walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Winter Munros at Glenshee

First Winter Munros at Glenshee

Postby jenniferc6 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:14 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 28/01/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 595m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a good forecast for the day I headed off to Glenshee to do my first winter Munros. On the drive over, there were fantastic views of a snowy Lochnagar with a pink sunrise as a backdrop which was a promise of what turned out to be a fine, clear day for walking. The car park was just beginning to fill up at Glenshee as I set off. I saw a ptarmigan looking very striking in its winter coat with his red wattles and black tail feathers and a mountain hare around the summit of Carn Aosda, which I reached in less than 30 minutes after leaving the car park.
100_2398.JPG
Cairngorms

100_2402.JPG
Frozen Loch Vrotachan

After leaving the ski development behind, the walk over to Carn a’Gheoidh in the sunshine was brilliant with great views in all directions and it was very still and calm on the summit.
100_2412.JPG
Snow mobil tracks

100_2411.JPG

100_2419.JPG
Slopes of Carn a'Gheoidh

100_2421.JPG
Summit of Carn a'Gheoidh

100_2420.JPG

Once I had taken in the views, it was back over to the Carinwell and I also saw the statue of Wainwright beside the car park.
100_2430.JPG

100_2435.JPG
Mr and Mrs Wainwright

I couldn't have asked for better conditions and I'm very glad I finally got round to climbing some Munros in winter since the snowy hills are stunning, especially when the sun shines.
jenniferc6
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:182
Fionas:42   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:10

Re: First Winter Munros at Glenshee

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Great pics, had similar weather apart from a tad more wind !! :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby davetherave » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:21 pm

Well done on your first winter venture into the hills. That was a very fast time as well ,what was your transport was it that snowmobile. :lol:

Was a great day the 28th. I was just north of you doing An Socach and Beinn Lutharn Mhor. One of our better one day trips, due to the weather and the stunning views.

Its good to know that others enjoyed the day. :)
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Alastair S » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Looks like a grand day - and a good starting place from some winter Munro'ing. These may not be the most charismatic of Munros but they are a great place for wild-life.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby jenniferc6 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks everyone :)
[quote="davetherave"]Well done on your first winter venture into the hills. That was a very fast time as well ,what was your transport was it that snowmobile. :lol:
quote]
No engines involved, just my legs with a little help from my poles and ice axe along the way :lol:

It's definitely a good place to start off some winter munros, especially since the road was well gritted for the ski centre so I didn't have to worry about getting my car stuck.
jenniferc6
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:182
Fionas:42   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:10

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland