walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three Wainwrights above Buttermere

Three Wainwrights above Buttermere

Postby semcio » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:21 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: High Crag, High Stile, Kirk Fell, Red Pike (Buttermere)

Hewitts included on this walk: High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike (Buttermere)

Date walked: 12/09/2009

Time taken: 5

Distance: 17 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We walked this route on 12th September, but I didn't have time to add it. But here it goes.

We started from Buttermere and climbed three Wainwrights - Red Pike, High Stile and High Crag. We climbed up through Blaeberry Tarn to the first one, and descended through the Gamlin End just before Haystacks. We wanted to climb Haystacks as well, but there was no time unfortunately. Anyway - the weather was perfect, so I took loads of pictures - and thats one of the reasons why we didn't make it to the haystacks :)

Thanks for watching :)
Cheers
semcio

Munros:1   

Re: Three Wainwrights above Buttermere

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:22 pm

Thanks Semcio - that's my favourite part of the Lakes. Your photos are absolutely fantastic too - really do it justice 8) .
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby 37lumleyst » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:38 am

I love the high stile range - it looks like you had the best weather the Lakes can offer and your pictures are simply stunning.

Arent those views West worth every step of the climb though :D
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:13 pm

You really must get onto Haystacks though with your camera - there's so many beautiful compositions, especially featuring the various tarns. The summit tarn and Blackbeck are about the best in my book...
mountain coward

Postby 37lumleyst » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:46 am

mountain coward wrote:You really must get onto Haystacks though with your camera

Like most other folk - I came down via the Scarth Gap Pass and missed Haystacks - I'll have to re-visit the High Stile range and this time take in Haystacks. Not sure if I'll be blessed with a perfect day like Semcio was :?
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Postby monty » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:12 pm

Some of the best pictures I have seen of the area. Tremendous :D Who is doing the Tai Chi on the summit? :D
monty

Postby semcio » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi folks :)

Thanks for Your very kind words about my photos - the weather probably did most of them. But it is really great place with wonderful views in almost every direction. Our aproach was a bit of a gamble, as we didn't know what to expect, but it was absolutely woth it. And the girl on the picure is my girfriend - she was trying to kick the sun back up for another hour or two so we could climb the haystacks as well, but it didn't work. Stubborn little bugger this sun was ;)
semcio

Munros:1   

Postby nugget106 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:17 pm

fanastic!
nugget106
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:8   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:16   
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland