walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lonely Lammermuirs

Lonely Lammermuirs

Postby Tinto63 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:40 am

Route description: Meikle Says Law

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Says Law

Date walked: 11/02/2012

Time taken: 3.4 hours

Distance: 10.6 km

Ascent: 150m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A last minute change of plan meant that I had to drop J in Edinburgh on Granny duties at 0930, where could I go for a short walk and still pick her up in the afternoon? The Pentlands are the obvious and nearest but are always teeming with walkers, dogs, runners and cyclists, the Moorfoots are an option, but have never been my favourites (too many peat hags and a wind farm) so it was the Lammermuirs for the day, which I haven't walked for 10 years or more. And I could add Meikle Says Law to the sub 2000 list.

Parked on the minor road from Gifford to Longformacus at NT 613636, crossed road and through gate and down to Faseny Cottage where there is a junction with 3 tracks joining, took the right hand one going WNW to start. This goes in a arc around Dun Side and curves round to approach the top of Meikle Says Law from the west. In the first couple of kms this crosses and recrosses the Faseny Water by 4 or 5 fords, but managed to cross without problems or wet feet. This was unexpected as I was wearing a reserve pair of fabric boots which lost any pretence of waterproofing long ago, my trusty leather Raichles having parted sole from upper.

From the trig point went SE over heather and peat to Little Says Law and then eventually picking up a track going NE towards Faseny Cottage.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

These hills are grouse moors and there were hundreds about with almost continuous chuckling, if there is a good spring and successful breeding the guns will be very busy on the (in)Glorious Twelfth.

This walk won't appeal to all, but for a short winter walk makes a change from the Pentlands as I didn't see another walker.

IMG_3485.JPG
one of several fords

IMG_3491.JPG
track up to Meikle Says Law

IMG_3492.JPG
trig point Meikle Says Law at (just) 535m

IMG_3497.JPG
plate on trig point

IMG_3500.JPG
gentle rolling hills

IMG_3504.JPG
working hills with lots of traps

IMG_3507.JPG
glad I remembered my lunch, this doesn't look very appetising or hygienic

IMG_3506.JPG
Faseny Cottage

IMG_3474.JPG
another boot bites the dust!
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Re: Lonely Lammermuirs

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:56 am

Nice wee report Tinto.

Love the photos but maybe not the one with the trap :(

Were you not a wee bit tempted to push something into it ? :lol:
( I mean a stick, not a living creature!)

Bad news about your boots :( :(
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Tinto63 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks Polly, no I wasn't tempted to spring the traps, there were too many of them anyway, all empty. While I wouldn't want to shoot or hunt, and have never worked on the land, like many people I come from a long line of shepherds / farm workers and know the importance of making a living from the countryside. We are lucky in Scotland to have free access to privately owned hills but should respect a landowner's right, within the law, to make a living. Having said that, I am troubled by the proliferation of hill furniture, especially wind farms and newly bulldozed tracks, particularly when it destroys the visual integrity of the hills. Of course, people said exactly the same about the spread of railways in the 19th century.

Keep on enjoying the hills.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:24 pm

This hill is better approached from the north from East Hopes - just a short pathless section and a jump-able burn :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland