walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pitlochry for pleasure

Pitlochry for pleasure

Postby dunrig » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:30 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 23/02/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Get early train from Glasgow, nip up Ben Vrackie, nip in Moulin hotel for some of their fine ales, walk back down to Plaice restaurant for great fish and chips-sleep it off on train home...
P1000169.JPG
P1000181.JPG
P1000186.JPG
P1000192.JPG
P1000196.JPG
P1000197.JPG
P1000198.JPG
Last edited by dunrig on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dunrig

Re: Pitlochry for pleasure

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am

Succinct! :clap: :clap: :clap:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mike216 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:58 am

:D

Yeah I've often thought you have to go a long way to beat this for an easy winter's day out!

Moulin Inn is wonderful and their ales are sublime, no further excuse needed to climb the Vrack!
mike216
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:138
Fionas:95   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:45   Hewitts:168
Wainwrights:214   Islands:12

Postby dunrig » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Couldn't agree more Mike-here is a the less succinct version Polly

Had a look at forecast on wed night, warm, windy, and wet over most of Scotland. Fancied a bit of self medicating real ale and a wee hill walk, always helps get commonplace worries into perspective.There are a few hills with breweries near start of walk (loch fyne..) but Ben Vrackie and Moulin brewery looked best bet with forecast.
My fellow train passengers are mostly workers, laptops and phones going as I stare out the window at sodden farmland and the cloud covered Ochils. Alighting at Pitlochry there is a sense of spring in air (at least break in winter), warmth, birdsong, greenery. Even the walk up the road alongside the Moulin burn is fine, a cloud free Ben Vrackie and a breeze that promises to blow all cares away as I get higher.
The car park is empty, surprising on this usually busy hill, maybe the forecast has put people off. Fir trees are lying across the path, a reminder of the ferocity of some recent storms. Moving out of the trees onto moorland brings a sense of space, the top of the hill is still clear,the wind blows me up in no time. It is not easy to stand up but I love the cloud capped view of southern cairngorms-a view with enough room to lose yourself in.On the way down pass a few people coming up, maybe enticed by lack of rain - ah but here it comes producing a memorable rainbow over Loch a'Choire.
The Moulin Hotel has a homely wood lined bar with a log fire going, real ale tastes great. 15 frenchmen come in and order expresso. They have no english but are intrested in haggis I mime (badly) whats in it- they decide to order something else.'allez les bleu' they are here for the rugby. I will draw a veil over rest of the day, it finished as I woke, happy and tired as the train drew into central station.
dunrig

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Thats what you call a good day, you can't beat the Moulin for a good pint :thumbup: Great report, short and sweet what more can you say :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Sometimes words can just get in the way of a damn good story! A thoroughly enjoyable viewing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ben Vrackie (or not as it transpired!) ....... The Moulin (most certainly as it turned out!) ......... now, have you heard the story about my Stag Weekend.........?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby PeteR » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Liked the summit shot ......... and the beer too :D I will definitely have to get MrsR up to Pitlochry to do this hill and if she's up for driving home I can enjoy a beer or three or four at the end of the walk too :D :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby monty » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Hey Dunrig,
I was up there in deep snow on the 19th, geez, global warming is really happening :lol:
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland