walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Derry Cairngorm from Linn of Dee

Derry Cairngorm from Linn of Dee

Postby PeteR » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 29/01/2012

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yet another delayed report from me. I can’t complain though. The walking’s been good and it’s a busy work that has stopped me from writing up reports recently :D :D That and a great week down in Dorset with my two young lads over the half term break :D :D :D This is the first of two reports to get me back on track (although no doubt by the time I get the second report done I’ll have been out again :lol: :lol:

I’d had the idea to head to Linn of Dee and have a bash at Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch on the Sunday. But this looked a long old day for the Winter, so instead I thought I’d do Derry Cairngorm and, if the weather was favourable, take on Macdui and then descend to Luibeg Burn via Sron Riach. Not a short walk in itself for a winter’s day either, but as I’d been in the area a few times before I was confident of my timings – what with the walk into and out from Derry Lodge.

Well I managed Derry Cairngorm, but the weather wasn’t favourable so no Macdui this trip, as the cloud hung round its summit all day. I’ve always wanted to do Macdui on a clear day, so I’m quite prepared to bide my time and do it as part of a long circuit one day with Cairn a Mhaim and Derry Cairngorm.

The walk into Derry Lodge is pretty uneventful. Long.........and leaving me wishing I was in possession of a mountain bike just to get me to Derry Lodge that bit sooner :shock:
DSCF6134.JPG
My target for the day, with a fair covering of cloud :(

When I arrived at the lodge there were a fair number of mountain rescue vehicles parked up. If not on a training exercise then I assumed it was a continuation of the search for the poor chap missing round the Courror bothy area. Throughout the day I’d also heard the rescue helicopter whirring about somewhere in the distance, but never in view.
DSCF6141.JPG
View from just off of Derry Lodge

From the lodge it’s a good path up through the Scots pines to a couple of styles and bizarre gates in the fence which I can only assume is there for the “little people” :lol: :lol:
DSCF6145.JPG
The Hobbits gate :)

DSCF6146.JPG
Route ahead, although it got a bit icier as the path headed up to the right at the crags

I’d been having a problem with repairs I’d carried out on my right boot a couple of weeks earlier, which was now giving me real jip. So once I was over the styles and on open hillside it was time to stop and effect some emergency repairs. Once these were done progress was so much easier. Why oh why hadn’t I stopped earlier to do this :? :shock:

Once on open hillside the good path continues. Eventually it became a bit “occasional” for me in places, but that may have been down to the snow higher up making it less than obvious. The route was obvious though, so that was all for the good.
DSCF6151.JPG
View back to Glen Lui

DSCF6165.JPG
And again, a little higher up

DSCF6170.JPG
Morrone

DSCF6171.JPG
Looking back down the path I was walking. A little higher up and it was soon getting buried in the snow

DSCF6172.JPG
Zoomed in shot

DSCF6187.JPG
In the Lochnagar direction

DSCF6189.JPG
Expanding view down Glen Lui

As I got higher so the cloud seemed to drop down lower and the views, as they were, became fewer a further between :( :( Macdui looked like it was definitely for keeping itself well hidden from me sadly. Also higher up the rocks became bit more slippery and the slope a bit steeper (but never steep), which made progress a bit slower. I was keen to make sure that I didn’t end up with a broken ankle or anything picking my way through the rocks, so foot placement was crucial :shock:
DSCF6193.JPG
The route ahead - path showing to the right of the shot

Then I had one of those moments when I arrived at a cairn!!!!!!!!! Thought it was the summit and was sitting there rather smug at my time to the summit, only for the clag to clear and show me I had further push to the summit :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

A short while later, slipping up the rocks, and I was eventually at the top.
DSCF6218.JPG
Summit Cairn

Views were still hampered by the cloud, but for a brief moment it looked like the cloud might clear and I might get to do Macdui, but after about 15 minutes I gave up as more cloud seemed to roll in :shock: :(
DSCF6234.JPG
Blue Sky :) :)

DSCF6235.JPG
Shortlived though, as the clouds rolled in behind me :( :(

Slippery rocks too

DSCF6245.JPG
The letterbox shot

Sods law though, as on the way down the cloud did break giving good views to Beinn Bhreac and also toward the Cairnwell hills, but never over Macdui :(
DSCF6261.JPG
Beinn a Chaorainn

DSCF6273.JPG
Glen Lui again

DSCF6297.JPG
View to the forest of Mar

DSCF6302.JPG
Carn a Mhaim

DSCF6303.JPG
Not a snow storm I'd like to be in.......little did I know what would be dished up later

The trip down was a reverse of the route up, albeit I decided to visit the minor tops on the way down. Got some nice views to Bynack More.
DSCF6310.JPG
Bynack More

Just passed Carn Crom and the snow started up. As much as I was quite enjoying it the thought in my mind was the long walk back from Derry Lodge and the drive over the Devil’s Elbow :shock: Let’s hope the snow had stopped by then :shock:
DSCF6337.jpg
Tree

On the way back I was offered a lift by one of the MRT crews, but I’m a car-to-car walker so politely declined the kind offer :D :D Eventually arrived back at the car and was soon heading back up the road.

Unfortunately the snow was on again, this time heavier than when I was on the hill. Did I enjoy the trip over the Devil’s Elbow :?: :?: :?: No, I didn’t :shock: :shock: I can only apologise to drivers behind me :lol: :lol: It was slow, slow, slow from me as I attempted to peer through the snow being swept up by the wind I’m not a big fan of driving in the snow in the dark, so this was a bit of an experience. Was I relieved to get through the snow :?: :?: Yes I was :lol: :lol:

All in all though another good day out on the hills :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Derry Cairngorm from Linn of Dee

Postby Bod » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:45 am

Another enjoyable report there PeteR, sounds like things are good for you and glad you enjoyed the half-term hols, nice letterbox shot..... :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby rockhopper » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:49 am

Great stuff PeteR - some nice, atmospheric shots esp the photo looking back to Bynack More - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Nice stuff Pete and some lovely pictures, especially the latter ones. Really like the shot over to Forest of Mar and the one looking back down the ascent ridge onto DC. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Great report again Pete :D :D

Glad to hear your absence from the site was due to you having fun with your boys- any chance they will be joining you on the hills in the future? :) :)

I know you didn't get fabbie weather but the photos are still ace and it makes the little patches of blue sky all the more desirable :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:24 pm

PeteR wrote:Yet another delayed report from me

Better late than never!! :lol: A great report, really enjoyed it and some fantastic photos, Pete :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby pigeon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Good report again pete,how long did it take you roughly?Missed out on Derry twice on our 2 visits to the cairngorms so hope to get up there in spring,maybe try and tag Beinn Mheadhoin on along with it :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Enjoyed the report and the photoies are nice, the rocks sure do look slippy on the way up
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby doogz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Liked that

I think the offer from the MRT would have been kindly accepted by me :lol:

Good trip report

I done the DC and Carn a Mhaim route, the traverse over the cliffs being the highlight onto Sron Riach
We had a military helicopter flying at same height about 100m or less with the soldiers standing in the doorway laughing as we slipped and slid across the cliffs

Need to go back here soon ...most enjoyable walk
Last edited by doogz on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doogz

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Enjoyed that Pete hope you MacDui it the next time :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby ChrisW » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:38 am

Great report as always Pete, some cracking pics of a lovely winter wonderland....If you want a tip for driving at night when its snowing simply put your main beam on and drive really fast.....its like being on the starship enterprise, you'll love it :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alastair S » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:26 am

Nice one Pete :thumbup:

The Carn a'Mhaim, Ben Macdui, Derry Cairngorm circuit is a great day if you get halfway decent weather. But at 33km cycling to Derry Lodge is a must if (like me) you are pushing 50+.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby jonny616 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:23 pm

Great stuff Peter. I haven't got stuck into the 'gorms' yet, but will be re reading when i do 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby PeteR » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Bod wrote:Another enjoyable report there PeteR, sounds like things are good for you and glad you enjoyed the half-term hols, nice letterbox shot..... :D :D :D

Cheers Bod. Things certainly are good, but hectic. Hoping to get out sometime this weekend, but not looking to hopeful for me at the moment :(
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:16 pm

rockhopper wrote:Great stuff PeteR - some nice, atmospheric shots esp the photo looking back to Bynack More - cheers :D

Thanks rockhopper. Got to admit I was pretty chuffed with the view back that way. The weather seemed to break that side for a while and give me some descent views :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland