walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The one that slipped away

The one that slipped away

Postby fipriestley » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:07 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 28/01/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having read smiffysmc's fab report (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18116) on this walk just 6 days earlier, I knew it was a bit ambitious starting at 9am when our chief navigator (and driver!) had a strict deadline to be home by.

Power walked the 5 miles or so to get to the hill (in hindsight thinking a pair of trainers would have been better for this bit!).
IMAG0641.jpg
long walk in
IMAG0645.jpg
off tarmac but still a fair way to go

Started up the hill, managed the scramble navigating the rocks no problem, beginning to recognise scenery from Smiffy's report :) There was definitely more snow this week though!
IMAG0648.jpg
IMAG0649.jpg
more snow than last week
IMAG0650.jpg
almost same pic as Smiffy, just more snow :)
IMAG0652.jpg
up and over snow covered rocks
IMAG0654.jpg
icicles hanging off rocks

Although not raining, the mist came down and visibility dropped.
IMAG0655.jpg
looking back as mist came in

Needed to get ice axes out and I did have to cut a few steps (aagh! still no micro spikes :problem: ) Slow progress getting up and it became harder to see.. turned to whiteout and I was relying on stepping in to the footsteps made before me. Although I'd checked out the map before this outing, I hadn't appreciated the long ridge at the top - like false summits, I think.. couldn't see much in front of me but it felt like each climb would see me at the top but instead there was a flat or a dip then another climb.

Caught up with others in the group on a flat and it was decided to call it a day as we were running out of time. One of the group had already made it up the next climb which did turn out to be the last one, and I did briefly think of running up and back to catch them up again (like I had the energy! :lol: ), but instead headed back down with the group. Means I get to try again, hopefully with views next time - can't have it all though, there was no wind at all today!

Returned the same way we went up. On the way back down I got to sit and slide in the soft snow, wheee! :lol: Fine getting back down over the rocks, but then twice I lost my footing and had to stop myself with an ice axe arrest :shock: This was my first time for real ie hadn't intended to go so wasn't a controlled slide, and trying to kick out steps while hanging on to the anchored axe so I could get back onto the path was a new experience :D

Another great day out and we just about made that deadline for getting back home!
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: The one that slipped away

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:21 am

Oh no Fi !!! You must have been about 95% of the way there!!! :( :(

Can't believe you did the scramble in those conditions :o :o

I really enjoyed that part but I did it on a dry sunny and still found it a wee bit scary :lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting such a smashing report. :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby pigeon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 pm

You must have been gutted to get so close,looked a rough day.If in doubt bail out,surely you'll get a better day next time.Good on you for giving it a go :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Hard luck Fi
But atleast you can do it again take a bike the next time for the road in/out i never done that when i did the hill last year the walk back about killed me it was pouring wi rain all day :(
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby fipriestley » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:13 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Thanks for posting such a smashing report. :D

Thanks Polly! Glass half full, I'm not toooo disappointed - pleased with what I did do and enjoyed the rock scramble :)

pigeon wrote:If in doubt bail out,surely you'll get a better day next time.Good on you for giving it a go :thumbup:

Thanks Pigeon - hope so. Only slightly gutted as I wasn't in doubt that I could do it, just ran out of time!

quoman wrote:take a bike the next time for the road in/out i never done that when i did the hill last year the walk back about killed me it was pouring wi rain all day :(

Hi Quoman! Don't mind that bit, been power walking for years but it was tougher on my feet in boots! Shame about your weather but well done for getting this one :)
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby smiffysmc » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:29 pm

Unlucky Fi!!! It's a bit of a slog up there. Ha. All that extra snow probably would have had us turning back. It's the not knowing exactly what your standing on that's the problem for me. Was the steep snow ridge just before the track splits at cairn still there? I didn't enjoy that bit as its a long slide down!!! We almost turned back on the second last wee false summit. Then on the last wee stretch :D

Glad our report was of use. We went after seeing xpfloyds report, that's what's great about the WH forum. The more up to date reports the better :)

Cheers.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jonny616 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:36 pm

Good effort Fi. You'll enjoy it all the more when you nail it 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Redrock » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 pm

Hard luck, Fi - I known that turn back feeling! :lol: But you were smart not to stretch it too much! Ice, snow and all the other winter stuff (including heavy-duty boots! :thumbdown: ) really make it hard to stick to a schedule. But here's hoping the sun will be shining and the sky will be blue for you next time! 8) P.S Glad the ice axe did it's stuff for you! :D
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland