walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dreichit in Drumochter

Dreichit in Drumochter

Postby basscadet » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim, Meall Chuaich

Date walked: 26/02/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 39.5 km

Ascent: 1488m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Friday, I felt awful with the dreaded lurgy, and had to leave work before lunch because I was so achey and tired.. I went to a mates house on my way home, and slept on his couch for a few hours, thinking there was no way I could go walking, then got a lift home and slept some more. At 3 in the morning, I awoke feeling a lot better, so bathed and packed and went to get the train at 6.. I might as well go, and see how I feel.
So I arrived in Dalwhinnie, after being immersed in a fantasy novel all the journey, and it was quite a shock to the system. It was drizzling and windy.. I wondered what it was like up top.. not pleasant I imagined. I looked for my GPS, but it was no-where to be found, left on the coffee table at home :( I didn't need it, but still annoying.. I wandered up to the A9, and along the cycle path. A couple stopped to tell me that it was a cycle path, and I shouldn't be walking on it :? even though there was plenty room, and I was only on it for 200 yards :lol:
I headed up the track, which soon headed upward, the relentless drizzle already dripping off the peak of my waterproof. There was some patchy sunshine about, and some beautiful rainbows, so I got the camera out, only for it to slip out of my hands into a puddle!.. It was dead. RIP :thumbdown:
The track was steep in places, rough and rocky, but also seemingly short as I came up to ridge in what felt like no time at all. It was like Paddy's market up there with the day trippers.. Even down to 100 yards visibility as it was, I could see 4 groups of people all headed in different directions! I headed to my right, taking the track over a couple of bumps before a final drop and ascent up onto A Buidheanach Beag, which was all very dull really. The wind was ferocious and I seemed to of amused some of the folk I passed by staggering about wildly. I was feeling rough and wanted to stop, but there wasn't any shelter to be had at all, so I pushed on to the summit, the rain and visibility getting worse all the time.
When I got there, it was a quick circle of the Trig, a tap and I was off again, back the way I had come.. Carn na Caim next in my sights.
The ridge was large and featurless, although I managed to get some shelter in some peat hags to eat something. I would of missed the summit of Carn na Caim, if there weren't other folk hanging around it. I'd seen bigger path markers than the cairn at the top, and there had been so many broad lumps on the ridge, that it didnt look any different really.. I thought to myself, that these were the last walkers I would see probably until tomorrow. I pushed on over more broad lumps, being careful in the mists to tick them off on the map and take fresh bearings at opportune moments. I was getting tired of being battered by the wind, and I was dead beat. :(
There was a steep descent down to Allt na fearna, and I easily picked out a nice spot for the tent. It was great to be down the other side of the ridge out of the wind! And even nicer to be back in the tent. I havent stayed out in it since the end of October, and it fair lifted my spirits to be cosied up, making a brew again. I had only left the station 5 hours ago, but it had felt like a tough walk, and I fell asleep before it was even dark. :D
I woke up about 10 and cooked dinner by lamplight. The wind had completely died off, and although I could just about see my breath, I was actually too hot. I read some book, and must of dozed off again, because I woke up to some rustling (and the gas lamp still on tut tut!). I sat up, just in time to see the tail end of a wee moosey fleeing from the top of my rucksack, where I had inadvertantly left a biscuit. I put the rest of it outside and went back to sleep. When I re-awoke at 7 feeling refreshed & revitalised, the biscuit was gone. :)
The tops were still in cloud, but the sun came out for a while to dry out the tent, which I grudgingly put away about 9 AM. I started the climb, through thick heather, but I was feeling an awful lot better and my legs werent nearly as heavy as yesterday. The last haul to the summit was steep and stony to ascend with a heavy pack, and seemed to take ages, but I made it to the top with its bizarre array of cairns. There was a decent enough path down the front of Meal Chuach, and I met loads of people heading up to the top, but as I got within sight of the track, and the wind was starting to get to a manageable level once more, the heavens opened, and a thick persistent clag came down. I dont know if it was the weather (I was heading head first into it) or the fact I was feeling well again, but I made it past all the hydro gubbings and back down to the A9 far quicker than I would of thought possible. I got on the train at 2, dripping wet and hungry as I realise now I hadn't stopped all day. I'm a bit disappointed that I never got any views this weekend, and that my camera is broken. The hills didn't seem that exiting, just round lumps, but it was great just to be out walking really. Glad I didnt let my cold keep me in :D
Attachments

Dalwhinnie.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Dreichit in Drumochter

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi basscadet,

Liked reading the report, pitty about the camera and the nae views
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Just as well there were no views with lack of camera, I suppose one clag pic is very like another. But I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and kudos to you for going out despite your weakened condition. I enjoyed reading about it.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Drumochters allways dreichit unless you're called Dooterbang :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby jonny616 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:36 pm

Sympathies over the camera. I dropped mine in a burn when walking in glenshee. I put it in a bag of rice for a week & no its ok. Enjoyed your report. I've recently done these hills myself. Two trips though.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby basscadet » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:09 am

I put my camera on he radiator so fingers crossed.. I once did the same to a mobile, and after a week of heating, it was right as rain :lol:

i think I'll go back this weekend and do the four on the other side of the A9, weather permitting.. Hope the views are better.. It would be nice to get views of the Alder range, Its a special place for me :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland