walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hey there!

Hey there!

Postby locket22 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Hi folks, just sitting at my desk, should be working but thinking about getting up into the hills again this weekend.

I'm new at this and just started to walk in June this year. I've got 24 Munro's under my belt but such a novice. I want to start to tackle some on my own and I've heard Beinn Dorain & Beinn an Dothaidh might be good, I'm mostly worried about getting lost if the mist comes down so for the first few on my own, ones with good paths might be a good plan.

Anyone got any advice they might wish to share.
locket22
Munro compleatist

Munros:60   Corbetts:1

Re: Hey there!

Postby benno » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi Locket22,
Welcome to the site! Ben Dorain should be fine, there's a clear path all the way up there...not so sure about Dothaidh but I did do it in snow so there may well have been a path. Other easier ones that would be good by yourself in that sort of region - Lawers group, Ben More, Carn Mairg circuit (if you can get past the iron gate). All have fairly clear paths and straightforward navigation. Also Ben Vorlich (Earn) - was my first solo munro and was fine.

Hope you get a good weather day!
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby locket22 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:10 pm

Hey Benno

Thanks for that. I'll check out Ben More, Cairn Mairg and Vorlich - We did the seven summits in one beautiful day at Lawers - it was superb. Cheers for the advice.
locket22
Munro compleatist

Postby gillhowatson » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi there, my first was Ben Vorlich at Loch Earn.It has a reasonable path all the way up. I also found Ben Chonzie fairly ok. There is a lot of chat about it being rather dull but I foung the countryside pretty and the views from the top lovely. It is more like a big hill but I still felt a sense of achievement in getting to the top. It's a good one for starting out. I have only done eight so far so am a novice too.
Best Wishes
Gillian
gillhowatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:41   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby locket22 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:39 pm

Yeah - someone else mentions Ben Vorlich Loch Earn. It's fairly close to me too so will check it out......thanks for the nod.
locket22
Munro compleatist

Postby IainG » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:36 am

Hello, and welcome! :D

Good suggestions there for easier hills. Ben Vorlich is particularly straightforward.

Although bigger walks, remember the Cairngorms have now got many good paths. Derry Cairngorm springs to mind, or Cairngorm itself. Ben Macdui from Cairngorm goes over the plateau so you'd need some skills in navigation. Bynack Mor is another with a good path past near Ryvoan Bothy.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby zebidee1 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:15 pm

Hello there, welcome along.

:D
zebidee1
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...