walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spartleton and whiteadder

Spartleton and whiteadder

Postby laconic surf » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Route description: Gamelshiel Castle and Spartleton Hill

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Spartleton

Date walked: 28/02/2012

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having a couple of hours to spare on a tuesday morning, a wee visit to the Lammermuirs was called for. The road down to the reservoir is a quick undulating trip, save for the occasional glaikit sheep in the road :)
Parked up and headed up the track beside the whiteadder water.
IMG_0325.JPG
Car park overlooking reservoir

There is gentle wee climb along the bottom of Summer Hill until reaching the ruins of Gamelshiel Castle.

IMG_0328.JPG
Track leading to the ruins

IMG_0329.JPG
Ruins of Gamelshiel Castle

IMG_0330.JPG

Here the track turns North and the going gets a little steeper as the ascent of the sub2k marilyn Spartleton begins. There is a gap in the fence where the gate is now lying in a heap on the floor, presumably a casualty of the recent high winds. From here the track continues North but I decided a nice climb across the heather was in order. It was a little boggy in places and very bumpy, meaning the ankles were rolling around a wee bit but it was a nice push to the summit.

IMG_0337.JPG
Crystal Rig wind farm comes into view

IMG_0340.JPG
Pathless climb to the summit

IMG_0343.JPG
Cairn and trig point

Wee refreshment at the top before heading down to the gate was supposed to be next, but instead I started daydreaming and wandered south on the descent and totally missed the opening. A wee scout around and I spotted it up ahead back up the incline :shock: *£!"**%^"!
Unscheduled ascent done I followed the faint path towards the windfarm and the huge pylons. Here the path joined a stone road and joined onto the ancient Herring road where the Dunbar fishwives would lug the wee fishes to the market in Lauder. This road goes downhill into the valley below before turning south and back along the whiteadder towards the car park. This was a really lovely couple of hours out, highly recommended to anyone passing down that way, didn't see a soul all day.

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG
Herring road

IMG_0358.JPG
Track through the valley

IMG_0362.JPG
The home straight...
Last edited by laconic surf on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Re: Spartleton and whiteadder

Postby ybhighlands » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:52 am

Lovely pictures! I wish I could be there right now!
ybhighlands

Postby Tinto63 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:23 pm

This is on my 'to do' list. Thanks for the route and pics.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:39 pm

Nice one i like it. I've got a rather long to do list and this is on it :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby morag1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:34 pm

Really nice report

I've never been to the Lammermuirs and I've never even seen Spartleton so enjoyed looking at your photos :D

Ps also enjoyed your photos of Cairnpapple
morag1

Postby laconic surf » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Thanks guys. I'm lucky to be 20 mins from the Lammermuirs, I only passed two cars between Gifford and the reservoir, it really is a great place to walk if you want to get away from it all. There is something about the colours in these hills that you don't see too often.
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Postby gmr82 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:21 pm

laconic surf wrote:Thanks guys. I'm lucky to be 20 mins from the Lammermuirs, I only passed two cars between Gifford and the reservoir, it really is a great place to walk if you want to get away from it all. There is something about the colours in these hills that you don't see too often.

Not exactly the most prompt response............this was actually my first 'official' hill walk. Been trying to think why I chose this but I really can't remember (especially with the Pentlands being visible each day on my walk to work!). Definitely worth a trip, as LS says, lovely colours in this area and very quiet hills, and I enjoyed the drive from Edinburgh almost as much as the walk. A really peaceful drive in amongst the undulating hills - just watch out for sheep in the middle of the road!
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Moobli » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:11 am

Lovely report and great photos.

Aye, definitely watch out for the sheep in the road - they are mine! 8)
Moobli
Wanderer

Postby laconic surf » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:34 am

Moobli wrote:Lovely report and great photos.

Aye, definitely watch out for the sheep in the road - they are mine! 8)

Haha, will do :D
Since i first did this walk over a year ago, i probably now do it once or twice a month. Must have summited spartleton about 20 times now - often meet the farmer or his workers, friendly chaps. They were relaying part of the herring road but haven't been back in last month to see the finished product. I often wander over to the crystal rig, i must admit i quite like it.
If you see me with my boxer dog, giz a wave :D
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland