walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Argyll Double

Argyll Double

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 04/03/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1221m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We'd been lookin at several different hills for the weekend. Then a last minute entry and recommendation from a mate brought us to Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich for the day.

Picked up Martin 'Mears' in town and we headed to meet Dave at parking area at bridge. The rain,sleat and snow on the drive didn't give much hope for a clear day on the hill. The hills we were going walk came into view as we headed up the side of Loch Awe,so i grabbed a pic while i could in case it was the last i seen of it !!

Then i turned round to see 'Mears' tryin to hitch a lift back down the road. :shock: He gave up after 5 minutes as there was no other traffic on the road :lol:

By 8am we were booted up and just crossing the cattle grid at start of farm track. The snow had stopped but the the clag remained. Through a few gates to where the highland cows with their calves were waiting. Dave had brought his dog (Diesel),so as mummy cow squared upto us we dicided to take the not so scenic wide route through the bogs and marsh to avoid any cow conflict !!! Continuing up the track it seamed to get warmer,a hint of blue sky brought the top of the hill briefly into view. Time to get a layer off as things started to clear up.....................yessssssss !! :)

Time to bore you with some(many pics). Everywhere we looked ,more hills came into view.

Continued on track till we turned right and onto the hill at the small cairn. The walk up to the ridge seemed to take a while,stopping for the usual photos ( breather ). The surroundings were just gettin better and better.

Almost at the top

Sadly the clag was upon us at the top of the ridge,but not to thick and visibilty was acceptable :lol: We headed west over to Beinn a'Chochuill .

Looking back along ridge

Onwards

A great walk to Summit,shame no views. There was not a breath of wind,which was quite strange,yet enjoyable,as we could sit down and have somethin to eat.

Even Kate Winslet made it to the top ????

After 20/25 mins we retraced our steps and continued along the ridge to our next target. Tried to get some pics of where we'd been,but never really cleared enough.

As we continued along the ridge we felt the wind behind us,which gave us the extra push we needed :lol: The ascent to Beinn Eunaich came into view. It looked steep in places..........it was.

To Loch Etive

It was now the final push to the summit,the rocky hillside beckoned and before we knew it we were at the summit.

Not hanging about to long at the top we started the descent to the track. Along the top gradualy dropping till we got to the peat hags.......................then it was really down hill !!!! If you don't suffer knee problems,you will after this !!! :lol:

Looking back to first ascent and getting back down to the track.

Best sighting of a cairn........................ever !!! That descent was the hardest bit of the walk !!!!

Once we done a bit of track worshiping we headed back to the car. We met the farmer back at the highland cows and had a wee chat.

Dave askin, 'What about walking past the cows with the dog with out thw wide bearth?'.
Farmer, ' Not advisable to go to close with the dog. If the cows come towards or run at you ,let the dog go'
Martin 'Er.........what do we do?'
Me 'RUN'
Martin 'You'll not out run a cow in that bog!!!!!'
Me ' No but i'll make sure i out run you,you can take one for the team!!!' :lol:

Martin decided to brave it and walked through them,as we headed back up,out the gate and down the side of the fence with the dog just to make sure.

A great walk again....weather,wildlife and a laugh. Oh,2 munros as well 8)
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Argyll Double

Postby Tomsie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:32 pm

Well done smiffysmc, stunning photo's especially the ones above the clouds
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:37 pm

Tomsie wrote:Well done smiffysmc, stunning photo's especially the ones above the clouds

Cheers,how you get on with your Viewranger at the weekend ? Never seen any more posts from you so guessed your battery had run out on the hill. :lol:
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby metafor » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Cracking photo's there smiffysmc!
metafor
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:00 pm

fabbydozy there Smiffy, I'm looking forward to these two. do you think doing it the other way round would be easier on the knees?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:11 pm

metafor wrote:Cracking photo's there smiffysmc!

Cheers metafor,we're just glad to be able to see somethin for a change so picture happy.

mrssanta wrote:fabbydozy there Smiffy, I'm looking forward to these two. do you think doing it the other way round would be easier on the knees?

We did talk about this when we got down,but i think the ascent would be a killer. There's the option to head further down the ridge before getting off the hill,or return the way you came,but that would add a good wee bit extra to the walk. Think we all took a wee slide coming down that last bit. Think i went for 15 meter slide,shoud have had the ice axe out for the grass :lol: Dare say if we took more time to get down it might not have been so harsh,but we just wanted to get on the track again. :)

Cheers
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby Tomsie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:52 pm

smiffysmc wrote:
Tomsie wrote:
Cheers,how you get on with your Viewranger at the weekend ? Never seen any more posts from you so guessed your battery had run out on the hill. :lol:

Your not too far wrong, will post on thread during the week about it, wasnt to impressed app is off phone and all
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby dgesl » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:24 pm

Reading this report again ! Great way to get rid of the mid week work blues ! :D
dgesl
Mountaineer

Munros:164   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Fudgie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Great pictures smiffy and the hills look great covered in snow. I did them about a month before you on a cloudy day which got very wet by the time we reached the second summit. We walked through the cows on the way up but when one broke into a jog I vaulted the fence :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Great photos...the ones with the clouds look amazing!!! Just great to be out in the hills on days like that!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland