walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 Munros and a Corbett before lunch

2 Munros and a Corbett before lunch

Postby fipriestley » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:08 am

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall nam Maigheach

Date walked: 25/02/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast wasn't too bad for the day (light rain, winds not above 70) and when we parked the Munro summits could just about be seen with only small patches of white on the hills. So, despite my spending last weekend in Cairn Gorm corries doing a Winter Skills training course, I decided to leave the ice axe in the car :shock:

Started with the Corbett, where the ground was quite boggy and there was no path up here, but it was a good warm up :lol:
IMAG0803.jpg
heading thru peat bogs on Meall nan Maigheach
IMAG0808.jpg
SDC12813.JPG
Tarmachan Ridge from summit of Meall nan Maigheach

Cloud was moving around so there was hope our final summit would clear before we got there.
SDC12814.JPG
Looking to Meall Corranaich from Meall nan Maigheach

More or less took a straight line down from the Corbett, across the river and up Meall a'Choire Leith. Saw some deer way ahead near the top of this hill but hard to pick out in the photo!
IMAG0813.jpg
sun shines en route from Meall nan Maigheach to Meall a'Choire Leith
IMAG0814.jpg
route is just straight up (deer near the top)

First of the Munro summits was in cloud though I could briefly pick out snow patches on the hills beyond.
IMAG0822.jpg
summit of Meall a'Choire Leith
There was a short ridge path across to the second Munro.
IMAG0823.jpg
The climb continued through the clag and up over a patch where I should really have taken out my ice axe 'just in case'... I could almost hear last week's instructor shouting in my ear as I carried on in my softer-soled boots without crampons or ice axe [in my defence, there wasn't a treacherous drop here and there were only a couple of small hard ice patches while the rest was still soft enough for me to get a good foothold :D ]
IMAG0825.jpg
should have been prepared for this!
Then another short ridge up to the summit
IMAG0827.jpg
IMAG0829.jpg
1pm at the summit of Meall Corranaich, sun tries to break through
The cloud blew away to give a glimpse of a view back down to the car but I wasn't quick enough to get a pic! Heading back down the views opened under the clouds. Once back at the car the clouds moved to give a quick glimpse of the summit but again I wasn't quick enough wih the camera!
IMAG0833.jpg
IMAG0834.jpg
1 second ago you could see the summit up there!
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: 2 Munros and a Corbett before lunch

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:18 am

Nice report Fi

How was the boggy bit?plus nae bum slides canny believe it :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby monty » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Nice one Fipriestley. Good effort adding the Corbett to the two munros. Shame about the clag but you take your chances so well done on getting out. :D
monty

Postby scoob999 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Well done Fi
I'm struggling to stay in front of you! Must get out saturdays and sundays! :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby fipriestley » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:49 pm

quoman wrote:How was the boggy bit?plus nae bum slides canny believe it :lol:

Pretty soggy quoman, but not unbearable. Reminded me of walking over semi-packed snow where every few steps you sink down a bit! Got plenty slides in last weekend :D :lol:

monty wrote:Good effort adding the Corbett to the two munros.

Thanks Monty - the Corbett gave the best view from the top! Definitely worth doing :)

scoob999 wrote:I'm struggling to stay in front of you! Must get out saturdays and sundays!

haha, not racing - honest! :lol: I had to sleep most of Sunday to make up for <4hrs before this outing (and another night out right after it)... still find my hobbies clashing slightly :lol: :lol:
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:42 pm

A fine report of a fair old wander, real shame about the weather, I had to laugh when I read "Forecast wasn't too bad for the day (light rain, winds not above 70)" I remember it well :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland