walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Alder, Jetboil, and The Rab Alpine 600 Sleeping Bag

Ben Alder, Jetboil, and The Rab Alpine 600 Sleeping Bag

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:00 pm

Route description: Ben Alder and Beinn Bheòil from Culra

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bheoil, Ben Alder

Date walked: 04/03/2012

Time taken: 8.6 hours

Distance: 50.1 km

Ascent: 1343m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was itching to test the new gear and get a wilderness fix... The plan was the Fisherfield 5/6 but the weather forecast wasn't great so instead Craig and I decided on my unfinished two at Ben Alder from Dalwhinnie...

The cycle in on Saturday afternoon was tough, into a strong wind, and neither of us had done anything on the bike in some years, but no matter, in an hour and quarter or so we were at our chosen pitch just to the north of the Bothy on an Island in the River...

With the Hilleberg pitched it was now down to serious Business... 4 bottles of red wine; testing the Jetboil Titanium Stove; and then sleep in the new Rab Alpine 600 Bags that weigh only 1 kg... Lightweight gear is great; more allowance for wine :)

So the Jetboil passed, we reckoned about 35 seconds to boil the water for the Spag Bol - incredible...

The wine passed, we went through all of that...

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 01.JPG
The Jetboil; Spag Bol; and Top Gun...

And I can honestly say the Rab Alpine 600 is the most comfortable and warm nights sleep I've ever had in a tent. It was epic!! Buy one...

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 02.JPG
The Rab Alpine 600 Sleeping Bag - Big Thumbs Up...

A touch of snow overnight, and a view of the frosty pitch at 6 am...

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 03.JPG
Early Morning; A Touch of Frost

Decided against the Long Leachas; we'd had fresh snow; I knew it was a scramble, and we had the woofer, so round the back and up it was... No matter though walking past the loch was gorgeous...

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 04.JPG
Leitir nan Leac with Sron Bealach Beithe

It's a steep ascent up to the plateau ridge but nothing uncomfortable and then you're greeted with the sight of the drama of the cliffs to the east...

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 05.JPG
Cornices on Ben Alder Plateau Ridge

It's then an easy 1.5 km walk to the summit where there's nothing uncomfortable, pretty flat all in all...

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 06.JPG
Me on the summit of Ben Alder

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 07.JPG
The summit of Ben Alder

Retracing our steps and the next target came back into view; and from here on the weather just got better and better :)

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 08.JPG
Looking toward Beinn Bheoil

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 09.JPG
The Descent is to the left of this... Worry not!

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 10.JPG
Loch a' Bheallaich Bheithe

My favourite pic of the day looking toward Beinn Bheoil; proper wilderness; miles from anywhere. No evidence of human presence, and not a soul in sight... Perfect :D

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 11.JPG
Loch a' Bheallaich Bheithe & Beinn Bheoil

The walk up to Beinn Bheoil is nothing and you'll be there in no time... A nice little ridge with nothing uncomfortable; straight forward walking and no scrambling.

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 12.JPG
Looking back toward Sron Coire na h-lolhaire from the ridge of Beinn Bheoil

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 13.JPG
The final climb to Beinn Bheoil

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 14.JPG
Scraggles on the summit of Beinn Bheoil

The great expanse to the North East; and out route back... Looking stunning in the sunshine...

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 15.JPG
The view North East... Lock Ericht and the long route home to the right

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 16.JPG
Looking back at Ben Alder

Back at the tent - we didn't see anyone in the hills today despite the weather being so nice - though we were lucky with that - the four munros to the west were shrouded in clag all day...

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 17.JPG
Back at the Hilly... And the route home and the snow shower that just passed over us...

There are numerous places to pitch your tent here; I prefer to stay away from the Bothy at Culra - I like drifting off to sleep with the sound of a running river... :D

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder 18.JPG
The Pitch and Ben Alder in mid afternoon sunshine

So all in the walk @ 22.5 km - then time for the cycle back...

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder Walk Stats.jpg
The Walk Stats...

After the cycle back...

2012 - 03 - 04 - 1546 - Ben Alder Full Stats.jpg
Plus the Cycle Back to Dalwhinnie...

And the route for Sunday only... But the cycle in obviously the same as the cycle out so this is all you need...

2012 - 03 - 04 - Ben Alder.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Ben Alder, Jetboil, and The Rab Alpine 600 Sleeping Bag

Postby Bod » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:12 am

Nice one Andrew, quite a trip there. I love hearing the river too as I drift off into a fine sleep ... :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby fraochydug » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:32 am

how much room in the tent? enough for two without having to be too intimate? as in, enough for 2 to move around in?
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby quoman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:17 am

Quality report Andrew,4 bottle of wine i would still be in the tent sleeping :lol: never mind climb 2 munros.
quoman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby monty » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:27 am

Nice report Andrew. Thats quite a cycle in which I will have to do at some point in the near future. Looks cosy in the Rab sleeping bag. Nice to see a dusting of snow on the hills. 2 bottles of wine each :shock: :D
monty

Postby Tomsie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:19 pm

Stunning photo's
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby craigee » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Cheers for the great report Partner – and thanks for your supreme navigation and organisation as always.
What an epic adventure that was. If anyone fancies total wilderness then this is place for you. My first venture into Ericht/Laggan and I can’t wait to head back in and bag some more. As for the bike ride in – ouch !

A couple of points:-

• 4 bottles of red wine - you forgot the 2-tins of Strongbow!
• Maximum speed = 49.1Kph – That’s a touch over 30-mph. Expect an appropriate points endorsement from Highland Constabulary. You were freewheeling as well, so with a little effort you could have breached the 40mph barrier! We lost Rocco at a touch over 25kph! :lol:
• Best Spag Bol in the world

Rocco was absolutely and utterly wrecked last night. This morning however, at 6am, he’s up and woofing to go again !
Until next time ....
Slanj
Scraggles
craigee
Mountain Walker

Munros:210   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby PeteR » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:52 pm

Nice report of these hills, which I still have to do. So it's good to hear what others think of the routes up and down. Enjoyed your pictures too, with the snow making a (probably brief) reappearance.

Good to hear the positive feedback on the Jetboil too. It's on my shopping list :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:25 pm

Cracking report and pics Andrew - helluva distance covered too. Nice to see some snow around :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby andrewdoggett » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Bod wrote:Nice one Andrew, quite a trip there. I love hearing the river too as I drift off into a fine sleep ... :D

Thanks Bod - look forward to catching up at the end of the month in Kintail! No more walk-off's with Monty though, got the kids is my excuse... :lol:

fraochydug wrote:how much room in the tent? enough for two without having to be too intimate? as in, enough for 2 to move around in?

I think plenty roomy enough - we had a black lab aswell (Rocco)

quoman wrote:Quality report Andrew,4 bottle of wine i would still be in the tent sleeping :lol: never mind climb 2 munros.

The wine nearly did for Scraggles; he was struggling up Ben Alder ;)

monty wrote:Nice report Andrew. Thats quite a cycle in which I will have to do at some point in the near future. Looks cosy in the Rab sleeping bag. Nice to see a dusting of snow on the hills. 2 bottles of wine each :shock: :D

Thanks Monty - YOU could do all six easily enough in one outing without camping especially with a cycle in - there's very little descent / re-ascent involved on the four to the west after the initial climb up. Good to camp though, and get a wilderness fix, nice by the river :D

The Rab Sleeping Bag really is the business - you should get one for your 'love truck' :D :D :lol: :lol:

craigee wrote:Cheers for the great report Partner – and thanks for your supreme navigation and organisation as always.

Pleasure - thanks for coming along and carrying the wine!! A good trip - Poor Rocco - 22.5 km and we're back at the tent, he's excited because he knows it's home; then we pack up and he has a 14km run behind the bike... What a dog :D

PeteR wrote:Nice report of these hills, which I still have to do. So it's good to hear what others think of the routes up and down. Enjoyed your pictures too, with the snow making a (probably brief) reappearance.

Good to hear the positive feedback on the Jetboil too. It's on my shopping list :D

Thanks Pete - nice hills these - so far into the wilderness they're usually empty also... All six are good in my view, for that reason alone :)

Get the Jetboil!! 300 grams, jeez!

ChrisW wrote:Cracking report and pics Andrew - helluva distance covered too. Nice to see some snow around :D

Thanks Chris - mostly good paths here, plus the cycle in so distance not really an issue.
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby kevsbald » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Fabulous report - I considered taking my Beolit 12 on my next trip...who can take the most luxurious item on to the hill, I wonder?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby starrynights » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:22 pm

I'm planning on taking a leg of lamb and a solar powered rotisserie on the Liathach walk - plus a nice bottle of Château de Chasselas. Think that's reasonably luxurious!!
starrynights
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland