walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My first Munro : Carn Bhac

My first Munro : Carn Bhac

Postby François » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 18/01/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First at all, I'm sorry for my broken English... I'm a french student found of hiking!

Last Wednesday, I have hiked my first Munro. After a lot of mountains hiked in the French Alps, it was my first time of hiking in the Highlands.

I have started the hike at Inveray. Direction South, I have followed the Glen Ey until Auchelie. At this point (some houses in ruins) I have turned right (Direction West) to hike the Carn nan Seileach by following the all-terrain vehicules track. At the end of the track, I have continued South to join the summit of the Carn Creagach (894 meters high).
One this summit reached I have continued in the West direction to join the pass which link the Carn Creagach and the Carn Bhac. Once this pass joined I had to stop for half an hour because of a heavy snow shower. Then I have hiked the Carn Bhac until the summit (946 meters high) There was an really high speed wind on the summit and it was really cold. I had to leave quickly because of the low temperature.

For my way down I have followed some little paths to the South to reach the valley between the Carn Creagach and the Carn Cruinn. Once the ruins of Altanour Lodge reached, I have followed the Ey Burn until Inverey.

Way which follow the Glen Ey

Auchelie

Carn Bhac summit

Looking North from the Carn Creagach summit

Carn Creagach summit

Looking North from the Carn Bhac summit

Carn Bhac summit

On the way down

Left or Right?

Altanour Lodge's ruins

Glen Ey

Looking North on the way down
François

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Re: My first Munro : Carn Bhac

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Congratulations on your first Munro and on a very good report :thumbup: I still have this Munro to climb so a very handy report although i have cycled down Glen Ey :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby SMRussell » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:48 pm

Well done on your 1st! Bit of an outside choice for a first Munro I'd have thought. Bagged this with Beinn Iutharn Mhor on a wet and misty day in the summer. We cycled the long approach though - saved us a great deal of time esp as we set out really late in the day. Plus cycling in means your thighs are thoroughly pumping with lactic acid and ready for the ascent :D Mind you due to our late start we ended up cycling back down the track in the moonlight without cycle lights or head-torches brilliant fun :lol:

Hope there are more reports to come! :D
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby jonny616 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Well done on your first Munro & report. Only 282 to go :lol: :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby mrssanta » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:47 pm

it's a good one to do in the winter as the hags at the top of the track up from Auchelie are awful in the wet.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 am

Well done Francios - glad you managed to get out and sample Scotlands hills.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby François » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks everyone for all these comments!
I'm back to France and I already miss Scotland.... :(
I'd like to go hiking on the Highland's snow!
François

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland