walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Panther's old stories: Burghead to Findhorn

Panther's old stories: Burghead to Findhorn

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Route description: Forres to Burghead , Moray Coastal Trail

Date walked: 13/03/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 19 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our recent visit to Roseisle Forest brought back memories from last year, when we spent some time exploring this part of Moray coast. Actually, I always liked the area of Findhorn and Burghead and even before I started serious hillwalking I used to come here, mostly to dig through the rubbish on the beach searching for shells to complete my collection :lol:
The rocky beach in Findhorn is also a perfect spot to observe wildlife, sea birds are at plenty:
...and on more windy days the angry sea waves are a spectacle to watch:
Last spring we had a few days off in March, it was relatively cold but nice enough to do some local walks. Burghead beach walk was a tempting option :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The distance between the villages of Burghead and Findhorn when walked along the beach, is about 6 miles (9.5km) but on a good day and with tides low it's all flat and easy walking and the beach is superb. We started from Burghead this time and headed west.
The village itself is an interesting spot to visit, with a pictish fort site and a fishing port. Some good panoramas from the viewpoint guaranteed, like this one, looking east towards Hopeman:
Burghead visitor centre on the edge of the cliffs:
The suitable place for parking in Burghead is next to the campsite on the southwest end of the town, basically next to the entrance tot the beach. The fishing port is to the right and one can pop in there to watch fishermen at work, but we walked straight to the beach. Low tide is crucial here if you want to wander about:
On that particular day, both the mighty sea and the changeable weather were at our side:
Seagulls were invited for dinner at Burghead Bay:
We walked west along the coast. The first stage was a wee bit muddy but soon we found ourselves at more solid sand, with a lovely, summery feeling around :lol: :
Only Ben Wyvis didn't exactly fit into the summer-like atmosphere... It was still dressed in white:
About 1 km west from Burghead we encountered first antitank boxes:
Well, different people will have different opinions about these concrete blocks on the beach. Some will find them spoiling the view and the natural environment, others won't mind, and lurkers like me will absolutely love them as an interesting addition to the landscape :D
The pillboxes were placed here in the 1940s, when the beach was used by the American and Canadian Military to train for the D-Day landings of the second world war. There are over ten pillboxes and hundreds of small antitank blocks (I didn't count them :lol: :lol: ) scattered along the seaside. Some of them have sunk into the sand and are partly worn away, but they are still a great place to lurk! And explore! Not to mention they have been inhabited by wildlife as well (mostly barnacles).
Some of the big pill boxes:
The best, the cleanest part of the beach is half way between the two villages:
Just past the ruins of Millie Bothy we had to cross a stream, but fortunately there's a small wooden bridge:
I was in my element, chasing wildlife and looking for beach treasures - the alive ones just to be photographed, like this starfish:
This herring gull has obviously found its own beach treasure :lol: :lol: :
Further towards Findhorn and more antitank blocks and pillboxes:
Even Kevin couldn't resist :lol: :
It was turning a bit windy but even through the wet air we still could see the opposite end of the bay:
Closer to Findhorn, the pillboxes are situated in the middle of the tidal zone rather than on the edge of the dunes:
We weren't the only people walking around:
An oil rig anchored in the bay plus some white background :D
Having a look inside, is anybody home?
One more pillbox:
Looking to Burghead from the dunes close to Findhorn:
The dunes of Findhorn and wind farms in the background:
An older picture, taken in 2010, shows the pill boxes submerging in the sea:
The final stretch of the coastline is more rocky:
On the way back we put cameras away and simply enjoyed the beach, the sunshine and the lovely views around. I can highly recommend this walk to anybody, and if you get tired of the seaside (is it possible???), you can always climb the dunes or hide in Roseisle Forest. One way or another - great fun guaranteed!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Panther's old stories: Burghead to Findhorn

Postby dogplodder » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:28 pm

I enjoyed that. :D Your pics are great! What camera have you? I'm trying to decide what to go for next but want one with a viewfinder which limits choice a bit.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:04 pm

Thanks, Dogplodder :D This walk was done a year ago when we still used our old Olympus C-725, only 3 megapix but very good lens and it was a great camera. Unfortunately it fell apart and last summer we replaced it with a bridge cam FujiFilm Finepix HS10 with 30x zoom. I absolutely love it :D and I can easily use it even with my limited knowledge about photography. An updated version (Finepix HS20EXR) is in ARGOS catalogue for £250. Here's a short overview, if it can be of any help:
http://www.cameras.co.uk/reviews/fuji-finepix-hs20exr.cfm
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:55 pm

That sounds a great camera but how bulky is it for carrying on the hill? I've been spoiled with my Sony Cybershot which sits in the palm of your hand. I don't mind going bigger than that but your new camera's lens doesn't retract so presumably it's too big to go in a pocket?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:09 pm

Yes, it's a bit bulky, we always carry it in a separate cam bag. I measured it, it's 6 x 6 x 4 inches so much bigger than little compacts and certainly won't go in a pocket.
I just remembered that there was a thread about bridge cameras on WH on gear-equipment forum, different folks describing their cameras, maybe that will help you as well :D
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17668&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby mrssanta » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:00 pm

I love that picture with Ben Wyvis in the background
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Another lovely coastal wander BP, brings back nice memories of home for me :D is it erosion that left those pillboxes in the sea?
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:17 pm

ChrisW wrote: is it erosion that left those pillboxes in the sea?

Yes, it must be coastal erosion, dunes being washed away by the sea. Some of these boxes are still on the very edge of the cliffs and close to Findhorn, many of them are on top of the dunes. Some rest in strange positions when the cliff collapsed below them:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland