walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dubhchraig & Ben Oss

Beinn Dubhchraig & Ben Oss

Postby xpfloyd » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Oss

Date walked: 12/02/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Dubhchraig & Ben Oss were the chosen hills for today. After picking up Gman27 we headed down to Dalrigh and were parked up in the small car park and on our way by 8am. Initially the walk takes you along a landrover track which is pretty easy going. Although there was some higher cloud we were already getting good views of the surrounding summits. I was already kicking myself for not bringing the big camera. Camera phone would have to suffice.
2012-02-12 08.04.43.jpg
Landrover track

Upon reaching this small cairn we took a right and went through a majorly boggy field. We didnt realise until the way back down that we could probably have kept going along the lanfdrover track and crossed the burn further up.
2012-02-12 08.08.46.jpg
Cairn showing turning point in route

Once across the bog the most rickety bridge ive ever walked across is reached. Real Indiana Jones Stuff :)
2012-02-12 08.12.44.jpg
Bridge

Once across the bridge the route is well defined through a lovely old forrest although the path was very boggy in places and the tree routes are really slippy. After following the path up the route of the burn Beinn Dubhchraig comes properly into view.
2012-02-12 08.52.13.jpg
Beinn Dubhchraig

2012-02-12 08.40.43.jpg
View back the way

As you continue on up towards the baleach a ridge is reached and it is at this point a left is taken upwards towards Beinn Dubhchraig. No major issues with this section and fairly straight forward. Unfortunately though the weather came in a bit and our summit views were limited.
2012-02-12 10.09.59.jpg
Gregor on Beinn Dubhchraig

2012-02-12 10.10.26.jpg
Me on Beinn Dubhchraig

2012-02-12 10.17.48.jpg
Looking West

2012-02-12 10.18.15.jpg
Fleeting view of Oss from Beinn Dubhchraig summit

After a bite to eat we headed off towards Ben Oss. The closer we got the more horrible it looked. The baleach seemed really far down and some of the descent into it was fairly steep. After making our way down we started making our way up again and over the top only to discover we had to descend into another baleach and up the other side. At least we had footprints to keep us on course :)
2012-02-12 11.20.28.jpg
Footprints to Oss

This whole section was a major slog, and to make it worse the route back went the same way so we would have to do it all over again! I understand now why people link these two with Ben Lui & Beinn a'Chleibh to avoid having to do this. Anyways, with the last bit of energy in my legs we made it to the top of Ben Oss.
2012-02-12 11.36.30.jpg
gman27

2012-02-12 11.37.10.jpg
Me

After another bite to eat we started the long trek back, up onto Beinn Dubhchraig and back down towards the forrest taking every opportunity to slide down the snow slopes on our backsides. At least this was taking my mind of all my aches and pains, hopefully the muscles arent too sore in the morning!
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Re: Beinn Dubhchraig & Ben Oss

Postby monty » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:35 pm

A good effort guys. Yep you may as well have done the four :D Looks like there is a fair ammount of snow up there. :D
monty

Postby xpfloyd » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Thanks Monty. We done the other two yesterday but decided before we went that there probably wouldnt have been enough daylight just now for the 4 so decided to split it. Might have been a better option to leave all 4 to the longer days. Yeah there was a fair covering of snow on both hills, quite thick in places too.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby smiffysmc » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:31 pm

Another great report. Can you guys not stay still!!!! I'm sure I walked Beinn Dubhchraig at college many years ago. But need to do it again as can't be 100% sure. Good to see the flag in full glory instead of wrapped round you or getting ripped from your hands.

Cheers.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby xpfloyd » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 pm

smiffysmc wrote:Another great report. Can you guys not stay still!!!! I'm sure I walked Beinn Dubhchraig at college many years ago. But need to do it again as can't be 100% sure. Good to see the flag in full glory instead of wrapped round you or getting ripped from your hands.

Cheers.

Cheers, its addictive this hill walking malarky. I know mate it was a nice change this weekend with the wind after the previous few weekends :)
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland