walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Mor (Easter Ross)

Meall Mor (Easter Ross)

Postby foggieclimber » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Mór (Easter Ross)

Date walked: 28/01/2012

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 20.7 km

Ascent: 910m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I set off from home at 05:30 this morning - destination Meall Mor, Easter Ross.

Most seem to ascend Meall Mor from Eileanach Lodge in Glen Glass – probably because that’s the route described in Andrew Dempster’s book “The Grahams”. To be different, I fancied an ascent from Boath via the Novar Wind Farm.

I arrived at the start of the walk around 08:00 and was off walking before sunrise.

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

Start of walk – track to Ballone:

I followed the track past Easter Ballone, for just over 1km, before taking the track leading to the Novar Wind Farm.

Easter Ballone:

As I walked along the track past Easter Ballone, the early morning colours were lovely.

Nice dawn sky:

Cnoc Ceislin:

On starting up the track towards the windfarm, I was a bit surprised to see that this windfarm was now approaching fifteen years old.

Start of track leading to Novar Wind Farm:

Meall Mor still looked quite far away.

Meall Mor in distance (snow-covered hill in right of picture):

The weather in the East looked really good this morning and the clarity was excellent. I could see across the Moray Firth but wasn’t 100% sure of what hills I was looking at :oops:.

Looking across to Nigg and across Moray Firth (zoomed):

I arrived at the first of the wind turbines exactly an hour after setting off.

Lovely morning:

The wind turbines definitely spoil the view across to Ben Wyvis - but you just need to walk beyond the wind turbines to get an unspoilt view.

Glas Leathad Beag of Ben Wyvis:

Carn Chuinneag (zoomed):

A short distance beyond the initial wind turbines, I reached Health & Safety signs for the construction of Novar Wind Farm 2 – the sequel. I think it’s good that they are adding more wind turbines to the same hill instead of building yet another set of wind turbines on yet another hill.

The construction workers must have set off up the hill even earlier than myself as they were already busy putting together new wind turbines.

Thankfully no Health & Safety jobs-worths today - was nice to get a friendly wave instead :D.

Putting together a wind turbine:

I thought the views this morning were lovely, regardless of wind turbines.

Looking back across the windfarm:

Looking back across the windfarm:

As we made our way through the windfarm, the tracks were becoming increasingly filled with snow. This pleased Beinn, especially when he got to chase snowballs.

Beinn enjoying the snow:

Cromarty Firth (zoomed):

There are quite a few twists and turns and ups and downs following the windfarm track but I found it quite enjoyable.

Was nice to get a view down to Loch Morie and across Sutherland.

Loch Morie:

Looking towards Meall Mor:

After passing the final wind turbine, it was nice to get a clear view across to Ben Wyvis.

Glas Leathad Beag of Ben Wyvis:

Beyond the final wind turbine lies an expanse of peat hags. Thankfully today the ground was mostly frozen.

Beyond the turbines - peat hags:

I wasn’t sure if Meall an Tuirc was a Graham Top. I bypassed it during the ascent but decided that I would ascend it on the return.

Looking back to Meall an Tuirc:

Ascending Meall Mor:

Beinn:

The 2.5km from the end of the track to the summit (and the 2.5km back) required more effort than following the track.

Meall Mor from un-named 656m top:

Looking back:

On reaching a fence, we followed it to the summit.

Following the fence-line to the summit of Meall Mor:

Was a bit disappointing when we reached the summit that it was capped in cloud.

Beinn at the summit of Meall Mor:

Glas Leathad Beag of Ben Wyvis from the summit of Meall Mor:

Beinn at the large cairn below the summit:

We didn’t hang around at the summit as it was a long way back. We returned via the same route, except for a slight diversion to summit the Graham Top, Meall an Tuirc.

Loch Glass:

Top of Meall an Tuirc:

Looking across Mount Eagle to the Cairngorms (zoomed):

Descending back to the start:

Really enjoyed this Graham and was glad that I had opted to ascend via this route :D.
foggieclimber

Re: Meall Mor (Easter Ross)

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Looks a nice walk, spoiled by, dare i say it, the wind turbines. They are quite daunting things to come across when walking in poor visibility. I'm not against them but saying that i don't like seeing them on the hills :?
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby davetherave » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Nice one Malky,........ sorry i mean Foggie :lol:

The Snow line in the Cairgorms must me of similar height as in W ross.

Ahh for those clear crisp winter skies, as for those hills to the East sorry.. :oops: :oops:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:26 pm

Nice report and some great photos, loved the colour of the early morning sky :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:39 am

Great stuff as always Foggie and some beautiful shots throughout, but those from the morning are stunners, I actually think the wind turbines add something to those photos. You maintained a good time over a fair distance too :D have you ever tired Beinn out :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:23 am

No doubt about it, you win most esoteric hill of the month compo - what will you do once you've bagged all the Grahams?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby morag1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:02 am

Looks a great walk, nice to see a part of the country I have never been to. Your dog looks really happy to be out

Impressive time for such a long distance :D
morag1

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks. Beinn was fairly tired after the walk.
He pretty-much just lay sleeping yesterday :)

According to Naismith's the walk should have taken 5.6 hrs (based on good terrain 5km/hr).
Took me 5.25 hrs, so not that fast really. I didn't stop for any breaks (as per normal).
foggieclimber

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:26 pm

Would love to have been home this weekend. I went up this the ordinary way, but I must re-visit from this side, as I've never been up Glen Morie, and that whole area east of Ben Wyvis is really nice in a forgotten sort of way. Nice photos 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland