walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Steve McGarrett + 2 & me in Glen Shee !

Steve McGarrett + 2 & me in Glen Shee !

Postby steven65 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:48 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 12/02/2012

Time taken: 5.45 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 595m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The clue perhaps is in the title ? 70`s – 80`s tv cop show voyeurs should have got it ! This wee jaunt although deemed perhaps to include “lesser” hills , was to include my 50th Munro – & as such was going to be a memorable day out for me , something I would never have dreamed of doing less than 2 years ago. Despite the weather report being slightly pants :( I decided to head off up to Glen Shee anyway . I`m glad I did on arriving the sun was shinning strongly with clear blue skies , I parked up got ready & was off with Oskar trotting alongside me. I took the route as described here on WH - it was a much easier day out than last week up at Mayar & Driesh. I had a wee 5 min coffee on top of Carn Aosda , chatting to 2 guys who`d came up the Eastern side of the hill – more directly from the road , i`d came up between the 2 ski tows which weren`t being used due to less snow on those 2 runs.
Carn Aosda no 50
over to The Cairnwell & Carn nan Sac in the sun
Exiting Carn Asoda
They left just before me & went round Loch Vrotachan on the far western side avoiding the Carn nan Sac route to Carn a Gheoidh. I made for the bealach towards The Cairnwell & proceeded along the ridge to Carn nan Sac avoiding the snowy edge leading to Creag a Choire Dhirich.
Oskar in the sun with frozen Loch Vrotachan behind
Carn A Gheoidh looming in the background
A wee foto of Oskar at Carn nan Sac – now in a wee bit of mist , before continuing on the plateau up to Gheoidh.
The final pull then appeared -out of the mist just as it cleared nicely for the last 300 M or so. I was joined on this section by a young couple – no names sorry – forgot ! from Dunfermline , we topped out together then shared our piece before we made our way back down to the Cairnwell .
Carn A Gheoidh top in a wee bit of clag now
I think they went onto Carn Aosda as they`d came up the Cairnwell 1st .The Cairnwell was obviously different to other munro tops i`ve been on , im not going to slag it – im sure the technical equipment is there for a very good reason ?
The bealach before ascending Cairnwell looking down to Glen Shee
Creag a Choire Dhirich from Cairnwell
Looking down the car park was now full , as i`d arrived early I was in the 2nd row of cars , I continued down off the hill following the ski fence boundary in sometimes very deep snow towards the buildings , arriving at the bottom 10 mins short of a 6 hour walk. The sun had receded it was now a bit overcast , but on the run home it brightened up very much heading south.
This was my 1st day out trying my new Viewranger App on my i-phone which worked well despite operator malfunction & a battery not fully charged - which ran out after just under 3 hours. I still had a map & compass with me despite this being an “easy” walk , but I can see the value now that a GPS type tool gives you .
For me & Oskar ( & Steve McGarrett ) a great day out , heres to the next 50 !
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Steve McGarrett + 2 & me in Glen Shee !

Postby quoman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:33 pm

excellent report steven and quaility photo's

sunday was a cracking day i was just down the road a wee bit from you on Glas Tulaichean
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Redrock » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:14 pm

Well done on the fifty + 2! :D Enjoyed seeing these hills again - with snow on them! Cheers! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:58 pm

Smashing report Steven :thumbup:

You got much better weather than I got up there, couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of me :( :(

Great photos but favourite is the one of Oskar and the walking pole :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby starrynights » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:22 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Smashing report Steven :thumbup:

You got much better weather than I got up there, couldn't see more than 20 feet in front of me :( :(

Great photos but favourite is the one of Oskar and the walking pole :D :D

Have to agree there Polly .... great photo of the intrepid Oskar with matching collar and hat. Looking very dashing :D
I'd have that one framed. Superb stuff Steven. :thumbup:
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Lovely report and pics Steven, Congratulations on passing the 50 mark.....and as no-one else has said it yet....book him Danno :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Graeme D » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:27 am

Well done on the half century. There's no going back now - beyond the point of no return! :lol: These hills have given some tasty reports recently and this is another one to add. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Good to see these hills getting some more good press, winter is the time to do these i think :D i did them in the summer on a clear day but they look much better with snow on them :D Pity they can't get rid of the fence posts and all the other guff required for the ski-ing :?
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby steven65 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:11 pm

ChrisW wrote:Lovely report and pics Steven, Congratulations on passing the 50 mark.....and as no-one else has said it yet....book him Danno :lol:

:D Book him Danno !! well said Chris , that made me smile !

Thanks everyone for your comments , a clear day makes it all seem more "worthwhile" & certainly more enjoyable.

Re Oskars red collar - on driving towards the M90 at Kinross i remebered i`d left his collar & lead in the kitchen :thumbdown: Bummer . Although he`s well behaved i always keep him under control.
I wasn`t turning back so had to think of an alternative lead & collar ,after consideration - i knew there was nothing else suitable in the car. So i swung by Sainsburys at Kinross - it wasn`t opened yet :( , continuing on i came off the motorway & popped into Tesco at Perth & purchased a new bright red lead & collar set , along with 2 pork pies (half price - result) to supplement our 2 cheese rolls . Thank goodness for Tesco`s ongoing aim for world domination :lol:
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby davetherave » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Love Oskar, not so sure about the report tho. :lol: :lol:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland