walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dusting off the cobwebs on Schiehallion

Dusting off the cobwebs on Schiehallion

Postby SMRussell » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 04/03/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 731m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well February was an uneventful month on the Munro side... actually on the hill bagging side all together. All because 1. the weather put the other half off most weekends and 2. I busted the big toe nail on my right foot playing netball back in October last year and finally had to admit defeat and have the nail removed. Therefore I was not fit for action for a good few weeks. This resulted in my referring to the toe as 'Gammy' for a month and talking about it as though it were a person in its own right... yup, that's what happens when I don't get into the hills!

Anyway in order to ease us back in gently after a month on low urban ground we thought a jaunt up Schiehallion was in order. The other half didn't like the look of the weather for Saturday so we opted for Sunday. I couldn't wait another day so headed up Mount Battock with fellow walkhighlands member EwaMH on Saturday in non-stop dense clag, wind and rain which served as a good warm-up.

There isn't much to say about the walk itself - the car park was very busy as is to be expected when heading up such a popular hill. We didn't hang about, kitted up sharpish and were soon heading up - axes etc. in tow just in case (although they weren't necessary in the end). It was fairly cloudy so not much to see on the way up which is probably why we made it up in 1 hour and 30 mins. The cloud stayed with us on the summit but just a few minutes after our descent began we were bathed in glorious sunshine - so the 27 people we we passed on the way down were probably treated to great views!

Nice hill to ease us back in after a month off and done in 3 hours so we were back in good time for the rugby 8)
04.03.12 A550 1.jpg
Mini-snowman on the cairn

04.03.12 A550 4.jpg
All we could see (most of the time) on the summit

04.03.12 A550 15.jpg
The sun arrived minutes after leaving the summit

04.03.12 A550 20.jpg
Last edited by SMRussell on Wed May 09, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Dusting off the cobwebs on Schiehallion

Postby kevsbald » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Couple of outstanding photos there - glad to hear you're not toetally out of the game! :lol:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby SMRussell » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:29 pm

kevsbald wrote:Couple of outstanding photos there - glad to hear you're not toetally out of the game! :lol:

Hehe - cheers for the photo comment and double points for the gag :D
SMRussell

Postby dooterbang » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:03 pm

OUCH!!

I lost a big toe nail years ago whilst running a half marathon, was a painful experience.

Good wee walk, which i've yet to do, glad the cobwebs are gone.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:46 pm

Good to see you back SMR, cracking few photos there - that second one is beautiful. Just got my toenail back on the toe beside my pinky ....luckily I hardly noticed it was gone...wouldn't want to do the big toe though :(
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SMRussell » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:11 pm

dooterbang wrote:OUCH!!

I lost a big toe nail years ago whilst running a half marathon, was a painful experience.

Good wee walk, which i've yet to do, glad the cobwebs are gone.

While I loved watching the removal process having the 1st few dressings removed wasn't much fun. Schiehallion was nice but might be an idea to head up very early for sunrise if you fancy some piece and quiet - one of the busiest hills we've ever bagged :shock:

ChrisW wrote:Good to see you back SMR, cracking few photos there - that second one is beautiful. Just got my toenail back on the toe beside my pinky ....luckily I hardly noticed it was gone...wouldn't want to do the big toe though :(

Cheers for the photo comments Chris. Also nice to know I was missed! As for the toe, now that the discomfort of the 1st few weeks has gone its all fine and dandy :D
SMRussell

Postby chickadee » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:32 am

Love the third photo, looks like it turned out to be a gorgeous day in the end. I've had Schiehallion marked down mentally for over a year now, so it's about time I bagged it. Maybe next month that'll be time!
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland