walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Caisteal and back

An Caisteal and back

Postby mr_mrsH » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 18/02/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was to be the first two Munros of 2012, but it never turned out that way.

Sunday 18th of February was looking like being a good day so it was up early, 6.45, and on the road by 7.30. got to the lay-by just outside Crianlarich by 9.45 and were kitted out and we were on our way.

The first obstacle of the day, apart from the boggy field between the lay-by and the railway, were the cattle that had decided to cross the bridge and go up the track at the same time as we did, managed to move most of them away but the last few would not budge so we had to take a detour of the track and around them.
DSCF4946.JPG
stubborn cattle

First mistake of the day going was going right past the gate and up the track, but not to far, so it was an added walk back to get on track, although there wasn't much of a track to speak of, we just headed in the general direction, up.
DSCF4951.JPG
the few back down

As we climbed higher the temperature dropped lower and lower. further up we did come upon a track but we still managed to go astray a couple of times and found ourselves on an icy slope, which we carefully crossed with the aid of our walking poles, to get back on the track. (we now have crampons for these situations).
DSCF4954.JPG

DSCF4965.JPG

eventually we reached the summit, the decision now, go on or go back, good sense prevailed and we decided to go back,
conditions ahead looked worse than we'd already gone through.
DSCF496801.jpg
on the summit

On the way down we met 3 seperate groups of different sizes who we had a quick chat to about the conditions further up and that we had decided not to continue, and when we looked back on our way down we could see some people on their way down.
DSCF4969.JPG
mrH taking the easy way down

Thankfully when we got back to the bridge the cattle had left so there was no detours required, but still had to trudge through the boggy field.
Now all that is required is to return someday and complete the pair.
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   

Re: An Caisteal and back

Postby jwramsay » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:18 am

Always the wise decision!

The hills WILL be there another day!
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby morag1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:27 am

A nice walk, think you did the right thing by playing it safe, good weather is on the way and you can bag many more hills soon 8)
morag1

Postby quoman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:57 pm

Some nice photo's there

And you done the right thing by going back well done again.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PeteR » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Nice pictures :D Really like this area and you definitely made the right choice to bag just the one in winter conditions without crampons. The dropp down off AC and then the climb onto BC are quite steep and if icy would be 'uncomfortable' without the right equipment regardless of the conditions.

I see the cows are still causing mischief then. I met them at the underpass once and two of them refused to budge, so I had to walk between them :shock: They're a bit of a phobia of mine - big, lumbering stupid creatures in my view. But I wouldn't want one of them taking a fright and knocking into me :shock:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Good choice going back :) ....as for cows a nice piece of Alkathene pipe or a stick on their tons will shift them :lol: :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland