walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Strathconon Stunner - Carn Faire nan Con

Strathconon Stunner - Carn Faire nan Con

Postby malky_c » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Càrn Faire nan Con

Date walked: 12/02/2012

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 370m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2000's: Carn Faire nan Con
Date walked: 12/02/2012
Time taken: 1 hour 35 minutes
Distance: 5km
Ascent: 370m
Weather: Mild, sunny and calm

Finally my first walk in Scotland of 2012 (apart from walking to the shops that is...)

I had an extended weekend at home (Friday morning to Monday evening), but as I hadn't seen my wife for 3 weeks, a trip down to the Glencoe meet was definitely off the cards! Even a half day away seemed a bit unreasonable, so I turned my attention to some lower hills that I'd been meaning to climb for some time now. I practically circled this hill on my bike back in 2009 (report), and had intended to cycle to it last year. As ever, I didn't get round to it, so it made a perfect couple of hours away from the house for Sunday morning.

I was briefly seduced by Sgurr Marcasaidh across the loch, but remembered my promise to be home for lunch. Anyway, Sgurr Marcasaidh is going to give me a great day out with Creag Loch nan Dearcag at some point, so worth saving.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked at the gate to the Luichart dam. The sign advises that it is possible to drive to the dam during weekdays, but it is only 5 minutes further on, so hardly worth the bother. Walking up the road, it felt like spring was in the air, with the mixture of woodland, rock and heather bursting with colour. Any thoughts I had about being on the higher hills vanished when I got to the dam - there was more than enough stunning scenery here!

The end of the Sgurr Marcasaidh ridge from the Luichart dam road:

Creag na Carachain from the dam road:

Loch Luichart and Carn Faire nan Con:

I followed a break through the trees which led me above the eastern shore of Loch Luichart. The going was easy underfoot apart from a short area of moss-covered boulders. Through a hole in the fence further on, and I climbed up to a higher break which contained some pylons. Rather than follow the pylons, I climbed across the break and up into the birchwood above. I wasn't sure what to expect, but the trees were widely spaced and the ground dry and firm. The going got a little tougher as I left the trees behind, with heather underfoot, but it was still fine. Before long, I was at Loch an Dubh-chairn, with only 100m of ascent left. As I climbed, spectacular views opened up down Loch Luichart. I had some idea what to expect, but was still surprised at how rough and remote it seemed. It felt like a small chunk of west coast sea loch had been plonked beneath me.

Through the fire break to the summit:

Loch Luichart and the Corriemollie hills:

Sgurr Marcasaidh across the loch:

Back to the dam:

Sgurr Marcasaidh occupies the entire western side of Loch Luichart. Drool:

Across the spur of Sgurr Marcasaidh to the Grahams and Corbetts of Strathconon:

The last section was a mixture of heather and walking across flat slabs of rock, and there were good views to the Fannaichs and Beinn Dearg hills. While a lot of hills were obscured (the summit was only 370m high after all), I didn't want to be anywhere else at that moment, so I stopped for a good 10 minutes. The weather was way better than anticipated. Much as I have been enjoying my re-discovery of the Welsh hills, it was great to be home again (I have to admit I'm starting to get a bit confused as to where home actually is these days).

Strath Garve to Am Faochgach on the extreme left. You picked the wrong day Monty!

Loch Garve and back over to the Black Isle:

Zoom to the eastern Fannaichs:

Loch Garve and the Wyvises, little and large (large behind with the majority of the snow):

I wandered around the summit area to get the best views in each direction, then took a slightly more easterly route down to Loch an Dubh-chairn, before following much of my outward route back to the car. I was home by 1pm, and glad I hadn't tried anything bigger, otherwise I would have missed this 8)

Loch an Dubh-chairn on the descent:

Last look down Loch Luichart:

Easy walking through the woods:

Parking and gate advice:

malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Strathconon Stunner - Carn Faire nan Con

Postby ChrisW » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:58 am

This is a cracking wee wander Malky with some stunning winter colour on those birch trees (looks almost like spring) the shot of Loch Luichart and the Corriemollie hills is absolutely beautiful, makes me homesick :(
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:07 am

Superb views, thank you for sharing :D How many times did I drive past this little hill, admiring its shape and thinking - is there an easy access to the summit? The Loch Garve side looks very walker-unfriendly. But I knew it must be a good viewpoint and now it will go on my shortlist (which is very long already :lol: :lol: ). Cheers!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby monty » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:19 am

Great report malky.
Superb set of photos. Aye sunday was much the better day.
monty

Postby foggieclimber » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:56 am

This is a super wee hill. With great summit views for minimal effort.

Interesting to see another route up this hill - I did it from Garve at the other side.

I like the disclaimer on WalkHighlands FB Page - (Warning: Malky walks very very fast)
:lol:
foggieclimber

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:06 am

Nice one :thumbup: Allways enjoy the Sub 2000 walk reports. Did you a report on your walk to the shops or have i missed it? :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby kevsbald » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:09 pm

A hidden gem! Nice one.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Nice clear pics Malky :) . Love Strathconon :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Thought I recognized thay loch malky,I was working at Lochluichart on the Garve to Achnasheen road 3 weeks ago & was wondering the name of the hills around................now I know...... :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby soulminer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:30 pm

A fine wee stroll indeed.
there was more than enough stunning scenery here!

I would tend to agree with that statement :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby malky_c » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Cheers all :D

I remember your report well Foggie - it was certainly one of the ones that made me take notice of this hill.

gammy leg walker wrote:Thought I recognized thay loch malky,I was working at Lochluichart on the Garve to Achnasheen road 3 weeks ago & was wondering the name of the hills around................now I know...... :lol:

Could be worse places to work - almost looked at moving there once before reality kicked in. Anything to do with the (whisper it) Lochluichart Wind Farm? Or the hydro power station at Grudie Bridge? Can't think of much else out that way.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby clivegrif » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:09 pm

Fabulous stuff, been round that part of Scotland many times, but not up this hill. Cracking photos, but I see what you mean about the lack of snow.

Was somewhat alarmed by part of Foggie's comment - 'I like the disclaimer on WalkHighlands FB Page - (Warning: Malky walks very very fast)'

OMIGOD - I've agreed to go out with him when he's in Wales :shock: Best I start training now.....
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby rockhopper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:33 am

cracking day malky and much better views than are often obtained from longer, bigger walks - great choice - cheers :D
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Redrock » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:47 am

Some great views, malky! Thanks for sharing them. :D It's definitely beginning to look like spring! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:51 am

Great stuff, this brought back a memory of a fishing outing on Garve and Tarvie lochs with my Dad and little brother way back in the early nineties...happy days. The surroundings were, as I recall, particularly striking then.

Have added these hills to my wish list and hope for as beautiful a day as this.

Thanks for the memories.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland