walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blackcraig Hill, Glen Afton

Blackcraig Hill, Glen Afton

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Blackcraig Hill

Donalds included on this walk: Blackcraig Hill

Date walked: 13/02/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A short report here of a short walk. Time was the main factor today hence the enjoyable short walk to Blackcraig Hill. We parked just before the bridge in Glen Afton and took the path upto the cairn and from here to the 675 mark and onto Blackcraig Hill. We descended north west after getting back to the 675mark. Conditions were not great as it was windy and visibility was poor, it was none the less a good walk with an interesting rocky summit.
P1020329.JPG
The start

P1020330.JPG
The burn

P1020331.JPG
Low cloud

P1020332.JPG
A waymarker

P1020333.JPG
The cairn at Quinten Knowe

P1020334.JPG
Heading up

P1020335.JPG
The 675m ciarn

P1020336.JPG
Blackcraig Hill summit

P1020338.JPG
Us at the summit

P1020341.JPG
On our way down

P1020343.JPG
Glen Afton

P1020344.JPG
A waterfall
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Blackcraig Hill, Glen Afton

Postby soulminer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Haven't been up there for years (decades :oops: ) Camped on the summit when I was 11/12 in an old canvas tent. I stayed in New Cumnock at the time, and thats how we passed the time -fishing and camping.
Some fine views from the summit on a clear day, you will have to go back to find out :lol: or just take my word for it :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby ChrisW » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Looks like 2 different days there JC, shame you missed out on the summit views....maybe next time eh :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:51 pm

]
soulminer wrote:Haven't been up there for years (decades :oops: ) Camped on the summit when I was 11/12 in an old canvas tent. I stayed in New Cumnock at the time, and thats how we passed the time -fishing and camping.
Some fine views from the summit on a clear day, you will have to go back to find out :lol: or just take my word for it :lol:
Cheers and what a way to pass the time Soulminer, i imagined the views would be good. I'm thinking returning this Sunday to climb Windy Standard. I'd also like to do a circuit taking in the Donalds but will leave that for a good day :D

ChrisW wrote:Looks like 2 different days there JC, shame you missed out on the summit views....maybe next time eh :wink:

The clear blue sky days are coming Chris, i don't know when but they're coming :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby malky_c » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 pm

Shame about the weather. Still, it kept the walk short anyway. I was looking at a short route on this before noticing two Donalds I hadn't done. Before you know it, you're working your way through another list :lol: . Anyway, I never got around to it. Looking forward to some more trips in this area at some point though.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby daveh » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:50 pm

Good memories there and when i first moved to Scotland we lived on the Afton Road so did plenty of walking around there.Thanks for posting and i dont remember the posts but do remember the dogs at the farm :(
daveh
Stravaiging

Munros:72   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:16

Postby tookiebunten » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:53 pm

That looked like great weather on Blackcraig ;) It's cracking hill too many times over looked and has spectacular views on a clear day...... Great report and I enjoyed reading it :D
tookiebunten
Hill Bagger

Fionas:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Thanks guys it's good to have given some recognition to what is, as you say Tookie, an overlooked hill :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Tinto63 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:43 pm

I parked at the same place the day after you (14/2) and followed the same route up to Quintin Knowe, but then went north over Laglass Hill to Hare Hill (listed as a SubDonald in the New Donald tables) - I must be getting desperate!

These two hills are covered with wind turbines, but the mist was well down and only saw 2 or 3 all walk, but could sometimes hear the creaks, groans and swishes as they rotated. There is a turbine about 30m from the cairn on Hare Hill and could only just see the tower. Obviously not as nice hill as Blackcraig which I have already been up twice, and lots of peat hags and boggy bits on the way from Quintin Knowe. I had considered heading NE from the cairn and going to High Cairn and McCrierick's Cairn but as I could see rather less than the square root of sweet FA, retraced my steps and had a short day.

Enjoy your wanderings!
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Tinto63 wrote:I parked at the same place the day after you (14/2) and followed the same route up to Quintin Knowe, but then went north over Laglass Hill to Hare Hill (listed as a SubDonald in the New Donald tables) - I must be getting desperate!

These two hills are covered with wind turbines, but the mist was well down and only saw 2 or 3 all walk, but could sometimes hear the creaks, groans and swishes as they rotated. There is a turbine about 30m from the cairn on Hare Hill and could only just see the tower. Obviously not as nice hill as Blackcraig which I have already been up twice, and lots of peat hags and boggy bits on the way from Quintin Knowe. I had considered heading NE from the cairn and going to High Cairn and McCrierick's Cairn but as I could see rather less than the square root of sweet FA, retraced my steps and had a short day.

Enjoy your wanderings!

Cheers, I noticed there was a couple of Donalds once i got home so it'll be nice to return and conquer them somtime :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby coldwetandhungry » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:02 pm

nice weather you got for it :( worth another shot in good weather to get the views probably :lol:
coldwetandhungry
Mountain Walker

Munros:31   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland