walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

16 miles on yesterday's blister...not my best idea!!!

16 miles on yesterday's blister...not my best idea!!!

Postby jstalker66621 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Chlamain

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Chlamain

Date walked: 22/02/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 930m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the strenuous walk of yesterday I was grateful for the five minute drive back to the hotel and a lovely warm shower (though the benefits of a hot bath would become apparent after the 2nd day of long slog!!). I had spent the evening trying to relax with some lovely supper and a bottle of Crabbies (well deserved if I do say so myself), but instead got increasingly frustrated at my inability to log onto the wifi that the hotel had advertised (and had been one of the main reasons for choosing it) as it meant I could not do my blog as I had hoped!! Small things, but they make all the difference when I'm away from home. An early bed beckoned after tea and the chance to have a bit of a late start by my usual standard...the start point being a mere five minute drive away after all. I was anticipating a decent standard of breakfast, given the quality of the meal last night, but could not have got it more wrong!! Admittedly the chef serves a fine warm plate...unfortunately the contents of said plate were merely lukewarm!! Who wants slightly warm beans and potato scone with barely warmer sausage and bacon??? Certainly not me, but that's what I got!! At least they had a fine line in fruity tea and some decent homemade jam to spread on my toast...but between the breakfast and wifi issue I don't think I will be returning.

Having settled my bill and packing the car I set off to the car park at Old Blair once more.

Unfortunately the weather was less than decent today and had been chucking it down all night long...the strum of rain against my window had endeavoured to keep me awake most of the night. This meant I would require to wear my hardshell against the wet, but minimal layering beneath as it was still surprisingly mild for the time of year. I had also decided to dig out my comfortable old Scarpa ZG10's for the occasion...try to save wear and tear on that blister from yesterday.

I followed the path out through the trees, crossed the small bridge over the access road, into trees once more and through the woods surrounding Old Blair. The path rises high above the river flowing through the town, wooden fencing erected along the way to fend off the risk of falling.

P2220003.JPG

Certainly if the wooden fencing is not enough to fend off the risk of falling then the nifty sign with the coolest graphic imaginable should do the trick.

P2220001.JPG

Follow the path through the woods, then out onto the road, back into the woods, then out onto the road again for a while...I was so glad of having comfortable boots on again, almost slipperesque compared to yesterday. Onwards and upwards through a variety of scenery, steep gorges to my right, rolling farm land to my left, then back into the trees again. There are tracks off to the left and right, notably to the falls of Fender on the right, but I continued on the main path until a noticeable branch off to the left through silver birches, eventually bringing you out onto a farm access road at the top. Follow this road for a while until you arrive at the edge of the firing range (which I had passed on the return leg yesterday).

P2220009.JPG

If the red flag is flying then there are shooters about...but the information board back at the car park had informed me it was safe to walk today...phew...who wants to get shot at just for walking a Munro!!
I followed the track as it headed downhill, across cattle grid and over stone bridge, past the shooting range, keeping to the track on the right as any left turn would take you up onto the shooting range.
Eventually the path flattens out again and heads out towards Gilbert's bridge (not a clue who Gilbert is/was but he has a bridge named after him so he must be important around these parts). Just before the bridge there is a gate to the left heading uphill (with a stupid looking little diamond gate beside it for pedestrian access apparently) which is the route to take outbound if you want to admire the scenery and beauty that would be apparent of there were any views through the low clouds!!
This path takes you high up through the woods once more, with expansive views of the river and glen floor below, including a large white farm that I would pass on the return journey. Then the path meanders gently to the glen basin once more...care must be taken in places as the path has eroded to such an extent that some of it more or less fell into the river. Thankfully there are tracks leading away from the river edge and are easily followed out along the valley floor adjacent to the river. There was a high rise in the path which brings you out at a small gate amongst a rocky patch of ground as the path crosses the Ach-Mhairc on a stone bridge...don't know why but all I could think of was "carry on up the Khyber"...very surreal moment in the mind of a lonely Munro bagger.

P2220027.JPG

The path to the left is to a view point, presumably of the beautiful Glen Tilt, whilst the path I followed was to the right and headed back downhill to the glen floor once more. As I walked along this route I passed marble lodge at the other side of the river...arriving at Gaw's bridge. From here the walk carries on along a farm road for a while, crossing Allt Craoinidh on a small bridge.
Once over the bridge look for a faint track through the grass rising up the slope (there are around four or five boulders here to look out for if you cant see the path). Continue to rise steeply for a couple of hundred meters, leaving the bridge and glen floor far below, on the right side of the waterfall, eventually pulling up to join a bulldozed track at 400m. From here the path is well defined and bloody long!! It rises very gradually in places and covers a fair distance until you top out at Glac a Bhuic Eairb at around 750m...from here the track turns NW through increasingly boggy terrain and soft ground on the track (probably from all the rain and melted snow in the past week or so) until it pulls up onto the stony plateau of Carn a' Chlamian. I had to pass through a few patches of icy snow, carefully I might add, and then hauled up through the rocky scree to reach the summit cairn 963m...it took me 3.5 hrs to reach the summit cairn today (yesterday was 3hrs bang on and was a mile longer).

P2220036.JPG

The wind had picked up speed and ferocity as I had gained height along the way...so much so that when I reached the summit cairn I was almost blown backwards by the blast of wind coming across the stony plateau...when I took the pic of Jelly McBaby I was actually lying flat on the ground for fear of being blown over!! There was absolutely no chance of seeing anything from here today, which is a shame as Beinn Dearg is so close, as is Beinn a Ghlo, and the hills of Drumochter...not forgetting Schiehallion of course. Picture taken and getting increasingly cold I headed off to find the path once more...returning via the exact same route as I had ascended until I reached the glen floor once more. I stopped at the bridge to have a sandwich break and was surprised that even at this lever (200m or so) the wind was still managing to buffet me around. Thankfully the rain had long since stopped on the descent and visibility had returned at around 500m, and the temperature had increased as I had lost height.

I crossed the river Tilt at Gaw's bridge and returned on the opposite bank of the river, passing marble lodge and the white farm from earlier (the dogs wer going mental as i approached but were thankfully locked in pens) before eventually crossing Cumhann Leum bridge to take me back to the diamond gate once more.

The remainder of the walk back passed through the same route as outward, once more through the firing range, along the road, through the woods, along the bank high above the river and finally crossing the little stone bridge leading back to the car park. After taking so long to get up to the summit I was pleased to find that I had saved some time on the return route and completed it in exactly 6 hours. Because of the heat in the sun on the return my jacket had more or less dried out also...bonus!! Once back at the car I took time to consider the two journeys I had undertaken over the past two days...upon reflection I would not be adverse to doing either again, though only on a very clear day to guarantee views from upon high.

On the drive back up to Aberdeen my legs seized up after so many miles walked, though the good news is my blister has subsided enough for me to not feel it any longer...roll on Saturday 25th and a chance to catch up with the guys out at Kinlochleven...the Crabbies are on them!!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2836147149737.2122269.1440975916&type=3&l=505872cbbb
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Munros:257   Corbetts:6

Re: 16 miles on yesterday's blister...not my best idea!!!

Postby morag1 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:15 pm

I was just looking at your first report when this one came up - thought the computer had broken down for a minute :shock:

Looks a really nice walk, glad your blister healing up :D
morag1

Postby jstalker66621 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:31 pm

You think your confused...on my blog they have the same title...except day one and day two!!! Gotta keep the fanbase on it's toes... :D
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:40 pm

jstalker66621 wrote:You think your confused...on my blog they have the same title...except day one and day two!!! Gotta keep the fanbase on it's toes...

I am confused as it keeps being a sense of Deja vu thinking I've read the same words, seen the same photos :? :lol:

Still enjoyed the report and the photos :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:41 pm

Another smashing report Fairy Feet :lol: :lol:

My favourite pic is the sign showing a falling hill-walker- ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :shock: :shock:

So well done for completing this long lonely walk in crappy conditions with sore feet and rubbish breakfast in your tummy. I told you that place looked like it was closed for the season- maybe they don't want any visitors :( :(

Enjoy the rest of your holidays :thumbup: :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby basscadet » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Respect! Thats a long foot killing trudge in and out.. :thumbup;

I did these just a couple of weeks ago, and the conditions were unbelievably different.. almost looks like different hills.. :)
Were you not tempted to just do the both with a stopover at the Tarf? t'was a good circuit for me :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby jstalker66621 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:11 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:
jstalker66621 wrote:You think your confused...on my blog they have the same title...except day one and day two!!! Gotta keep the fanbase on it's toes...

I am confused as it keeps being a sense of Deja vu thinking I've read the same words, seen the same photos :? :lol:

Still enjoyed the report and the photos :D

Sorry about that Susie...cheers for the kind words again x
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Postby jstalker66621 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:14 am

pollyh33 wrote:Another smashing report Fairy Feet :lol: :lol:

My favourite pic is the sign showing a falling hill-walker- ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :shock: :shock:

So well done for completing this long lonely walk in crappy conditions with sore feet and rubbish breakfast in your tummy. I told you that place looked like it was closed for the season- maybe they don't want any visitors :( :(

Enjoy the rest of your holidays :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ha ha ha me too regards the sign....Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh gdoosh!!!

I will listen to you in future regards accommodation....NOT!!

Yours in hill walking

Fairy feet!!! x
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Postby jonny616 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:20 am

Nice one again. Good to get these two done. I found this one harder than Dearg. Mostly because the track was so icy. Although the company was good
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby rockhopper » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:38 am

A great couple of days, blister notwithstanding, but, jings, you don't half make things difficult for yourself :wink: :lol: wondered if you'd looked at walking both hills as a loop instead possibly with the corbett, Beinn Mheadhonach, in the middle - useful if you have a bike as well ? Well done and hope the blister heals quickly - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jstalker66621 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:02 am

jonny616 wrote:Nice one again. Good to get these two done. I found this one harder than Dearg. Mostly because the track was so icy. Although the company was good

Can't say I had any complaints regards the company on this trip either... :lol:
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Postby jstalker66621 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:17 am

rockhopper wrote:A great couple of days, blister notwithstanding, but, jings, you don't half make things difficult for yourself :wink: :lol: wondered if you'd looked at walking both hills as a loop instead possibly with the corbett, Beinn Mheadhonach, in the middle - useful if you have a bike as well ? Well done and hope the blister heals quickly - cheers :D

The bike idea would be good but for one tiny flaw...my inability to ride one!!

Never even considered doing them as a loop....confession time (but don't judge me harshly, I don't make a habit of it) when I arrived at the car park I couldn't find my map for the area (whoever borrowed it I want it back!!!) and the route didn't upload onto my GPS from walkhighlands...so all I had was a print off of the route description and thankfully a clear path to follow (don't do this at home kids) if only I had known to contact Mountainlove she could have drawn me one :) ...on day two the route had uploaded onto GPS but ended abruptly at the 'Khyber pass' gate, leaving me in the same situation as I had faced on the previous day!!!

A similar GPS issue arose when I did Beinn Narnain and Ime recently, just after reaching the bealach between the two, but thankfully I had a map that day.
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:51 pm

After walking in Moonboots the day before and walking this with a blister well done. Its an easy walk but its a long one. Good effort. :D
monty

Postby jstalker66621 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:52 am

monty wrote:After walking in Moonboots the day before and walking this with a blister well done. Its an easy walk but its a long one. Good effort. :D

Cheers Monty, it felt like such a trudge at times, especially with a foot throbbing so much!!
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland