walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A slightly windy Braeriach

A slightly windy Braeriach

Postby chopper1982 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:21 pm

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach

Date walked: 24/02/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 19.3 km

Ascent: 1022m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Had a unexpected day of work on fri 24/2/12 so decided on the spur of the moment that i would finish work on thurs afternoon and head up to Aviemore with a view to attempting Braeriach,angels peak,Carn Toul and Devils point.5 star hill walking for me as i got a cheap room at the Hilton at Coylumbridge on the Thurs night,mega :D
after a very good sleep and a hearty breakfast i set of from the car park commonly known as the sugar bowl?!?
sun was out but as i made good progress toward the Chalamain gap the wind was already getting up.At this point i was a bit dissapointed with the severe lack of snow on the ground.
I was making fairly good progress and crossed the Lairig Ghru where a few patches of snow were still on the ground.
the initial climb was fairly easy and i was surprised at how quickly i was over the 1000m contour.After gaining this altitude your fairly exposed and the wind coming in from the NW was brutal,i was struggling to stand up at points,this coupled with the thick ice all over the plateu slowed me down a bit but decided to leave the crampons of as the ice was fairly patchy and the incline wasnt that steep.
on passing the Sron Na Lairige there was a slight descent then climb began to get steeper over a fairly expansive snow field which was fairly frozen.Crampons on,Ice axe oot!i was fairly sheltered for the last 150 m of the ascent but on the Braeriach Plateu itself the winds must have been hitting 80 mph and to add to that the snow/hail was now pummeling me horizontally.
i had a wee seat behind the fairly small cairn,got a few pics and decided that with the weather closing in,the wind getting stronger by the moment and the fact i was on my own :( it was probably best to call it a day.the return was plain sailing but was i but dissapointed at myself when i got back to the car that i hadnt carried on.I suppose it gives me a excuse for another crack at the other 3,perhaps from Linn of Dee this time.was a great wee walk with great visibility.wish everyday in the hill promised such weather.
Attachments
IMG_1615.JPG
IMG_1618.JPG
IMG_1621.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG
IMG_1625.JPG
chopper1982
Munro compleatist

Munros:63   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Islands:16

Re: A slightly windy Braeriach

Postby kevsbald » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:42 am

Think you were spot on to have just bagged Braeriach - you'll enjoy going back up to hit the other hills.
I have the same gloves as you - aren't they fab?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:56 am

Good report chopper and some good pics too. What is the first one though- I can't work it out?
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:18 am

Looks a bit like some of the aeroplane wreckage on Sron Riach, but I suppose Chopper will tell you for sure.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:27 am

Looks cauld up there chopper nice picture's
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Alastair S » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:52 pm

What a difference to last year. Tried this in mid-March and nearly gave up due to waist deep drifts in the bottom of the Lairig Ghru and then turned back at Sron Na Lairige due to wind, spindrift & clag (but still had a great day). Loved it when returned in the summer from the other side so I'm keen to try this route again in winter.

And I have the same ice axe and goggles as you - any takes for three matches :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby chopper1982 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:36 pm

Aye it was pretty baltic due to the windchill,water froze in my camelbak tube!the first pic is the landing gear from a blenhiem bomber.apparenty 2 crashed round that area in the 40's.most of the wreckage is still strewn across the area apparently.yeah cant wait to get back up to smash the others.im that keen im thinkin bout tomorrow or Thurs.
chopper1982
Munro compleatist

Postby chopper1982 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:39 pm

oh and gloves ice axe and goggles were all new editions to my kit,been indispensible this winter.Gloves are great for the amout they cost.
chopper1982
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland