walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hart Side

Hart Side

Postby Phooooey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Hart Side

Date walked: 29/01/2012

Time taken: 6

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 850m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Glenridding - Hart Side

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Everything about today was Ying & Yang ??
What am I talking about you ask ? Well, I had this walk about as prepared as I've ever been with the packed lunch ready by 8 the previous night. The route was planned backwards going upto the YMCA above Glenridding then up right onto Hart Side before turning round and coming back over Sheffield Pike and Glenridding Dodd. I'd planned it this way so that the climbing was early in the walk and then using the other peaks as stepping stones back to the village.

As John, Damson & I set off we we got through the entire Lake District from Barrow to Glenridding seeing only 2 other cars and got to the car park before 9:00. All good so far !
The trek upto the YMCA and up the zig zags (Stang End) towards Stick Pass was easy going and we flew past 4 other teams of yompers, skiers and snowboarders heading upto the lifts on the side of Raise. All good !
DSC_0001.JPG
View back down Glenridding Valley from top of zig zigs - Stang End
DSC_0003.JPG
Damson climbs Stang End

We hit the snow at the top of the zig zags and on arriving at the footbridge there we were in a constant 10-15" of snow with only footsteps to give any sense of path. This was pure energy sapping climbing up to the right of the quarry falls and even more so on the fresh snow crossing the mile or so to Hart Side.
DSC_0006.JPG
Heading up to Hart Side - right of quarry falls
DSC_0008.JPG
Looking down on Ullswater from Nick Head
DSC_0012.JPG
View across to Catstycam and Helvellyn range
DSC_0013.JPG
Ski Lifts on side of Raise were fully operational today

You can guess where this is going now !!
On reaching a cold, windswept, deep snow drift laden summit John said he would prefer finding another way down instead of going back the way we came and in my eagerness to get going again and stay warm, I glanced at the map and found that carrying on from where we'd come followed a path down with the added advantage of footsteps going that way.
DSC_0014.JPG
John takes well earned breather
DSC_0016.JPG
Damson's 121st Wainwright - Hart Side summit
DSC_0020.JPG
Pooley Bridge end of Ullswater from Hart Side
DSC_0022.JPG
Patterdale Head of Ullswater from Hart Side

After all that planning, I forgot the most basic of yomping rules that states "ensure the path leading down from your fell takes you in the right direction and at the very least not into a valley 3 over from the one you actually want". I realised this after we'd dropped a considerable distance and then made another terrible decision. I planned on getting back across to Glencoyne and decending from there without actually checking the map to see if there was a route down. Needless to say we were up there for at least 2 hours longer than expected, and nearly every step of the way was harder than the snow on the top we had tried to avoid. :? To top it all one foot went about 40" into the snow as a deep snow drift shifted under my weight and I ended up doing the splits, completely wrecking my walking trousers in the process ... lucky I had my Ron Hills on underneath or it would have been extremely nippy and rather unpleasant for anybody we passed. :(

On reaching the northern bank of the Glencoyne Valley we then realised that we either had to re-climb back up to the col below Sheffield Pike on a treacherous path (in those conditions) round the valley walls or head down a path leading away from the car to Aira Force.
As you can see the Aira Force path was taken leading to a 2.5 mile trek back down the road to Glenridding.

Needless to say, lessons were learnt today by both myself and John, but not so much by Damson who seemed to love every minute of it especially being out for that much longer in snow piles about twice as big as she. She looked like a rabbit for most of the day hopping from one footstep to another. She didn't complain about the cold much either and was determined to have a dip in Ullswater on the last leg. :)
Last edited by Phooooey on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Hart Side

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Where's your actual report and photos, where was Damson????
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Phooooey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Sorry Susie, you are on here early today. Decided a bath was slightly more important than my blog at the time. I know ... another bad decision. :lol: Photos being sorted now and will be up in next hour or so.
Phooooey

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Phooooey wrote:After all that planning, I forgot the most basic of yomping rules that states "ensure the path leading down from your fell takes you in the right direction and at the very least not into a valley 3 over from the one you actually want". I realised this after we'd dropped a considerable distance and then made another terrible decision.
Hi Phooooey

Look forward the the photos, sounds like you had fun up there. I have still to top Hart Side and working out a route myself..Not sure I will do yours tho :lol: :lol:

Great stuff :D
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby Phooooey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:05 pm

It would be a great walk in summer but the snow was so deep up there that every step was hard work. We have to go back next week to complete Sheffield Pike & Glenridding Dodd now !!
Phooooey

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:58 pm

Well, I'm back and glad to see everything's there now. Sorry I was too quick :lol:

Great report and photos and well done Damson on her 121st Wainwright :clap:

Phooooey wrote:As you can see the Aira Force path was taken leading to a 2.5 mile trek back down the road to Glenridding.
Not a good way to finish your walk, sadly :(
SusieThePensioner

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:54 am

Good stuff phooooey, the 'detour' may not have been entirely to your liking but at least Damson enjoyed it :wink: some nice pics, those three of Ullswater are beautiful, glad you didn't include one of the trouser accident :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Phooooey » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Its now the morning after and I'm the only one to survive.
Our exploits yesterday have caused John to book a holiday from work as it took more out of him then he'd originally thought and Damson didn't even get out of her bed to say goodbye this morning as I left for work. I think that is only the second time she's done that in the last 2 years plus of having her.
Ultimately it must do us good but have to confess that an early night will be on the cards for me too. After I've been shopping for some more pants that is ... :( :lol: :?
Phooooey

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:54 pm

That sounded like truly hard graft!
Enjoyed the report more than I would have the
walk ;)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby simon-b » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Phooooey wrote:It would be a great walk in summer but the snow was so deep up there that every step was hard work. We have to go back next week to complete Sheffield Pike & Glenridding Dodd now !!

Be careful on the ridge between Sheffield Pike and Glenridding Dodd if it's under snow or ice, Phooooey. Especially if descending that way: make sure you pass Heron Pike on the south side.

I hope you enjoyed Hart Side in the end, despite the "change of plan". Thanks for an entertaining tale!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:08 pm

Phooooey wrote:Damson didn't even get out of her bed to say goodbye this morning as I left for work.

Aaah, bless her! Hope you've done your shopping :lol:

Looking forward to your next adventure :)
SusieThePensioner

Postby Phooooey » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks for the warning SimonB !
John has orders from his boss this weekend so it could be just Damson & I (weather permitting).

I think I'll stay away from anything with a ridge or slightly dangerous if I get out.
And a blast up the high street to our local "Winfields" on the way home from work. :lol:
Phooooey

Postby simon-b » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:10 pm

Phooooey wrote:Thanks for the warning SimonB !
John has orders from his boss this weekend so it could be just Damson & I (weather permitting).

I think I'll stay away from anything with a ridge or slightly dangerous if I get out.
And a blast up the high street to our local "Winfields" on the way home from work. :lol:

The ridge itself isn't a sharp arete or anything like that.

But it is important to get the right route. Coming down that way in September 2010, I passed Heron Pike on the wrong side and ended up on rough, steep ground on the east flank of Sheffield Pike. That would not have been good in winter.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Phooooey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks for the note !
Looking at the weather this week, I'm planning something low and less strenuous. A lake walk at Coniston is favourite at moment. Plenty of time for fells later.
Phooooey

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:57 pm

It was a fabulous day in the Lakes yesterday, drove over to Keswick and took a few photos :D

Hope you get good weather for your next sortie :lol:
SusieThePensioner

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland