walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

One pain in the foot!

One pain in the foot!

Postby luckyguy68 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:09 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 07/02/2012

Time taken: 3.45 hours

Distance: 9.1 km

Ascent: 720m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was going to keep this walk private but the ending was to good to keep all to myself 8) :oops: :oops:
Having taken advice from some more experienced WH members i have decided for the most part to concentrate on the lower hills until my winter skills are up to the mark. I chose Ben Vrackie as it was fairly close to home and the route seemed fairly straigh forward.
2012-02-07 13.23.43.jpg
At least im heading in the right direction

My map reading skills are still a work in progress though i realise relying on the above signs is not entirely the best way forward :lol: . My day got off to a bad start as my one of my newly bought glove liners was amiss from my backpack. Not to worry as i had my equally new gloves that i bought with my walk report for December's runner up (thankyou webtogs!). Anyway, as i was booting up a car pulled up with a guy whom i soon found out had been up there several times. As they say, never look a gift horse in the eye. :lol: I quick as a flash jumped in his rucksack and offered him my company on the way up. I was blessed in so many way as this recently retired gentleman had over 200 munros under his belt and was a rich source of info. Nuff said.
2012-02-07 13.21.11.jpg
Ben Vrackie , or so i thought

My knowledge of the local area was put to the test as i was asked if i could identify Ben Vrackie. For some reason i picked the only hill i could see that was not covered in clagg. Boy was i embarassed when ben Vrackie came in to view :oops:
2012-02-07 11.21.12.jpg
This looks more like it!

2012-02-07 13.05.12.jpg

We made good progress to the summit partly due to me asking countless question and forgetting i was actually meant to be climbing a hill. Thanfully my companion was only to happy to impart his knowledge upon me. True to Lucky's form the view from the summit was non existent. The backdrop of my pose probably sums it up! :lol:
2012-02-07 12.00.16.jpg
A hill with no views

My fellow walker adorned his recently bought microspikes and skipped down the hill leaving me to negotiate the ice with caution. I shouted to him to head off and thanked him for his company. The truth was my left foot had been killing me on the way up. I took me shoe of and adjusted my socks but still the pain continued. nevermind, not going to let sore tootsies hold me back. I was only down about 15 minutes of the descent when the sky's opened revealing Vrackie in all it's glory. I contemplated going back up just for the views but time was getting on. I managed to get a few clearer snaps on the way down.
2012-02-07 12.22.47.jpg

2012-02-07 12.23.01.jpg

An interesting walk was had though i must admit it was kinda ruined as i was down to almost a hobble by the time i reached the car. A quick gloat at the goods on display at Tiso (Perth)was had on the way back. Picked up a pair of microspikes which incidently are reduced to the bargain price of £36. 8)
ANYWAY, ONTO THE PUNCHLINE BOOM BOOM :oops: :lol: Once home I with religious fervour clean the boots and leave them out to dry. As i put my hand in the boot to clean it would you believe what was stuffed at the front????, Yip, you've guessed it, one glove liner. Kid you not, when i took it out my toe marks were still indented on the glove. Glad webtogs don''t have a booby pize of the month. :lol: :lol:
Lucky
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Re: One pain in the foot!

Postby quoman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Did you no even notice when you took your boot of at the top :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby luckyguy68 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:43 pm

I will be first to get in with the grammatical error thatyou cant look a gift horse in the eye cos it should be mouth, D'Oh! :oops:
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Postby luckyguy68 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:45 pm

quoman wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Did you no even notice when you took your boot of at the top :lol:

That would have been just to obvious checking the toe box first. As they say you learn something new each time your out.
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Postby mrssanta » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:25 pm

luckyguy68 wrote:: I quick as a flash jumped in his rucksack
Lucky

I love that expression!! what a picture.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Redrock » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:30 am

Glad you found the glove liner, luckyguy! And your toes will be so relieved you found it too! :lol: It looks like you had a good walk though despite the glove in the boot. :D You got much the same view that I had when I was up Ben Vrackie and it cleared for us too as we had descended a bit from the summit. The cloud seems to come and go a lot in your pics! Enjoy the micro-spikes - what kind did you get?
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:27 am

I enjoyed that report Lucky. It doesn't matter how bad things get, you allways enjoy the day once you're back in the comfort of your home :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby brpro26 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:39 am

Nice one...comfy boots, they fit just like a glove. :lol:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland