walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Epic day in Glen Lyon

Epic day in Glen Lyon

Postby fipriestley » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:04 am

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Sron a' Choire Chnapanich

Date walked: 03/03/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off slightly later, leaving the car at 10am at Giorra Dam heading towards Stuchd an Lochain. The top was in the clouds and it rained most of the way up (turned to snow at the top), although there was a path all the way. Left the ice axe in the car (again!) but only crossed one small patch of hard snow/ice. Closer to the top the wind picked up just to make it a bit more challenging :roll: :lol:
IMAG0836.jpg
Stuchd an Lochain in the clouds from starting point
SDC12819.JPG
ascending Stuchd an Lochain looking down through clag

Didn't hang about at the summit, even for a photo, but carried on parallel with Loch an Daimh to find a more sheltered spot for lunch. Clouds moved around quickly, making views come and go as if they were stage curtains, until they pretty much cleared and the sun came out as we headed across the pathless, marshy, peat bogs for the Corbett. :D
SDC12822.JPG
sheltered from the wind
SDC12834.JPG
same view 2mins later
SDC12840.JPG
heading up the Corbett looking back to Stuchd an Lochain
SDC12846.JPG
heading up Sron a'Choire Chnapanich
SDC12851.JPG
Loch an Daimh from summit of Sron a'Choire Chnapanich
SDC12858.JPG
sun shines over Rannoch Moor

The wind wasn't so bad at the top of the Corbett, but I hadn't quite appreciated 'picking up' the next Munro meant heading back down to the loch and starting the climb all over again :shock: Still no paths on this hill, so it just meant going straight down, across the flat at the end of the loch then heading straight back up the other side...
IMAG0852.jpg
from Sron a'Choire Chnapanich to the start of the climb for Meall Buidhe
SDC12864.JPG
steep descent from Sron a'Choire Chnapanich!
By this time my knees and soles of my feet were reminding me I'd just spent almost 6hrs in heels without sitting down :problem: Luckily my brain hadn't quite registered the <3hrs sleep I then had before setting off on this outing! :crazy: :lol:

Choosing to see the next Munro as the way back to the car (so close anyway, no point in even considering the easier option of walking back along the side of the loch!) The start of the final ascent was really tough though! Very steep, no path, through patches of heather, and the rain came back on :roll:
IMAG0853.jpg
heading straight up the middle
IMAG0860.jpg
passing a cairn on Meall Buidhe looking across to Stuchd an Lochain

Must have been close to 5pm when we reached Meall Buidhe summit. The clag was back and the wind was up again, so we quickly headed back towards the car at the dam. The path disappeared after a short time but it was straightforward, although very boggy, getting back down. Made it without head torches but by the time we were changed and ready to drive off it was nightfall. HUGE sense of achievement with this mammoth outing but I was definitely ready to go for a Lyon down! :wink:
Last edited by fipriestley on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Epic day in Glen Lyon

Postby chickadee » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:06 am

Looks a bit dreich indeed! I love Glen Lyon, never done any proper walking there though so this is really useful and interesting to read. I love the pic where the sun's rays are shining through the clouds, really nice.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby andyfitz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:12 am

Good going.
I've been meaning to get round to this walk for ages. Looks much better than doing the Munros from the dam.
Enjoyed the report.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby rockhopper » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:35 am

Well done - great result for the conditions and time of year :thumbup: Seems much better than the usual up, down, up down for the two munros - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby quoman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:42 am

Well done Fi

It sure is a big walk, plus the bog when you start to go down Stuchd an Lochain then round to the corbett
goes on for ages, done the same route as you last year.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby monty » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:10 am

good report Fi.
As has been said makes a nice round rather than bagging both munros from the Dam. Looks like a tough ascent up the second munro :D
monty

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Epic indeed. Great report. We were almost heading to these Munros yesterday but decided on something a bit closer to home. We were just going to do the both from the dam,but this route adds that bit extra. Will keep this in mind for our visit.

Cheers.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby scoob999 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Well done for doing these in that weather :shock:
Have your boots dried out yet :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby fipriestley » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks everyone! Definitely recommend this route over doing the 2 munros from the dam - just get a good rest the night before :lol:

Still using the gortex liners Scoob - my feet stayed dry! Boots will be dried out in plenty time for this weekend :D
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:19 pm

A grand report that, and a big day out for the time of year :clap: . I have my eye on this one for sometime in the summer - don't think I'd tackle it in March though or I'd definitely end up walking home in the dark :lol: ! Very useful to have the photos of your route down and back up at the end of the loch - it looks a bit steep, that.
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland