walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bla Bheinn (Blaven)

Bla Bheinn (Blaven)

Postby martyn » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:37 pm

Route description: Blà Bheinn (Blaven)

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 24/09/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First climbed Bla Bheinn in 2005, following the route described to the N summit, crossed over to the S top (easier than at first sight) then down the S ridge to join the track from Camasunary back to the car park at Kilmarie....helps to have transport arranged (in my case, courtesy of a very friendly and obliging B&B in Torrin).
It was a warm, cloudless, windless day in August - I got sunburnt, dehydrated and collected a twisted ankle coming down the S ridge. Met one person all day - on the main summit, where we swapped photos. This was my second day back in Skye after a wet few days over 30 years previously. This day in 2005 was the day I caught Skye fever.
I climbed Bla Bheinn again this June with one of my sons who insisted on us tackling it despite the wet, cloudy, blustery weather - which meant frequent soakings and only fleeting glimpses of some great views across to Clas Gach. Last October, he collected Pinnacle Ridge on Gillean so he thought this was just a nice walk in the rain. Humbling.
An accessible mountain with a big character - and some of the best views (if you're in luck) of the Cuillin Ridge.
The slightly rubbishy gully mentioned in the route description can be safely, if airily, bypassed to the right in ascent (to the left in descent).
martyn
Munro compleatist

Re: Bla Bheinn (Blaven)

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:37 pm

martyn wrote:First climbed Bla Bheinn in 2005, following the route described to the N summit, crossed over to the S top (easier than at first sight) then down the S ridge to join the track from Camasunary back to the car park at Kilmarie....helps to have transport arranged (in my case, courtesy of a very friendly and obliging B&B in Torrin).
It was a warm, cloudless, windless day in August - I got sunburnt, dehydrated and collected a twisted ankle coming down the S ridge. Met one person all day - on the main summit, where we swapped photos. This was my second day back in Skye after a wet few days over 30 years previously. This day in 2005 was the day I caught Skye fever.
I climbed Bla Bheinn again this June with one of my sons who insisted on us tackling it despite the wet, cloudy, blustery weather - which meant frequent soakings and only fleeting glimpses of some great views across to Clas Gach. Last October, he collected Pinnacle Ridge on Gillean so he thought this was just a nice walk in the rain. Humbling.
An accessible mountain with a big character - and some of the best views (if you're in luck) of the Cuillin Ridge.
The slightly rubbishy gully mentioned in the route description can be safely, if airily, bypassed to the right in ascent (to the left in descent).

Hi Martyn, What was that friendly and obliging B&B at Torrin? How far is it walk round from the bottom of the South Ridge to the 'usual' route?
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland