new boots as mine aren't compatible :( Darned expensive hobby this hiking malarkey!

kevsbald wrote:Photo 8 is stonking!

Fudgie wrote:The photo of the dam with the hill reflecting i the water is a belter. That was a good effort to do those two hills in such a short space of time.

Oh you're too kind - they're not even the full quality versions. Must confess I was pleased with is one also :D
SMRussell

Postby jonny616 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Great report & pics. I did these two a while back. MB on the friday night & cooked my tea at the summit then camped by the dam & did SaL the next morning.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:13 am

Great report again with some no bad photos :)

Glad you managed them this time.

Nice lumi top you have - MR would have no problem spotting you 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SMRussell » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:32 pm

jonny616 wrote:Great report & pics. I did these two a while back. MB on the friday night & cooked my tea at the summit then camped by the dam & did SaL the next morning.

Cheers Jonny! I like the thought of cooking-up some grub on a Munro summit but they're almost always so darn windy! Perhaps some hot soup in a flask for the next one :D Some camping out will definitely be on the cards soon as we are running out of Munros within a drivable distance.
SMRussell

Postby SMRussell » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:38 pm

dooterbang wrote:Nice lumi top you have - MR would have no problem spotting you 8)

For sure! I realised everything I was wearing up in the hills was back and with the addition of my black balaclava I was becoming "Darth Hiker"! Decided to be a bit more safety conscious (and distance myself from the darkside) so I got my hands of a few 'striking' garments :D
SMRussell

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland