walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Beinn a'Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Postby jwramsay » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 14/08/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday 14th August 2010 and I'm out on my own to bag 2 munros. I park in the farmers field as the "car park" left me with 1 wheel off the ground. I walked along the hydro path all the way to the High Bealach between Stob Diamh (which I did when I climbed Cruachan) and Beinn a'Chochuill. Reasonably steep climb with no path got me to the summit of Beinn a'Chochuill. Then its a ridge walk and a decent to the bealach with Beinn Eunaich. Climbed that and then an easy stroll for a bit until *that* descent! Very steep down the side, and back to the path. Glad to see the farmer and his Highland cows left my car alone!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Photostop at Kilchurn Castle on Loch Awe. Behind and left is Chochuill, behind and right is Eunaich

A wee look over left to Stob Diamh and Ben Cruachan

A look back down the valley I'd just traversed. path on left.

Now high enough up to see the Connell Bridge at the head of the River Etive

On the descent from Chochuill along the broad ridge

And now on the way up Eunaich

Summit of Beinn Eunaich

Looking back at Chochuill from Eunaich

I walked right up to that Beallach and then right turned and up the steep slope of Chochuill

Looking ahead at the gentle descent down to Loch Awe

Another look back to that high Beallach - Chochuill to the right and the sea in the horizon

This shot clearly showns that well defined path that I walked up the beallach on

And back down at the farmers field we see the Dalmally horseshoe left and Chochuill right

Finally, a view of the rover track that takes you to the Beallach and up right for Beinn a'Chochuill

A wee video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZQFN2cX1o&hd=1[/youtube]
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Beinn a'Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Postby mrssanta » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Very clear and helpful report that and looks like it wasn't too bad a day either
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland