walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Grey Corries - lovely in white

Grey Corries - lovely in white

Postby fipriestley » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:17 am

Munros included on this walk: Stob Bàn (Grey Corries)

Date walked: 05/02/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 2 from Tulloch, this one promised to be drier and brighter and didn't disappoint :D

Through Spean Bridge, past the 'no parking' sign then 'residents only' car park and through the first gate of the forest road, we parked where the road widened at a junction [tip for others heading out there: you could carry on for a bit further as there's also parking space nearer the second (locked) gate in this road]. Quite a long walk in sparking memories of Beinn Bhuidhe from last week's outing :o

Still quite near the start it looked as though someone was waiting ahead... but it was only The Wee Minister keeping a watchful eye :lol:
IMAG0673.jpg
The Wee Minister - loose change gratefully received

The path in was pretty slushy all the way to the bothy - first one I've been in! Bunks, fireplace, coal, few utensils, even a washing line and pegs.. this is a well maintained bothy, where we stopped for a bite to eat both on the way out and back.
IMAG0684.jpg
to the bothy and beyond - Stob Ban starts to clear

The climb was straight forward as the sky cleared more and the full hill was in clear view the whole way. Higher up the snow was very soft and blew around a little at one point, but the gradient meant this was a good walk and there was no repeat of the uncontrolled slides I'd had the previous day :lol: Lovely views at the top and lots of fun sliding down again in the snow - a great day out! :D :D

IMAG0688.jpg
climb starts in snow-dusted heather
IMAG0690.jpg
nearing top of the heather, summit in sight
IMAG0692.jpg
avoid the cornice

The only slightly precarious bit, on the way back we walked along the top of this part of the hill.. and that black cloud ahead soon disappeared
IMAG0694.jpg

IMAG0695.jpg
getting closer

The summit pics - think I just stood and clicked in every direction :lol:
SDC12530.JPG
SDC12532.JPG
SDC12533.JPG
SDC12534.JPG
SDC12535.JPG
SDC12536.JPG
SDC12537.JPG

Then the slides back down wheeeee :D :lol: :D
IMAG0708.jpg
squint and you can just about see the slides :)
IMAG0709.jpg
more slides :)

Feeling all warm and fuzzy knowing I've just been up there :) Also loving the patterns in the ice over the stream as it melts underneath (not so clear in this pic)
IMAG0710.jpg
Stob Ban
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Grey Corries - lovely in white

Postby quoman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:53 am

Hi fi
What happened to you in the first picture have you been using to much fake tan :lol: :lol: :lol:

some cracking picture's there and you like your bumslides down the way :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby paul2610 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:11 am

have planned to do this bunch in a few days and the thought of a slide really adds stars to it for me - just have to remember the thicker undies!

Just to check, where's the statue - I'll be starting at night and don't want any sudden heart shattering shocks to start the day off with, plus how thick is the snow on top now. A week ago the snow was fairly thin on top over above loch laggon but your photos show a different story.

cheers for posting.
paul2610
Hill Bagger

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Beautiful photos Fi!

What a treat from the previous day- you deserve it! :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Alan S » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:29 pm

Good report and pics 8) love the pic of the 2 walkers with the summit in view 8)
Really fancy stob ban,thanks for posting
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby fipriestley » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:35 am

quoman wrote:Hi fi
What happened to you in the first picture have you been using to much fake tan :lol: :lol: :lol:

some cracking picture's there and you like your bumslides down the way :lol:

Thanks quoman.. this is why I get to tap my head for luck, 'touch wood' :lol: :lol: Slides are great! I'll miss them in the summer, won't be so fun in the mud!

paul2610 wrote:have planned to do this bunch in a few days and the thought of a slide really adds stars to it for me - just have to remember the thicker undies!

Just to check, where's the statue - I'll be starting at night and don't want any sudden heart shattering shocks to start the day off with, plus how thick is the snow on top now. A week ago the snow was fairly thin on top over above loch laggon but your photos show a different story.

cheers for posting.

Underthermals help with the slides Paul :lol: Statue is on a bend about 15-20mins walk in - the path zig-zags a bit here so as you're walking up the figure appears to be looking straight at you!
IMAG0671a.jpg

Snow is pretty thin on the summit but just down from there it was not quite knee-high in places but very soft. Couple of times on the way down where I just ran/jumped through this as it wasn't slippy enough to sit and slide on. Can change a lot even in a few days though! Enjoy :)

pollyh33 wrote:Beautiful photos Fi!

What a treat from the previous day- you deserve it! :D

Thanks Polly - definitely a weekend of 2 halves! :lol:

alan s wrote:Good report and pics 8) love the pic of the 2 walkers with the summit in view 8)
Really fancy stob ban,thanks for posting

Thanks Alan. Go for it! :)
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland