walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A return to Glenshee, Glas Maol and Creag Leacach

A return to Glenshee, Glas Maol and Creag Leacach

Postby neilfowlie » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 02/07/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was a beautiful day when we arrived at Glenshee Ski Centre at 9.30am. It was time to complete Glas Maol Munros circuit from the Cairnwell Pass. A month had past when I did Carn an Tuirc and Cairn of Claise with Tom Buidhe. This was a long enough walk for me so Glas Maol and Creag Leacach had to wait for another day. In hindsight I should have parked the car at the bottom of the pass opposite Creagan nan Carn and tackled the path ascending Leacann Dudh first but that was in hindsight.
Andrea and I started our ascend following one of the chair lifts as a guide. The "path" wasn't too bad with just the odd muddy puddle to contend with. At the top of the ski lift we were able to pick up the path, after some carefull navigation through peat bog, that would take us to our first goal of the day, Meall Odhar, and then onto our first Munro, Glas Maol.
CIMG4279.JPG
Carn Aosda from the Ski Centre

CIMG4281.JPG
Creag Leacach, will be seeing you soon

Some spledid views looking down towards the Spittal of Glenshee with the side of Creag Leacach to the south and the silhouette of the North Cairngorms looking towards Braemar.
CIMG4298.JPG
Creag Leacach

CIMG4299.JPG
Looking down towards the Spittal of Glenshee

CIMG4304.JPG
Looking North near the summit of Glas Maol

It was a steady enough climb towards Glas Maol and by 11.30am we had bag our first Munro of the day.
CIMG4309.JPG
Glas Maol, 1068mtrs

CIMG4313.JPG

Sitting at the cairn having a bite to eat it started to cloud over slightly but it was still warm enough to leave the jackets off for the time being. With about 2.5kms from Glas Maol to Creag Leacach we decided to make a move.
CIMG4319.JPG

CIMG4318.JPG

CIMG4317.JPG

Instead of back tracking 250mtrs and picking up the path that would take us to our second Munro back we cut across the side of Glas Maol and joined up with the path just before the cairn at Bathach Beag. From here there were some stunning views down Glen Blighty.
CIMG4328.JPG
Glen Brighty

CIMG4322.JPG
Cairn at Bathach Beag and the Cairnwell Three

The closer we got to Creag Leacach the more we had to watch our footing as the path disappears to give way to small rocks and boulders as you approach the final ascent to the top. From here I could see Mount Blair to the south, Glas Tulaichean to the west and the Cairnwell Three slightly to the north.
CIMG4334.JPG
Almost there..

CIMG4341.JPG
Creag Leacach, 987mtrs

CIMG4349.JPG
Mount Blair in the distance

CIMG4351.JPG
Looking towards Glas Tulaichean

By 1.30pm it was time to head back to the car but now was the tricky part. Descending from Creag Leacach heading towards Meall Gorm was no easy task. Time and care had to be taken stepping from one boulder to the other until we reached the more flat grassy plain.
CIMG4358.JPG
Leacann Dubh

From here we descend down to one of the tributaries of the Allt Coire a Bhathaich to which we had to ford across at the bottom and start the long walk up Leacann Dudh. This is when I wished I had parked the car at this end and not back at the ski centre.
CIMG4367.JPG
A tributary of Allt Coire a Bhathaich

It seemed to take alot out of us to descend off Creag Leacach and then having to ascend almost 300mtrs up Leacann Dudh was a bit harsh. All in all though it was a nice walk up passing a shelter towards the end of the ascent. The ski lift were we had started from could be seen in the distance but we decided to descend down a track that would take us to the south end of the car park at the ski centre and then onwards towards our car.
CIMG4382.JPG
All smiles towards the end though
neilfowlie
Mountaineer

Munros:76   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland