walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The hare and me on Carn an Righ

The hare and me on Carn an Righ

Postby kevsbald » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:52 am

Munros included on this walk: Càrn an Rìgh

Date walked: 25/02/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1100m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This had been mooted as a potential date for myself, Graeme D and Curlywurly to meet up but I took the executive decision to stay East and grab this Munro, which had been a troublesome M-point for quite a while. Graeme texted me to say that he had been 'grounded' - quelle horreur! Daz was heading South to see Donalds. I parked at the Dalmunzie and paid my dues but it had a lovely look to it. I would return for afternoon tea. Got to be good to yourself. I decided to head via Glen Taitneach for the solitude. I really needed it.
IMG_0509.JPG
Looking up Glen Taitneach
It had been a difficult few weeks but there may be sunshine ahead. Carn Bhinnein and it's shapely nipple were prominent as were the crags just below it - there even looked to be a decent rock climb on one of the towers.
IMG_0511.jpg
Impressive tower with a potential rock climb
After a while, the land rover track petered out and I crossed the burn, which began its life in Loch nan Eun. The walk up to Glas Coire Bheag was steeper but to have walked to this point felt like it had required little effort. This boded well and I was really relaxed as I walked over towards the Mam nan Carn.
IMG_0516.JPG
Carn an Righ pops into view
A couple of walkers were descending off Tulaichean but I kept ahead - my competitive instinct cannot be quelled. The walk along to Carn an Righ was made even more pleasant by the morning clag being burned off and the profile becoming more apparent.
IMG_0517.JPG
Looking up towards the final approach
The final hike up to the summit was much steeper but once at the cairn, I was alone and settled down to enjoy lunch in peace.
IMG_0519.JPG
Beinn a Ghlo in the distance
Honey tea, melton mowbray pork pies, some Quality Street chocolates - wind diverted via the excellent shelter - bliss. I sat for 15 minutes and supped it all in. I decided to head back via the Tulaichean path but wanted to just head straight down off Carn an Righ before the steep re-ascent up towards the land rover track - while toughish, it offered the quickest way back to the best carrot cake I have ever had. Before I got there, I saw a mountain hare sitting happily, while the clouds broke behind him.
IMG_0520.JPG
Hello u
IMG_0521.JPG
This is my best side
IMG_0524.JPG
Happy hare
Sometimes a day on the hill is made my such a fleeting moment and I cherished that experience. Great day out.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: The hare and me on Carn an Righ

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Another enjoyable read Kev. Nothing better having the hills to yourself now and again and even better when you get the summit to youself for lunch especially with a nice big sheltered cairn :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby quoman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Nice one Kev
The snows fairly gone compared to last week when i was up there canny beat getting the hills to yourself.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PeteR » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Nice report Kev and liked the pictures of the hare. I think I often miss the wildlife when I'm out (or maybe it's my huffing and puffing that warns them I'm coming), but mountain hares are one of the few animals I have been able to capture in a picture ot two

Sad to see the snow pretty much all gone. Seems to have been so long since I was last able to get out that spring maybe on its way.

I have a bit of a soft spot for these hills and the surrpounding area. Did three from Glanshee last year and it's one of only two occasions I have been tired to the point I would galdly have lay down in the (wet) grass and gone to sleep :lol: Always enjoy a good report on these hills :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Nice one and usual grand report :D .......I was on the Glas Maol four on Saturday, first time in Gleann Sithean and managed to do Cairn a Claise twice !........Note to self always look at map & compass and never follow folks in the mist aaaaand do not park car four miles away in wrong lay bye :lol: :lol: :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:29 pm

an enjoyable one kev - weather seems to have been somewhat better over in the east - amazing how little snow remains :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby kevsbald » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:32 am

Thanks for the comments chaps.
Incredible lack of snow and it wasn't even that boggy so where the snow has gone, is beyond me.
I can't believe Winter is over yet though, sure we have some cold weather still to come...

As for conditions, MWIS was spot on - East was the place to be.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:38 am

Nice one! Good to see that you got out, and thanks for the mention "en passant"!

As for the snow, guess it's a case of "hare today, gone tomorrow"! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dooterbang » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Extremely lazy young man in not re-aquainting yourself with the nearby 2 Munroes :lol:

The Dalmunzie hotel is a nice place for a post walk pint.

Your correct...East was the area to be in. Myself and the dogs, ahem!, had clear views and sunshine all day long.

I too was dissapointed at the lack of snow although did find a lovely piste to practise some self arresting.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby monty » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:59 pm

Nice report Kev. Yep the snow has done a runner big time. Nice hare. :D
monty

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:48 pm

A fine report of a fair winters wander Kev, those hare pics are fantastic, like you say such things make a huge difference to the day :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Bod » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:01 am

Yes a very nice report there Kev. I have been up Glas Tulaichean twice in the past, camped overnight at Loch nan Eun and still never made in onto Carn an Righ or Beinn lutharn Mhor. Guess I just need to get back up there, cheers :D :D :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland