walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm

Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm

Postby Stug » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 04/03/2012

Time taken: 9.08 hours

Distance: 29.41 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The alarm goes off at 4.15am and I wearily slip out of bed.
I'm picking Doug and Sean up in Dundee at 5.30, so I stumble about the kitchen making some porridge and a cup of tea, then put the final bits and pieces in my pack.
Today we are climbing a big one.......Ben Macdui along with Derry Cairngorm!!
I drive through to Dundee, pick up Doug and Sean and we hit the road.
1.5hrs later we arrive at the Linn of Dee car park and wait for Ian (Winks to his friends).
After a while we are geared up and start the fairly long walk firstly through the forest and then following the burn towards the Derry Lodge.
DSC_0470.JPG

DSC_0473.JPG

We decide to scale Ben Macdui first so we cross the Derry Burn and head left up Glen Luibeg
Soon we can see Sron Riach in the distance and we cross the burn again and start the long, long trek up
DSC_0475.JPG

DSC_0476.JPG

DSC_0478.JPG

We keep going as the temp drops and the snow appears on the ground.
After a wee stop for a cup of coffee/tea and get ready for the final push up to the summit of Ben Macdui
DSC_0480.JPG
Sean the Ninja

The going gets tough as the big stones and boulders (covered in snow) make our muscles ache but the views just get better and better.
DSC_0481.JPG

DSC_0482.JPG

At last we reach the summit in an artic like wilderness, and stop for a break and something to eat and drink.
DSC_0486.JPG

DSC_0484.JPG

We head back down slightly and have a peek over the Coire Sputan Dearg cliffs for some great views.
DSC_0488.JPG

DSC_0489.JPG

DSC_0490.JPG

DSC_0491.JPG

We head down towards Creagan a'Choire Etchachan and I manage to catch a rainbow in the bleak looking distance.
DSC_0492.JPG

We slip around the side of Creagan a'Choire Etchachan and carry on towards Derry Cairngorm with our legs growing heavier and heavier by the minute!!
The sun makes an appearance and the scenery around us looks awesome.
DSC_0494.JPG

DSC_0497.JPG

We stumble our way up to the summit and Doug and his weary legs pose for a photo.
DSC_0499.JPG

We make our way back down in to the pine forest again and are glad to be off those damn stones and boulders! :D
DSC_0500.JPG

We pass by Derry lodge and make the seemingly endless trudge back to the car again.
Great walk and we all enjoyed it and the weather was fairly kind to us, so all round a great day!! :thumbup:
Stug
Munro compleatist

Munros:21   

Re: Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm

Postby RicKamila » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Cant wait until the day we gather up the courage to go hillwalking in winter. As nice as May-October is for us, this just looks amazing. Thanks for sharing :)
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby macq23 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:04 pm

Great report!! Those stones and boulders at Derry Cairngorm sure are something else, really tested my aching legs and that was in nice summer weather as well!! :lol:
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Postby Alastair S » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Nice one Stug. I probably just missed you at the Linn of Dee as I set off on my bike around 8am and didn't pass anyone on the track up to Glen Derry. You also got they timing spot on as there was still a bit of clag hanging around Ben Macdui around noon (when I was up Derry Cairngorm) but it cleared around 1pm. I also got some photos of the same rainbow. A bike is a godsend for the return from Derry Lodge. I'd never mange these bit days without it (in my dotage :lol: )
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Tomsie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:37 pm

The views over from Beinn Bhreac was stunning
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby bobscottsbothy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Great photos stug.alias gt
bobscottsbothy
Stravaiging

Munros:103   Corbetts:35
Fionas:10   
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Stug » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:30 pm

bobscottsbothy wrote:Great photos stug.alias gt

Ahh....the one and only GT!!

Thanks mate!
Stug
Munro compleatist

Munros:21   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland