walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn na Caim

Carn na Caim

Postby Team Chisholm » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Route description: Càrn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 05/02/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 612m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Team Chisholm alive and kicking and back in action for 2012Image

Pack lunch boxes filled and flask of soup ready we headed of on a very frosty a9 bound for dalwhinnie and some un finished business and our very last Munro left in this area having done earlier on this year a' Bhuidheanach Bheag on avert wet and windy day which saw us opt not to carry on to the second peak.

We arrived at entry point off a9 and got kitted up whilst we watched large groups heading either over horizon and set young Cameron the challenge of catching these groups before the summit in return for xbox game. Once kitted up we released bobby from his cage and started up the icy track winding up to top of ridge , good snow cover once higher up and grouse flapping around. Made the ridge junction in an hour and visibility not great on ridge so checked sat map and then followed fence poles and faint land rover track (hidden by snow) along the ridge towards summit of Carn na Caim. Met another group who had come straight up face but whilst looked quickest route they begun ahead of us and reached this point behind us (not that we are competitive) made a note that this would be a good way back down.Image

Visibility got even less and again we used sat map to hone in on summit cairn and we walked the last twenty minutes to a small hidden cairn , stopping for routine picture and fitted camerons googles as snow had begun to fall. Cold and whilst not too windy the minute we stopped by god the chill got us moving quickly. Image

Plodded back down through the snow and arrived back at the cut off point still in poor visibility but decided straight down would be best way and ended up being the right choice. First though we stopped and had a lunch break wolfing down pretty quickly our box of delights and bobby sat barking at the lack of activity.Image

Started off heading directly for a9 and all of a sudden sun came through as we walked over the shoulder and we strolled down the shoulder back down to grouse butts through the wind slab snow , dodging hares and grouse. Bobby making a good effort at the hares , paw showing no signs of issues.

Arrived back at car and looked back up at perfect blue sky and all agreed that 2012 was off to a positive start.Image
Team Chisholm
Stravaiging

Munros:50   

Re: Carn na Caim

Postby BoyVertiginous » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Haha...nice one, Team Chisholm.

I was in the group that went up the face and your haste was noted. :lol:

I was in the midst of my own report when I saw this, there was good reason for our tardiness and all shall be revealed therein. Your flat-out sprint from the fence junction to the summit was a bit unnecessary though :wink:

Incidentally, after departing the Carn na Caim summit, on route to ABB, I noticed a v.small blood spot in your dog's paw prints, hope he's okay.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Re: Carn na Caim

Postby Team Chisholm » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:31 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:Haha...nice one, Team Chisholm.

I was in the group that went up the face and your haste was noted. :lol:

I was in the midst of my own report when I saw this, there was good reason for our tardiness and all shall be revealed therein. Your flat-out sprint from the fence junction to the summit was a bit unnecessary though :wink:

Incidentally, after departing the Carn na Caim summit, on route to ABB, I noticed a v.small blood spot in your dog's paw prints, hope he's okay.

Boy vertiginous

I hope you enjoyed he outing as much as we did and thanks for concern on dog, he had a major pad slice on glass 2 weeks ago and whilst wee spots of blood he is fine once more and back doing what he likes best "running all day long".

Great mixture of weather we both saw and and our dash to the top was aout testing sat map system to ensure we used correctly , good news is it was spot on , will read your report once posted
Team Chisholm
Stravaiging

Munros:50   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland