walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bow Fell

Bow Fell

Postby johnrich » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:33 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bowfell, Esk Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Bowfell, Esk Pike

Date walked: 28/12/2006

Time taken: 5

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 902m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day started off clear but as normal the mist came down just as we turned onto the climbers traverse, we climbed up onto the Great Slab and made it to a very bleak summit. We took the route down via Esk Pike and Angle Tarn finishing in the Old Dungeon Gill for a much needed Guinness.
Attachments
PC280016.JPG
Climbers Traverse

Bow fell and Esk pike from Dungeon Gill.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

PC280022.JPG
Bow Fell summit
Last edited by johnrich on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnrich
Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:29
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:69   

Re: Bow Fell

Postby mountain coward » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:47 am

The climbers' traverse is a great route isn't it? I've never done it in snow though - too chicken! Hope you didn't really go up the actual Great Slab itself - the route is up the bouldery gully to it's right hand side!
mountain coward

Postby johnrich » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:00 am

your right we turned left off the traverse just as you reach a spring and up the boulder gully, to be honest i was under the impression we were going to take the less challanging route by the tarns until one of the team suggested this route and for myself not being very experienced it did get the adrenaline running!!
johnrich
Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:29
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:69   

Postby mountain coward » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:47 am

I can imagine it did in the snow! It's nice on a nice day though...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland