walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

North Berwick Law

North Berwick Law

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:59 pm

Route description: North Berwick Law, North Berwick

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: North Berwick Law

Date walked: 25/02/2012

Time taken: 2.3 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first venture to Scotland for 2012 was to be a trip to Edinburgh to see some bands at Bannermans & to catch up with some friends i hadn't seen for a while,so this was an ideal opportunity to get in a bit of walking too. Managed to get a bargain on the train (£9 each way!) & after a 0700 departure from Lancaster i was at Waverley for 0920 & then away again on the 0943 to North Berwick. The journey took just over 30 minutes & was very pleasant as i enjoyed fleeting views of the Firth of Forth as we got further away from the city & then more impressively my first view of North Berwick Law itself as the train branched off the main line to what i have to say is a lovely little coastal town. Despite it's small size,The Law really did dominate the view all the way from this point on,standing alone in what otherwise is a very flat area.
From the railway station i turned right & then followed the signs for the sports centre & then arrived at the car park signposted for The Law. The route to the summit has been altered recently to allow for work to be done on the eroded path but the detour is only slight & well signed. The forecast had been for a dry but cloudy day,fortunately this wasn't the case & the sun was out,giving an almost spring like feeling which was added to by the already flowering Gorse.
001.JPG
Gorse.

The detour path soon rejoined the usual waymarked route & i made my way to the summit,the views over the Firth of Forth opening up as the path weaved it's way round to the North side of the hill. Once at the summit the wind was blowing & although not particularly cold,it did make for a struggle to stand still to take photo's!
002.JPG
View from inside the ruin near the top.
004.JPG
Trig point & view indicator at the summit,Bass rock in the background.
007.JPG
Replica Whale jawbones.
008.JPG
Bass rock from North Berwick Law.

Due to the windy conditions,i didn't hang around on the top too long,just long enough to get some photo's & take in the views. Descended by the same route until i reached the gorse bushes where i turned left to skirt around the eastern flanks on the obvious path & then a 2nd left turn to drop down towards the flatter,marshy area below.
011.JPG
Looking back to The Law.
Skirting around the boggy area at the bottom(still managed to get a wet foot!) i followed the path out through the gate & between the houses then up to the main road,crossing this before taking the path down the side of the burn to the shore. Turned right at the Golf clubhouse & followed the road to the top where there is a car park giving a good view over to Bass rock
012.JPG
Bass rock.
& then walked back in to town along the lovely sandy beach.
015.JPG
North Berwick shoreline
Nipped into The Ship Inn for a refreshing pint of Fyne Ales Avalanche & caught the train back to Edinburgh to meet a mate who was arriving at 1615. This gave me enough time for a quick wander up Calton Hill.
021.JPG
Calton Hill.
022.JPG
Arthurs Seat from Calton Hill.
024.JPG
Calton Hill trigpoint.

Rolled into the hotel around 0300 after a good night out & more than a few ales & this combined with a touch of laziness scuppered my sunday plans of doing Arthurs Seat,but not to worry,it'll be there to do another day! I'd definately recommend North Berwick Law though,i really enjoyed it.
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Re: North Berwick Law

Postby laconic surf » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:16 am

Glad you enjoyed your trip.
I think many a climb up Arthur's Seat has been scuppered by the previous night's entertainment :lol:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby morag1 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Really nice report - you wont believe how many times I've set off to do North Berwick Law then turned back at the last minute :?
Hope to make it there soon

also nice to see Calton Hill, in my mind its a wee gem with some of the best views of Edinburgh around :D
morag1

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:53 pm

Brilliant stuff MM :D

You captured some cracking images in your photos, I should maybe take more time with mine :D

Glad to see you're getting your legs warmed up for Kintail. I haven't bought the macaroni pies yet but I can assure you- I most certainly will be:lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 pm

Thanks MM - a very enjoyable WR

Nice to have this wee hill featured. I'm not saying I'm local but the trig point is 20 minutes from my front door.
The Law features many outcrops for scrambling on the east and south sides as well as nice walks up the west side.
It also has a quarry on the southern boundary that features in climbing magazines and sites
http://www.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/North_Berwick_Law_Quarry

All in all, a great wee training ground (and the real ale in the Ship was very impressively spotted). Any WH visitors welcome to pm in advance for company up the law. (Off topic, but golf also available....well it is North Berwick)
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:46 pm

laconic surf wrote:Glad you enjoyed your trip.
I think many a climb up Arthur's Seat has been scuppered by the previous night's entertainment :lol:

Cheers,it's not the first time i've not made it up Arthurs Seat either! :lol:

morag1 wrote:Really nice report - you wont believe how many times I've set off to do North Berwick Law then turned back at the last minute :?
Hope to make it there soon

also nice to see Calton Hill, in my mind its a wee gem with some of the best views of Edinburgh around :D

Thanks morag1. I'd definitely recommmend North Berwick Law to anybody,nice straight forward route up & you're rewarded with some stunning views. Got to agree with you about Calton Hill,great views,my mate who lives in Edinburgh says it's a great spot to watch the sunset. Nice to be up there when it wasn't too busy.

pollyh33 wrote:Brilliant stuff MM :D

You captured some cracking images in your photos, I should maybe take more time with mine :D

Glad to see you're getting your legs warmed up for Kintail. I haven't bought the macaroni pies yet but I can assure you- I most certainly will be:lol: :lol:

Thanks Polly. I really need to get out more before Kintail,my 'mountain fitness' isn't what i'd like at the moment,only managed one other trip of any note this year so far,everytime i'm off the weather has been rubbish! Glad you haven't bought the Macaroni pies yet,reckon they may have gone a bit hard by the time we get to Kintail! :lol:

Scotjamie wrote:Thanks MM - a very enjoyable WR

Nice to have this wee hill featured. I'm not saying I'm local but the trig point is 20 minutes from my front door.
The Law features many outcrops for scrambling on the east and south sides as well as nice walks up the west side.
It also has a quarry on the southern boundary that features in climbing magazines and sites
http://www.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/North_Berwick_Law_Quarry

All in all, a great wee training ground (and the real ale in the Ship was very impressively spotted). Any WH visitors welcome to pm in advance for company up the law. (Off topic, but golf also available....well it is North Berwick)

Cheers Scotjamie,you're very lucky living so close to this hill. Plenty of climbing routes on that website,i had a look at the steepish scramble on the east side but decided against it as i was in jeans & trainers & didn't fancy trashing them!
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:52 pm

Fine report MM,looking forward to meeting you in Kintail.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:57 pm

Cheers GLW,likewise. I'm really looking forward to Kintail. :)
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:42 pm

Great report MM and some cracking pics (even if you were struggling to stand still to take em) don't feel too bad about the next day.....we've all done it :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland