walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

"On Ugborough Moor bar Tat".....

"On Ugborough Moor bar Tat".....

Postby garyhortop » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Date walked: 11/02/2012

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 393m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Yes I Know...doesn't quite have the same ring as Ilkley Moor I know!!

Now here's the thing....not been walking for a while as I managed to injure my ankle so needed a walk that would get me out and hopefully not be too trying on the ankle and I also needed to be back to watch the 6 nations rugby (as I am a bit of a rugby fan) and see if England could be gifted the result again...which they were! Then to cap it all Beano is nagging me for a walk!
1 Walk Me! .JPG

I had however, spent some time whilst crocked looking at possible routes and decided to walk a bit of the moor I hadn't walked before which would appear to be about the southern most part and clearly visible from the A38 between Exeter and Plymouth - an area I had promised myself to have a look and see what was there. So off I went and found a spot to park on a residential estate just below Stowford Bridge where it crosses the main railway line. GR 642565

The route crosses the railway bridge up a lane and then on your right you will see a turn off by a farm and a clear way mark for the Two Moors Way - which this route follows on and off most of the way. The farm track climbs steadily until you reach a gate and enter the moor proper.
2 Gate above Stowfrod Bridge.JPG
Gate above Stowford Bridge

You also get your first view of the Western Beacon - the first port of call. At the gate leave the Two Moors Way and follow the direct route to the summit of the beacon.

3 Western Beacon from Gate.JPG
Western Beacon from gate

There also seemed to be alot of natives around on this apporach - not sure if the weather had brought them lower down the moor but decided to put the Bogtrotting Beano back on the lead!

4 Natives on the approach to Western Beacon .JPG
Natives on the approach to Western Beacon

You soon reach the Summit of the Beacon and the vista of the walk open's around you and you can see the route that you are going to take. On a positive note I think this would be quite a straight forward walk even in poor viz as there are plently of markers on the route that will help you find your way..as you will see in a bit!

5 Summit Cairns on Western Beacon.JPG
Summit Cairns on Western Beacon

To the North you can see your next port of call - Butterdon Hill.

6 Butterdon Hill from Western Beacon.JPG
Butterdon Hill from Western Beacon

From the Beacon you head north towards Butterdon Hill passing standing stones en route and heading towards Black Pool.

7 Standing Stone above Black Pool.JPG
Standing Stone on Western beacon - Ugborough Beacon behind

Looking back towards the Beacon you could across the whole of the South Hams. The picture doesn't really do it justice but you could just make out the sun refelcting off the sea to the south.....I think I need a new camera...

8 Sun trying hard to break through over the South Hams.JPG
Sun trying to get through over the South Hams

The Pool was Frozen and you had to pick your way around the more boggy bits, as it was cold-ish but not the sort of cold and snow I have seen people posting about elsewhere in the country (more is the pity) and I think we have got off really lightly down in the SW!
9 Black Pool and Butterdon Hill.JPG
Black Pool and Butterdon Hill

You climb nice and easy up to the summit of Butterdon HIll and there is a trig point on the top!

10 Trig Point and Beano on Butterdon Hill.JPG
Butterdon trig and the Beano!

Again from the summit you can see your obvious route on North and get your first view of Ugborough Moor. Just to the west is Piles Hill and Sharp Tor and the Erme Valley. Descending the northern side of Butterdon Hill you head down and join the Two Moors Way again and follow the very obvious track.
11 Looking NW from Butterdon over the Erme Valley.JPG
NW from Butterdon
12 N to Ugborough Moor Summit form Butterdon.JPG
N to Ugborough Moor Summit from Butterdon Hill

From Butterdon Hill you can also see the obvious landmark of Hangingshell Rock - a small and obvious tor just off to the west of the track.
13 Hangershell Rock with Sharp Tor & Ugborough Summit.JPG
Hangershell Rock with Sharp Tor and Ugborough Moor

One of the things you notice about this route as well is that it is riddled with small standing stones and stone rows - which I think are some form of ancient boundary stones - but there are plently on the route ranging from only a foot or so high to the larger menhirs (although Obelix was nowhere to be found!)
14 Stone Row en route to SHrp Tor.JPG
Stone Rows

You also pass Piles Hill which as you approach has a clearly visible larger menhir that looks as If it is about to fall over. A slight detour off the track takes you up to it!
15 Incumbent Standing Stone on Piles Hill - Western Beacon in Background.JPG
Incumbent Standing Stone on Piles Hill - Western Beacon in Background

Returning to the path you approach Sharp Tor and more stone rows. Again well worth a detour off the path as this Tor overlooks the Erme Valley and gives a good view point and stop off if you fancy a quick drink or snack with a nice view!
16 More Stone rows.JPG
More Stone rows
17 Erme Valley from Sharp Tor.JPG
Erme Valley from Sharp tor
18 Sharp Tor Summit Cairn.JPG
Sharp Tor Summit

You then pick up the Two Moors Way path again and Ugborough Moor is the obvious summit in front of you with a fairly clear path up towards the summit. from the Summit you get some good views across the moor to the north - which all looks pretty desolate and remote to me...and an area I will come back to explore when my ankle is properly recovered. I stopped on the summit for a short while for a coffee break and to give the mutts a snack and also met my only walking companions of the day who appeared from the East on the summit. They had come up from Didworthy on a short up and down to the top.
19 Summit of Ugborough Moor looking S towards Ugborough Beacon (L) and Western Beacon (R).JPG
Ugborough Moor Looking S Towards Ugboroigh Beacon(L) & Western Beacon (R)
20 Trig Point on Summit of Ugborough Moor.JPG
Trig on Summit of Ugborough Moor
21 N across Ugborough Moor.JPG
N Across Ugborough Moor

As time was getting on and I wanted to get back for the game I decided to turn around here and head back. The weather was still doing some interesting things with some really good colours coming through as the sun tried to break through....but as I discovered...I really think it is time to get a new camera as for some reason (maybe the cold?) it simply did not want to work and knew the batteries were OK as I had changed them before I came out, so sadly didn't get any pictures of this. The return route was pretty straightforward as you simply follow the obvious track of the Two Moors Way all the way back to the Railway bridge at the start of the walk.

As an area I have not been to before I have to say that this was quite a nice(if easy) walk but with a bit more time and perhaps a longer day I think you could reach some quite remote spots on the moor here and the area just to the north of Ugborough looks like it has plenty of old mine workings/buildings/history to explore!!
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Re: "On Ugborough Moor bar Tat".....

Postby willywalker247 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Great report Gary. Your discription of the route is great even i could follow it! Is that the hound of the baskerville i saw in the photos :lol:
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Lovely wander Gary, right up my street :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:30 pm

willywalker247 wrote:Great report Gary. Your discription of the route is great even i could follow it! Is that the hound of the baskerville i saw in the photos :lol:

Have to Say WW.....that given your navigation skills I wouldn't put money on it! :lol: ....funny you should mention the Hound.....at Hound Tor there is now a roadside burger type van...called "The Hound of the Basket Meals..." No hope for some people! :D
ChrisW wrote:Lovely wander Gary, right up my street :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:31 pm

ChrisW wrote:Lovely wander Gary, right up my street :D

Thanks Chris....now the ankle seems a bit better will try a few more trips and the Higher North Moor...will kepp uyou posted! :)
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby ciderpeter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:53 pm

lol I think that is the angriest dog I have ever seen. :)
ciderpeter
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby malky_c » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:40 pm

Interesting to see some more scenery from down this way :)

It's still a long way from me, but I'm thinking I might pay a Hewitt bagging visit to Dartmoor at some point this year. Mind you, just a quick visit to High Willhays might not do justice to the area - might try and make a weekend of it at least.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby garyhortop » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:05 pm

ciderpeter wrote:lol I think that is the angriest dog I have ever seen. :)

Mmmm....could say something really naughty here about a comparison my better half....but I know she sometimes reads my posts!! :?
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:08 pm

malky_c wrote:Interesting to see some more scenery from down this way :)

It's still a long way from me, but I'm thinking I might pay a Hewitt bagging visit to Dartmoor at some point this year. Mind you, just a quick visit to High Willhays might not do justice to the area - might try and make a weekend of it at least.

Hi Malky...If you decide to visit (just make sure you avoid the 10 Tors weekend!) and fancy some company let me know and I'd be happy to meet up and try and find some of the more interesting "bits" for you! In any event keep an eye open as I am still trying to find my way around and will post up what I find!
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland