walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moncreiffe Hill - nipping out to the local for mid-term

Moncreiffe Hill - nipping out to the local for mid-term

Postby Graeme D » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Moncreiffe Hill

Date walked: 16/02/2012

Time taken: 1.2 hours

Distance: 3.5 km

Ascent: 220m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Reading Johnny Corbett's report on Moncreiffe Hill recently got me thinking how remiss of me it is that I have never posted one of my own on what is, after all, my closest listed hill.

I have probably been to the summit of Moncreiffe Hill some 20 times and have walked on its slopes without going all the way to the highest point on countless more occasions. Time for a formal report then, and this seemed like the ideal opportunity.

It was mid-term so I had the Thursday and Friday off work. Debbie had only that very week returned part-time to work after maternity leave, and with Thursday and Friday being two of her three days, yours truly was spending his mid-term with his daughter. Not that I am complaining one iota - I had long since dismissed the notion of getting my parents to do the needful while I headed for the bigger hills further afield. But with the weather looking half decent, and JC's report still fresh in my mind, I decided that a wee jaunt up "Monkey Hill" would be a fine way to spend some quality time with my wee girl...... and besides, Lucy Dog had her legs crossed.

I opted for the ascent from the Perth side so drove over the Queen's Bridge and along through the harbour before turning onto the Rhynd road and into the Tay carpark. We were off at 10.45 from the busy carpark, Lucy scampering around like she was still a pup or something and Ailsa sitting proudly in the baby carrier on my back getting the best view of the three of us.

IMG_8862.JPG
Information panel at the Tay carpark

IMG_8863.JPG
Kinnoull Hill and Binn Hill across the Tay

It was a pleasant day with a distinct hint of spring in the air and my quick pace (I had only a fairly brief window of opportunity in which to get the walk done and get back home for lunchtime before all hell broke loose) and the weight of Ailsa on my back quickly had me warming up a bit too much for comfort.

Despite the busy carpark, there appeared (fortunately) to be few people around to hear my renditions of "Going on a bear hunt" and "The wheels on the bus" as we zig-zagged our way up the path towards the "portal" - an old pictish fort site now marked out with fenceposts and sporting the obligatory information panel.

IMG_8869.JPG
Inside the "portal"

IMG_8870.JPG
Perth and Friarton Bridge

The views soon open up looking upriver through Perth towards the higher hills of the Pitlochry and Braemar areas as well as downriver through the Carse of Gowrie towards Dundee.

IMG_8872.JPG
East along the Carse with Norman's Law in Fife in the distance

Moncreiffe Hill, like Kinnoull Hill directly across the Tay, is well known for it's array of woodland sculpture and "modern art" and we are soon passing well kent characters such as the deer (a relatively new addition), the dragonfly and the slug.

IMG_8873.JPG
Lucy, be careful my deer, there might be bears in there!

IMG_8876.JPG
Hang a left here

IMG_8877.JPG
Mrs Dragonfly

IMG_8878.JPG
Mr Slug

A left at the next (unsigned) junction brings a change in the character of the woodland as we emerge into the lovely area of larch and pine trees just below the summit.

IMG_8881.JPG
Kinnoull and Binn Hills again

IMG_8882.JPG
A change in the nature of the woodland

Keeping left at every turn we reach another information panel about the historical importance of Moncreiffe Hill as a site of ancient Pictish settlements and fortifications and then make the short but sharp pull up the grassy summit cone to the little cairn.

IMG_8883.JPG
Just below the summit cone

From the summit it is well seen why those Picts set up home up here - you could see anybody approaching from anywhere with plenty of time to get the "welcome reception" organised.

IMG_8887.JPG
Perth, the Tay and Kinnoull Hill from the top

IMG_8888.JPG
Carse of Gowrie and the Firth of Tay with Dundee and Fife beyond

Having lived in Perth for nearly 9 years, Moncreiffe Hill has always been a special place during that time, but having also spent 3 months last summer living in Bridge of Earn on the other side of the hill, it has now assumed extra significance. You can stand at the summit and see Perth one way (although our actual house is hidden from view behind the shoulder of Kinnoull Hill) and Bridge of Earn (and our temporary home of last summer) the other way. Living out in Bridge of Earn and frequently walking Moncreiffe Hill from that side also made me appreciate that it is more Bridge of Earn's hill than Perth's.

IMG_8890.JPG
Ailsa and her hometown

IMG_8891.JPG
What are we doing up here AGAIN daddy????

IMG_8892.JPG
What mid-term is all about!

IMG_8893.JPG
Bridge of Earn from the summit

Before returning to the car, we quickly nipped down from the summit and over to the path which runs along the edge of the cliffs overlooking the River Earn and the M90 and up to the trig point.

IMG_8896.JPG
Towards Abernethy and Fife

IMG_8897.JPG
Through the trees on the edge of the crags - the white of the trig pillar can just be made out through the trees just to the left of the centre of the picture

IMG_8898.JPG
Perth and the white span of the old Perth Bridge just visible through the trees

IMG_8899.JPG
More Pictish information

IMG_8901.JPG
Strathearn from the trig

IMG_8903.JPG
Bridge of Earn and the M90 to Edinburgh

From here, I beat a hasty retreat back down the way I had ascended and just about got back for Ailsa's lunch before the complaining started in earnest.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Moncreiffe Hill - nipping out to the local for mid-term

Postby Redrock » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Ah! Our local wee hills! It's good to recognise them - and enjoy them, Graeme! :D It looks an enjoyable wee walk and I get the impression Ailsa enjoyed it too! You know, in no time at all, she will be in wee boots and making her way up there with you all by her own power! :D BTW "Going on a bear hunt" is a big favourite with my grandson too! :lol:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Looks a nice wee local walk that Graeme. Love the last photo of a smiley Ailsa, as Redrock said, she'll be making her own way up in boots in no time 8)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:12 pm

I like that route Graeme, it looks marginally better than the one i took. A nice wee wander this hill :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ChrisW » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Lovely report Graeme, those deer are quite impressive. I hope that large stick that lucy was dragging about wasn't a leg off one of them :shock: :lol: Ailsa must be almost 1 now isn't she (born just after my Grandson last year) she'll soon be running up there shouting for you to keep up :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:43 pm

ChrisW wrote:Lovely report Graeme, those deer are quite impressive. I hope that large stick that lucy was dragging about wasn't a leg off one of them :shock: :lol: Ailsa must be almost 1 now isn't she (born just after my Grandson last year) she'll soon be running up there shouting for you to keep up :D

Hey i became a grandad last year also, so i'll be looking for grandfather rights when i'm out walking with anyone on here :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Cheers folks. Well worth a daunder up there if you're in the neighbourhood and don't know the hill.

Yes Chris, Ailsa will be 1 in just over 3 weeks time! Where did it go????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby malky_c » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Looks more pleasant than my dash up there on christmas eve :)

Nice photos. If I lived in Perth I think I'd be up here most weeks.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Bod » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:08 pm

A lovely report Graeme, with yourself out with the family. Ailsa looks well cool and happy! :D Having your local hill as a favourite spot is a great thing, ours being Benarty Hill, but I thinks we will now need to extend that up to Moncreiffe Hill too. Cheers the noo :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby rockhopper » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Certainly nice to have this on your doorstep Graeme with some good views :D [Think if I had something like this locally I might actually manage to get out :?] I see Ailsa's already chuckling at the thought of mid term holidays - cheers
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland