walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No sleep 'til An Socach

No sleep 'til An Socach

by CurlyWurly » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar), Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 28/01/2012

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 39 km

Ascent: 1750m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: No sleep 'til An Socach

Postby Malckyb » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Stunning pictures...fab report,you are a brave man camping out in those conditions too!! :shock: :D
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Klaasloopt » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:16 pm

Hurrah! Good effort. Love this report. Especially you taking in Carn Binnein. You couldn't let that sympathetic fella go.

I was in this region last March (my picture here is on Beinn Iutharn Mor), so recognised all of it. I got my ticket to Scotland booked for March 14 8)
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby mattmunro » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:07 am

Loved reading that, thanks! It's great to have no pre-planned agenda for the day, just to get up there and play it by ear...

I like the idea of an assault on the Cairnwell hills from the West to avoid the ugliness, will do that myself I think

Cheers
mattmunro
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:47
Fionas:67   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:297
Wainwrights:133   Islands:3

Postby mattmunro » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:11 am

and good on you for nailing the 5, I'd have had to do the same!
mattmunro
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:47
Fionas:67   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:297
Wainwrights:133   Islands:3

Postby CurlyWurly » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:15 pm

mattmunro wrote:I like the idea of an assault on the Cairnwell hills from the West to avoid the ugliness, will do that myself I think

Cheers for all the comments, much appreciated. I fully condone an assault from the west even if it is just to take in the awesome Munro Top, Carn Bhinnein. I contemplated approaching the Cairnwell hills via Ben Gulabin then heading up onto the plateau via Coire Shith or via Creagan Bheithe and Carn Mor. Then nailing the three Cairnwell peaks and dropping over Carn Chrionaidh to the plantation where I started my walk. That way you stay high and avoid all the ski-tows. Unfortunately, you would need two cars for this so I dismissed it but it would make for an epic route.
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland