walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Balloch Castle Park

Balloch Castle Park

Postby Chrisabelle » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Route description: Balloch Castle Country Park

Date walked: 19/02/2012

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 8 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Work induced exhaustion prevented me from trying to go further afield today but I just HAD to get out into the beautiful day.
Balloch was just the place.
Beautiful Loch Lomond.jpg

Packed the dog into the car and off we went; parking in the car park near the walled garden not near the castle as in the description. Also went clockwise just to be different.
A wee detour up Winney Hill gave me a guestimate of 8km because I went twice around the park.Winney Hill was quite muddy underfoot and had to make several detours off the actual path due to fallen trees as well as the mud. Lovely to see lots of snowdrops though, spring is on its way.
Snowdrops at Winney Hill.jpg

The park got really busy with other dog walkers and families enjoying the gorgeous day.
The lowest park pathway was flooded by the Loch last time I visited but now it's nearly back to usual depth. Could only see the very tops of these poles the lasttime.
Jetty again.jpg
Boat jetty.jpg
Would have drowned at this spot :shock:
Farmers market was on at Loch Lomond Shores
View from Lomond Shores.jpg
so finished my day with a fresh steak burger for me and some gourmet dog treats for the best dog in the world.
Charlie; the best dog in the world!.jpg
Chrisabelle
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Balloch Castle Park

Postby Jock McJock » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Always a lovely walk just to get out as you say. Great wee park with some great views up the Loch and to the hills beyond :)
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Gavin99 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:44 am

It's a fine park for a wander , great views, plenty wildlife and some lovely woodland . I wonder when we'll see the dear old Maid splashing her way up the loch again ? :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby morag1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:15 pm

A lovely walk, something really special about Loch Lomond :D
morag1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland