walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Socach And Beinn Lutharn Mhor from Baddoch

An Socach And Beinn Lutharn Mhor from Baddoch

Postby davetherave » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar), Beinn Iutharn Mhòr

Date walked: 28/01/2012

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 26.5 km

Ascent: 1450m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Saturday 28th January 2012
Completed by. Dave Wilson and Jake
Weather. Clear and crisp.
Time. 8hrs 30min
Distance. 26.5 km
Ascent. 1450 m
Hills.
Munro’s x 2
Corbett’s x 0
Grahams x 0

An Socach
And
Beinn Lutharn Mhor

our route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Starting from.
Baddoch

This was to be a boy’s only day trip. What I mean by that is Julie my main walking partner and wife could not make it to day. She had more important things on her agenda than walking the hills… she was off getting the old eyebrows sorted (shaped and dyed) Awww that’s wimmin for yea ehhh. :lol: :lol: So for one day only it was the two dogs and I. Boys only.

Its been a while since our last Munro, we have been concentrating on Corbetts lately, and originally this weekend was to be no different, but after getting good feedback on the weather forecast for Saturday I changed the plans.

An Socach had become a bit of a bogie for us, come to think of it so had Beinn Lutharn Mhor! Back in October 2009 we had tried to do Carn Bhac, Beinn Lutharn Mhor and An Socach from Invery. It was a poor day, and I do remember having a few problems navigating at times. On that day I was not sure if we had really reached the Summit of Beinn Lutharn Mhor as we could not find the Cairn, I mentioned this on the TR I typed up on WH, and to make matters worse still we had run out of time to even make an attempt on An Socach.

Doogz kindly got back in touch with me to confirm my worst nightmare. He said there was a rather large cairn on the summit. :shock: Grrrrr

So the plan today was to rectify our past failings. I decided on attacking the hills from Baddoch. It would be a big day in winter, but the forecast was in our favour. And if I could drag my scrawny body out of bed early enough I hoped we could be on top of Sgor Mhor at sunrise. Thankfully today everything did go to plan.
From Sgor Mor it was still a fair hike to the summit of An Socach along a broad “S” shaped ridge. But, on a day like this it was not a problem, weather and views were amazing.
1 (11).JPG
sgor mor 1

1 (16).JPG
sgor mor 2

1 (20).JPG
sgor mor 3

1 (30).JPG
An Socach summit

1 (33).JPG
and again just incase.

From An Socach we would see the steep NE shoulder of Beinn Lutharn Mhor with its layer of compact snow all the way up to the shoulder. To ascend this would need the use of the crampons.

Once we dropped down to the Allt Beinn Lutharn the dogs and I took a well-earned rest and re fuelled before starting to climb the steep NE shoulder that would eventually lead us to the Beinn Lutharn Mhor summit. This time we really had reached the summit of that I’m sure.

Met our only person of the day as we descended Beinn Lutharn Mhor, a guy doing a bit of ski touring. He had done the Cairnwell, Cairn Asoda and was on his way to Beinn Lutharn Mhor when we met, 5 more minutes I said 10 max and you will be on the summit, we then parted company. Round about Mam Nan Carn I look back to see the guy skiing down the south slopes at speed, but in a controlled fashion, really was a joy to watch.
1 (37).JPG
NE shoulder

1 (42).JPG
looking back to An Socach

1 (47).JPG
An Socach

1 (54).JPG
got yi this time Yeahh.

1 (58).JPG
the evidence (Jake summits)

1 (67).JPG
Loch nan Eun Pano

1 (71).JPG
Loch nan Eun

1 (73).JPG
and again

1 (77).JPG
Jake explores

1 (82).JPG
Wilson ( The Bald Beardie ) poor thing !

1 (83).JPG
Jake ( the youngster )

I had originally planned to climb Beinn Lutharn Beag but I now decided against this due to the extra effort needed; instead I contoured around the south and enjoyed the views of the frozen Loch Nan Eun. From the Lochan I follow its outlet out until I come to the 4x4 track. At this stage I was pretty tired, the terrain from the Lochan until I reached the track was tough going, I was very glad to reach the track for the final outward journey.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: An Socach And Beinn Lutharn Mhor from Baddoch

Postby Lastofthesummerwine » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Nice photos and glad you had a dry day but I bet it was bitterly cold up there.
Lastofthesummerwine
Mountain Walker

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Nice report Dave and some cracking pictures too!. Not sure I would have been too happy if ruby had gone of to investigate that big hole - she would only be looking for the biscuit tin anyway !!! :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby kevsbald » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:43 pm

WTF have you done to Wilson????? :o SSPCA, I'm calling them to take ownership - how could you??? Or was he smelling?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby jonny616 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:51 pm

Great photos. Must have been busy up there with all the reports coming in. :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby SMRussell » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:53 pm

kevsbald wrote:WTF have you done to Wilson????? :o SSPCA, I'm calling them to take ownership - how could you??? Or was he smelling?

My thoughts also! I think you can tell from photo 15 that Wilson is not pleased with his new hairdo :lol:
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby pigeon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Good effort dave,was up an socach today and could see hee-haw :(
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:43 am

A big day out there Dave

Liked the report and the pic's that was some hole that jake was looking in :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PeteR » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:22 pm

What a difference a week makes :shock: I was on An Socach the previous weekend (22 Jan) and enjoyed almost zero views. I took the same route up as you. The pull to the summit was longer than I had expected, but then I tend to lose focus if I can't see where I'm going :lol: I had a wee breeze to contend with when I was up there and if I can master the technology I'll upload the short video clip I took when I do eventually get round to posting a report.

It's good to see what I missed though. Especially loved the sunrise shots :D I think I'll have to go back one day when the sun is shining.

Loving Wilson's new look too :D If you could just get the clippers to my lad that would be much appreciated. He seems to believe that walking around with a haystack on your head is "cool".
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:41 pm

cracking stuff dave - looks so much nicer in the snow and sun ! :D that's a fair size of snow hole and overhang being explored by jake in "Jake explores" 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby davetherave » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:11 pm

Thanks again guys. :)

kevsbald wrote:WTF have you done to Wilson????? SSPCA, I'm calling them to take ownership - how could you??? Or was he smelling?

That had the wife and i doubled up with laughter Kev. :lol: very true indeed though.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland