walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Beag

Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby Frogwell » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:47 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 01/02/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After knackering my knee on Ben Starav and Meall na Fearna it was fate I suppose that we should be given a few days of perfect winter walking weather. The knee required some rest and gentle use in order to get better which meant hill walking was out. Fortunately I'm an idiot by nature, so I picked a short, relatively straightforward hill, popped a few preemptive Ibuprofen, pointed the car towards Glencoe and set about conquering Buachaille Etive Beag.

There aren't many days where being an idiot proves to be of any great benefit. This however, was one of them. Stob Coire Raineach and Stob Dubh are my first Glencoe Munros and there wasn't a minutes worth of disappointment in the whole day. Well, maybe trying to eat a frozen Mars Bar on the top of Stob Coire Raineach was, maybe not disappointing as such, but a little vexing perhaps. I only saw one other couple the whole day, and they only seemed to be doing Stob Coire Raineach.

A bit disappointed with the pictures though to be honest. I keep meaning to use the circular polariser more cautiously, but it's sort of like an addiction when seeing the rich blue skies through the viewfinder while turning the filter - just want more. The downside being that the sky often looks unnaturally dark in places, so for that I apologise.

Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:04 am

Hi Frogwell,
"A bit disappointed with the pictures though to be honest"
i wish :lol: super pic's once again and your knee held up thats good and the frozen mars bar is good one p.s you should try the frozen banana :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby davetherave » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:21 am

Frogwell wrote:A bit disappointed with the pictures though to be honest.

They look well fine to me Frogwell. :D
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:26 am

The pics are fantastic mate. Personally when I over do the polariser I think it can make seriously good mono shots.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Redrock » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:28 pm

I enjoyed your report - and the pictures capture it well - no problem (I quite like the dark blue skies!). These were my first Glencoe Munros too - on a similar winter's day - so it brought it all back for me! :D I hope the knee is holding up! Cheers. 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby blueyed » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:34 pm

as always, cracking photties frogwell ;)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland