walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee, lots of snow but no skis!?!

Glenshee, lots of snow but no skis!?!

Postby mband » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Glas Maol

Date walked: 05/02/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 19.1 km

Ascent: 704m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had often watched with a smug look on my face at walkers trudging up the side of the piests as the tows pulled me effortlessly to the top of Meal Odhar thinking I would never swap skis for crampons. But.... this Sunday was my first winter walk, I must definately have the bagging bug to have left my skis at home :lol:

The walk was the February walk for Perth and District Hillwalking Club and as usual we set off from Perth at 7 am. I had put my name down for the shorter walk from Glenshee over Carn an Turic and down to Auchallater but on a spur of the moment decision I decided to walk with the big boys and join the "challenging" group hoping to add 3 munros to my tally. My main concern was my fitness level and also that whilst I had crampons and an ice axe I had never actually used them before. But the bus dropped us off at the ski centre car park at 8.30 which was gradually filling up with skiers. Before I knew it the bus had left with those doing the shorter walk and I was comitted.

Glas_Maol.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We set off heading for Meal Odhar and I realised that there was quite a lot of fresh snow that was going to make the going tougher. At the top of Meal Odhar I put on my microspikes, although there wasn't a lot of ice I felt that they would give me a little more grip. A few seconds and they were on, I wasn't sure how I would manage to put on my crampons if needed with out a sofa to sit on! It was then up the side of Glas Maol, despite being at the back of the group I felt I wasn't holding them up too much. A quick photo stop at the cairn and then down towards Cairn of Claise stopping when we got out of the wind for a welcome cup of hot chocolate and a pork pie.

007.JPG
Top of Glas Maol

This side of Glas Maol there seemed to be a lot more fresh snow, knee deep in places and I started to feel the going tougher as we headed up Cairn of Claise. It was at that point that I really felt I had made a mistake about going for the 3 in one go on my first winter walk. I found that half hour really tough and worried the whole way up Cairn of Claise about how I was going to manage a third hill. I was scarred that I would hold people up as the wind on the tops was biting and I didn't wnat anyone to get cold waiting for me. Luckly the was a couple of guys going at my pace and I didn't fall too far behind. I saw the group ahead waiting at a cairn but the cloud was down over the tops and I was sure that when I reached them that they would say that the top was "just a bit further". But, no to my genuine and pleasant surprise my 22nd munro was in the bag and we headed down towards Carn an Tuirc. My mood lifted as I realsied I had got to the top of the 2nd munro and the map looked as though the last wouldn't be so steep. I was right and I reached Carn an Tuirc for my third sumit of they day and all before lunch :D.

010.JPG
Carn an Tuirc

We then headed down towards Lochcallater Lodge, agian I was at the back but a good chat on the way down kept the legs going. We stopped for lucnch half way down and a hare came lopping down the track towards us only turning off after getting quite close, I always love seeing them, they are always bigger than I expect. From Lochcallater I knew we had a long but easy walk out to the road.

013.JPG
Glen Callater

We had had a great day with a little cloud on the tops but clear views of the sun on the lower hills.

011.JPG

A lovely day for my first winter walk and, apart from a negative half hour doubting my abilites, one I really enjoyed. It was good to see the bus and get back to the Spital Hotel for a cup of tea. :D
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Re: Glenshee, lots of snow but no skis!?!

Postby mband » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks to the Perth Hillwalking Club for a great walk.....looking forward to the Loch Lochy weekend :D
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Postby quoman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:02 pm

excellent report
Yeh the first 30 mins are always the hardest then you get your second wind and away you go :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby basscadet » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:25 pm

:o
You went to the Spital and only had tea?.. shocking!

Well done though, must of been a hard walk.. and passed Callater - a place very dear to my heart. Thanks for putting this up :thumbup:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland